• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire To Support Poser 10/Pro 2014 And DAZ Studio 4.10 And Above

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can well understand being afraid of changing old code. It's like going down the rabbit hole ... with cannibalistic rabbits that haven't fed in ages hiding in dark spaces.

D

Deleted member 325

@Ken1171 they are actually fairly recent issues(I wouldn't quite call them grudges...I have grudges with Daz and my attitudes about them are fairly well known), and the largest is this obscene license manager that has caused nothing but trouble since they snuck it in the back door on me in the Game Dev version. I have lost a lot of time because of how poorly the offline system works, and the need to repeat it every six months. Couple that with an open current tech support issue which has not received a response in 2 months, and the fact the letter I sent a month ago has not received a response, and there is no way I intend to spend my limited funds on another version of Poser
I'm not saying my attitudes can't change - but it would take SMS reaching out to me at this point, because I have already spent enough effort reaching out to them with no useful result. I am disheartened by it all.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@KageRyu I hear you, man. SMS has proven to be a rather complicated company to deal with. From the beginning I was suspecting it would be a problem that SMS is a software retailing company, where Poser would be one more program they sell in their store. Poser is not like other software. It has it's own culture and history, but I guess SMS never wanted to get into that. The poof was that SMS never wanted to touch Content Paradise, because they already have their own store to run, and it ended up with CP having no staff to run it for years,.

Imagine this - CP was being ran by the Poser dev team! And of course, they didn't have time to handle both things at the same time, and CP ended up neglected for years. Now, out of the blues, SMS has decided to bring CP out from the ashes, but apparently that won't recover customers trust back so easily.

On one hand, SMS has done more to evolve Poser than all the previous companies together. On the other, the fact that Poser is just one of the many other software they sell doesn't help to bring focus to it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I can well understand being afraid of changing old code. It's like going down the rabbit hole ... with cannibalistic rabbits that haven't fed in ages hiding in dark spaces.

One of the things I have discussed with Larry Weinberg was the need for Poser to support Unimesh internally., He promptly said that would require rewriting almost all of the Poser core, where most other parts would be affected, They understood the importance of it, but nobody wanted to do it, There was a pretty good chance that SMS wouldn't allow them do to this as well. It would take a long time, money, and it could break everything. Too risky. That's they way software companies think. I have worked for many.

In a way, it feels like Poser is still using code from an ancient version, and nobody wants to change it. They ended up patching the old code to resolve the rigging issues with workarounds instead of fixing. Most of the software companies I have worked for did thing this same exact way, until things started to break, and only then fired everyone and finally rewrote the whole thing from scratch with a new team.

SMS has already got to the fire-everyone part, but show no signs of wanting to rewrite Poser. I don't think they are in a financial situation to allow that at this point.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Ken1171 they are actually fairly recent issues(I wouldn't quite call them grudges...I have grudges with Daz and my attitudes about them are fairly well known), and the largest is this obscene license manager that has caused nothing but trouble since they snuck it in the back door on me in the Game Dev version. I have lost a lot of time because of how poorly the offline system works, and the need to repeat it every six months. Couple that with an open current tech support issue which has not received a response in 2 months, and the fact the letter I sent a month ago has not received a response, and there is no way I intend to spend my limited funds on another version of Poser
I'm not saying my attitudes can't change - but it would take SMS reaching out to me at this point, because I have already spent enough effort reaching out to them with no useful result. I am disheartened by it all.

I would agree with the license manager (or deactivation feature) being obscene as was the way it was introduced. I did contact SM tech support when I was having issues activating a copy of Poser 11 in Unix surprisingly they were very helpful even though Unix is not supported. They did look into the issue and once again the problem is the license manager which will not allow the activation. I can run Poser pro 2014 in Unix using wine so there is at least a chance poser 11 would work if it could get passed the activation process.

Poser 11 is a both a blessing and a curse for me, I love superfly and now do not use firefly for any of my renders but it crashes a little too often for my liking and for some reason the morph brush is nowhere near as fluid as it is in Poser Pro 2014.

