• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Rodent Infestation?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Been working over this Rat the last couple of days. Just fine tune tweaking now, and the inner mouth and teeth to morph.

Ratwork23.JPG

Ratwork24.JPG

Ratwork25.JPG

Ratwork26.JPG

Ratwork27.JPG

Ratwork28.JPG

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Saw these, wondered if they would be helpful:

http://www.pestdetective.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Clues/Ship-rat-tracks-4-sq.jpg
http://www.pestdetective.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Clues/Norway-rat-tracks-4-500x500.jpg

(Edit: although it says tracks, they are actually a drawing (ship rat) and a picture (norway rat) of the underside of the hind foot. I think you need another toe?)

Oh, this one's a good pic! https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/livein/resources/shutterstock_42052987.jpg More of a thumb pad than an actual thumb (references say 'four toes on the front five on the back', but both mine used that just like a thumb).

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Saw these, wondered if they would be helpful:

http://www.pestdetective.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Clues/Ship-rat-tracks-4-sq.jpg
http://www.pestdetective.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Clues/Norway-rat-tracks-4-500x500.jpg

(Edit: although it says tracks, they are actually a drawing (ship rat) and a picture (norway rat) of the underside of the hind foot. I think you need another toe?)

Oh, this one's a good pic! https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/livein/resources/shutterstock_42052987.jpg More of a thumb pad than an actual thumb (references say 'four toes on the front five on the back', but both mine used that just like a thumb).

Cool thanks. Yeah, believe me I've been looking at plenty of Rat toes and feet as of late. Minor tweaks at this point. We're working from the Big Cat here, so yeah... four toes in back. Will have to geograph in the 5th toe to be accurate, if... IF... we like the idea of sharing morphs and maps with other animals.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
always glad to have that option Chris. As you must know by now doing fantasy art i am always looking for new creatures and creative manifestations of animals to use in my work especially if they have gear (tac, Armor, accessories like beards and hackle hair and belly hair etc). So the more options that come with the offerings here the better for weirdos like me! ;)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Little suggestion. My pet rat, Nickie, did NOT have a belly. He was a lean and sweet. I fed him properly so he never got like that. Only rats that eat anything and everything develop the big belly. So not sure if you want to rethink that or include a morph to make the belly bulge go away?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Little suggestion. My pet rat, Nickie, did NOT have a belly. He was a lean and sweet. I fed him properly so he never got like that. Only rats that eat anything and everything develop the big belly. So not sure if you want to rethink that or include a morph to make the belly bulge go away?

Gotcha. We'll do a morph for either way if need be. Thanks for the feedback.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Could we have a morph to move and reshape the ears? I live what you have so far for most rats, but I think these kinds are sooo cut with their little round ears that are dropped more to the sides.

You knew I had to post some cute ratty pix didn't you? LOL :p

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Watched the Showtime Show Penny Dreadful on Netflix last night which I recommend. There was one scene where Dorian Grey brings the American Gunman into the old London Barrows to "see something special"....a blood sport that was apparently very popular in London in 1800's. It was of men collecting many rats around the city (and there were MANY in those days) and dumping them live into a deep pen where they would throw a dog in with them and bet on how many it would kill in a certain allotted time. I couldn't
believe how they showed the graphic nature of the scene in the show. Very realistic bloody scene I have never seen on TV.
A lot of you are talking bout how cute they are and such but unless you have lived in rat infested digs you would quickly change your minds I think. I have and could not wait to get out....couldn't do it fast enough! I therefore HATE RATS!
I have a few Poser rat models both high res and low res but have never considered them potentially cute or used them as pets in ANY of my renders.....just to get an idea of what I think of them...and yes from the experience I mentioned above I assure they can be vicious and dirty and make a freaking mess of the sanctity of human homes. There were rats in Naples years ago that due to their over flowing population forcing them out of the sewers and onto the streets and homes even in broad daylight, attacked humans and dogs. The situation got so bad the Italian government sent military men in to finally eradicate the population. It took them months but they were never really gone just greatly reduced but I am sure they have returned and will again and again because it is their nature. I was there at the time and I gotta admit it was gross and freaky. So no, I don't consider rats cute but I do appreciate the beauty of Chris and company's effort to make them realistic. Now all I need is a dog that looks like the one in the show and a fighting pen so I can do my part to eradicate the Poser Rat population!
Place your bets here, place your bets here! :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I haven't had rats. Just mice. Whoever came up with the phrase; "quiet as a mouse" never had to live with them. Noisy little nuisances, and make a mess of everything.

Now the building has cats. Much better.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I therefore HATE RATS!
Non-pet rats that occupy human-occupied areas are certainly noisy, smelly, destructive and carry disease (actually, there's some less-than-reputable pets with the same problem...).

...into a deep pen where they would throw a dog in with them...
The author Terry Pratchett described the same setup in one of his books. Mind you, that book is told from the point of view of the rats- intelligent, talking, reading & writing rats (who have a deal with a talking cat and a piper, and go around conning cities into thinking they have a plague of rats). If you don't like rats at all, you probably won't like the book!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I can read about them and look at images or create them with rats in the scene just can't call them "cute" having lived and dealt with them in the ugly real world is all. ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sorry there. Something screwing going on for image upload for me. Couldn't edit that last post either. Weird.

Jan

Adventurous
Seems to me that this animal could be easily morphed into an Australian Marsupial, a Wombat. I need one and so do a couple of other Aussies here. This is what one looks like (there are other species also). One like this would be fine.

Wombat1.jpg

Wombat2.jpg

Look like this one has been digging-look at his nose.

Last edited: