• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire To Support Poser 10/Pro 2014 And DAZ Studio 4.10 And Above

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Thanks for the updated info. I use DS4.10 for all my testing/rendering.

Since I'm not a Poser user, what does Poser 10+ mean? Does that mean PP2014 is still supported, or only P10 and P11? Just want to clarify.

Hornet3d

Wise

Since I'm not a Poser user, what does Poser 10+ mean? Does that mean PP2014 is still supported, or only P10 and P11? Just want to clarify.

I would suspect that means that Poser 2014 is supported as today it would probably be called Poser 10 Pro, it should also include the Game Dev version that is 2014 with bits added.

I can understand the change and although it does not affect me today I know it may well in the future as I have stopped at Poser 2014, well Game Dev really but I don't use it. It is sad that those who cannot afford the upgrade or, like me, cannot justify the price get left behind but I don't expect other artists to stay in the past because I have have.

Thanks for passing on the new rules, it helps us not only in buying now but also adds to my buying decisions going forward, in the sense that being left behind might tip the balance on when deciding if any given upgrade can be justified.

eclark1894

Visionary

As Hornet said, Poser 2014 is simply Poser Pro 10. As you can see with Poser Pro 11, SM has decided to stop naming the software after the year it was released, and stick with the conventional numerical version as t was causing some confusion.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There are also cases where I made products that were supposed to work in P9, but during testing it wouldn't work for inexplicable reasons. I did everything to make it compatible with P9, but it still wouldn't work - and what's worse - I don't know why. I have heard this from other CAs as well, and there is a chance there might be a bug in Poser 11 that causes that. And like Alisa said, I don't have P9 and neither do my testers.

SMS has fixed a TON of bugs in Poser 11, more than in other versions before it, but these many changes might have compromised backwards compatibility with P9 in some cases, so to the best of my ability, I simply don't know if things will work there nowadays, and I can't test it.

Coming from that, this might be a move for the better.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
There are also cases where I made products that were supposed to work in P9, but during testing it wouldn't work for inexplicable reasons. I did everything to make it compatible with P9, but it still wouldn't work - and what's worse - I don't know why. I have heard this from other CAs as well, and there is a chance there might be a bug in Poser 11 that causes that. And like Alisa said, I don't have P9 and neither do my testers.

SMS has fixed a TON of bugs in Poser 11, more than in other versions before it, but these many changes might have compromised backwards compatibility with P9 in some cases, so to the best of my ability, I simply don't know if things will work there nowadays, and I can't test it.

Coming from that, this might be a move for the better.

And I am seeing the exact same thing as Ken. I do have P9, though, and my testing just further confirms the widening gap between version compatibility.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think others have noted this, but yes, Poser Pro 2014 is the pro version of Poser 10. Anything that works in P10 will work in PP2014 and should certainly work in Game Dev.

I think we have seen some things that were rigged in P11 which do not work in P9.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well one very good thing about Poser is one can easily have more than one version of it on the same machine which can be done with DS but it's difficult to do. I've always had at least 2 versions of Poser on any of my machines at one time, starting with P5. And they can share the same content libraries easily. The sales they have on updating to newer versions are pretty good these days, especially if one isn't in a huge hurry to get the latest and greatest.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just to let you all know that we are now going to be listing all new DAZ Studio version products (HiveWire or CA) as compatible with DS 4.10+. This does not mean that things might not work in DS 4.9 and below, but we are only testing in 4.10 so can not guarantee compatibility with lower versions.

Poser products continue to be listed as compatible with Poser 10+ (or 11+ for Superfly only products) and are only tested by Beta and QAV in those versions.

As previously noted - usually we ask that people set the internal version of the files to the lowest version that it the product intended for, but if you have things you think probably will work in Poser 9, you can set the internal versions to either version 9 OR version 10. However, both the ReadMe and Product pages will reflect Poser 10+.

Thank you!

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
That's good. I'm using DS 4.10 and it's stable for me.

Anyway, in order to use G8 figures you have to at least have DS 4.9.4, so 4.10 makes sense.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yep. We like to wait til it IS stable.

I can now install 4.10. Haven't had any way to even try dForce so that'll be fun when I get a chance ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A word of caution for CAs wanting to make new products compatible all the way back to Poser 9:

It has become impractical for me to test anything in Poser 9 because none of my beta-testers have that version by now. I don't have it installed either. In addition, products I have created in PP11 that I have explicitly tried to make them compatible with P9 did NOT work. I have stopped trying, because PP11 has changes done to it that make contents created with it incompatible with P9 at materials and morphs level. If I try to create the products in PP10, there is another problem - the rigging tools are broken, and SMS will not fix them because it's not the current Poser version.

So one way or another, I just cannot make my new products also work in P9. Alisa is my witness for how much and for how long I have tried it. If I could, I would. But now it's no longer possible for technical and practical reasons. Having that said, HW's decision to support only P10+ products was wise. In my experience, it couldn't be any other way.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I can confirm this, as I still have P9 installed, and new products I've beta tested in both P9 and PP11 which were created in PP2014 or PP11, just don't work correctly, so I've stopped beta testing in P9. I'll eventually move all of my P9 Runtime to PP11, but for now I can just access it from PP11, so I can use those older products, but I'm no longer testing with the older version of Poser.

D

Deleted member 325

...If I try to create the products in PP10, there is another problem - the rigging tools are broken, and SMS will not fix them because it's not the current Poser version..

This is in a nutshell why I am fed up with Smith Micro and at this point Poser - because the last version I paid to upgrade too had a number of game breaking bugs that never got fixed, and now they will not fix them but expect me to upgrade again. I even took the time to write a lengthy, detailed letter to SM outlining my concerns with these issues, the license manager issues, poor technical support responses (in length of time and attitude) and they have simply chosen to ignore me - despite my having purchased every ordinal update of the pro version from Poser 7 to Game Dev.

~sigh~

I loved poser once upon a time.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is in a nutshell why I am fed up with Smith Micro and at this point Poser - because the last version I paid to upgrade too had a number of game breaking bugs that never got fixed, and now they will not fix them but expect me to upgrade again. I even took the time to write a lengthy, detailed letter to SM outlining my concerns with these issues, the license manager issues, poor technical support responses (in length of time and attitude) and they have simply chosen to ignore me - despite my having purchased every ordinal update of the pro version from Poser 7 to Game Dev.

I know it's not easy, but SMS has fixed most of the issues in P11. It wasn't all at once - P11 started off quite buggy, but having Chuck Taylor as product manager go the dev team in high gear, and 6 service releases were produced just in the first 8 months. That's almost one every month. Not only the fixed the rigging tools, but also added new features in the updates - some of which by my request, like rotating brush in the Morphing Tool.

I also couldn't stand SMS tech support, but things got much better since I have joined their beta team, for now I can talk to the devs directly. They were in high gear until SMS has fired everybody, to include the original Poser creator, Larry Weinberg. Now I don't know anybody in the dev team, so it's kind of awkward.

So any grudges you may hold against Poser, now it's a whole new team working on it. I can't even tell what to expect from the next version, but I suspect it will not come out on the regular schedule. The new team is new to the Poser code, and the old one was afraid of changing it. Whatever happens from now on will be from a completely different perspective. It can be either good or bad. We will gave to wait and see.