Hornet3d

Wise
@KageRyu I hear you, man. SMS has proven to be a rather complicated company to deal with. From the beginning I was suspecting it would be a problem that SMS is a software retailing company, where Poser would be one more program they sell in their store. Poser is not like other software. It has it's own culture and history, but I guess SMS never wanted to get into that. The poof was that SMS never wanted to touch Content Paradise, because they already have their own store to run, and it ended up with CP having no staff to run it for years,.

Imagine this - CP was being ran by the Poser dev team! And of course, they didn't have time to handle both things at the same time, and CP ended up neglected for years. Now, out of the blues, SMS has decided to bring CP out from the ashes, but apparently that won't recover customers trust back so easily.

On one hand, SMS has done more to evolve Poser than all the previous companies together. On the other, the fact that Poser is just one of the many other software they sell doesn't help to bring focus to it.

If I have money to spend I normally try and spend it here at Hivewire but I have purchased some items by Vanishingpoint, that was not available here, over at CP and I have to say I like it. I know some hate they fact you have to pay for extended download, which I never do, but for me it is something I dislike but can live with. I like the new store and I also like the fact they email you if any of the items in your wishlist is going to be on sale and the dates of the sale. This is normally a week or so before so it does give a little while to plan your finances, particularly if the sale is a long one.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Hornet3d I have no issues buying from CP other than they don't have much of Dawn products to offer, so I have little to buy there.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Hornet3d I only sell a single Dawn outfit there, and that was enough to know that people are NOT looking for Dawn contents there.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d I only sell a single Dawn outfit there, and that was enough to know that people are NOT looking for Dawn contents there.

I know there are a lot of people who will not shop there on principle due to the policy on charging for extended download, it is not an issue for me but I do understand where they are coming from and support their decision. Searching for Dawn at CP comes up with 78 products and from that you have to remove those that relate to the time of day rather than the figure so I can see why buyers would not go there for Dawn content. I have purchased a couple of the outfits but a fair number are DS only, some are eye textures which have burnt in reflections so I would never use them and a few are jewellery which I would use very sparingly. So there is little Dawn content that I would use that I have not already purchased. This is however a fair amount of sci fi stuff and I also think that SM, having been bugged into updating CP, should be supported and it would be a shame not to use it now they have.

Reading your reply and looking at again at my original comment I see it is not correct and although it was not my intent it is misleading I should correct it and say that almost all the Dawn content I buy today is from Hivewire. When I started out I purchased Dawn stuff from both Renderosity and RDNA but with RDNA gone and the fact that I will not buy from Renderosity that leaves Hivewire. I do occasionally buy from Daz3D but of course that is never going to be any content for Dawn and then there is the odd purchase from CP. I do however try and spend my money here not only on Dawn outfits but also on the animals, materials and scenes. I think I have almost every dynamic outfit from Lully on sale here pretty well every Dawn morph pack and some of the different materials for Lisas Botanicals. I spend here because I want to support the whole Hivewire team and the vendors but I do also occasionally buy at Daz because I also want to support those few vendors who still create content that will work in Poser straight from the box. My recent purchase from Vanishingpoint at CP was for an aircraft and booster packs but I did check his store here to make sure that the same content was not available here. It was on sale at CP at the time but I would have honestly purchased it from here at full price had it have been available.

I like to keep my runtimes fresh and add to them as I have ideas but I can only do that to a limited amount here at Hivewire. That is not a complaint, just a statement of fact, they are a small team who want to ensure they provide some of the best creations out there which I fully support and long may it continue. If the supply of content I want does not fully use up the money I have to spend then I will look elsewhere but my spend elsewhere is very selective and thus limited.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Hornet3d Yeah, I support CP by keeping my store there. They used to be a much more popular store in the past, until SMS decided they didn't want to support it for years, and people lost faith on them. Trust is easy to loose, and hard to recover. I don't think SMS is doing enough to recover people's faith on CP, but on the other hand they don't have enough people to run that place. Like you, I support HW much more because this has become my new home since I left Rosity. I don't buy much from RO, but they have plenty of Dawn products. That is a good thing, but I don't know if it was a thing of the moment. I will have to check it there if new Dawn contents are still coming in.