• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Making them separate also requires making different promo images for each one, which is twice the work for the same product. DS promos must be rendered in DS, and I suck rendering there. ;p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
As a user of both programs I like getting both in one product but if it was a single program product I would only buy the DS one normally.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Making them separate also requires making different promo images for each one, which is twice the work for the same product. DS promos must be rendered in DS, and I suck rendering there. ;p
Very true. I hadn't thought of that earlier when I responded, so I suppose having one product for both DS and Poser would work out better, even if I only download and use one version.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I'll second that, as I don't have the latest version of DS.

Unless they changed their business model, DS is free.

However, I am a Poser user and would only be interested in a Poser version. I have purchased DS only items and then converted them into Poser usable items but I'd rather buy something that is native for Poser. However, if it's something for a character I relish the items that are for V4, Dawn and Miki 4 that comes in one handy package. It's fun to be able to use items on multiple characters without converting the items myself.

quietrob

Extraordinary

Ken, you make it sound like Promo images are work when they are fun! Isn't every single item you design made to be rendered? Don't you enjoy rendering?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
There's a huge difference in an artistic render and Promo images, especially since there are a lot more than just what you click on to view the product. There are promos that appear in the general store pages, in the weekly newsletters, in Alisa's new product announcements, and the like.

As a general rule, we don't think about all the other Promos we don't see when we're on the product pages, so we don't realize just how many Promos need to be rendered. I've beta tested for several of the CAs here in the HW store, and not one of them enjoys doing all the Promos needed, and it takes a long time. Rendering for fun is a whole 'nother ball game.

quietrob

Extraordinary
There's a huge difference in an artistic render and Promo images, especially since there are a lot more than just what you click on to view the product. There are promos that appear in the general store pages, in the weekly newsletters, in Alisa's new product announcements, and the like.

As a general rule, we don't think about all the other Promos we don't see when we're on the product pages, so we don't realize just how many Promos need to be rendered. I've beta tested for several of the CAs here in the HW store, and not one of them enjoys doing all the Promos needed, and it takes a long time. Rendering for fun is a whole 'nother ball game.

I stand corrected. I've never done a promo for a model. I suddenly think it sounds worse than being pharoah's whip in the Ten Commandments!

D

Deleted member 325

I am primarily a Poser user and am Indifferent as to bundled or separate (though one option would be to have separate products for each version with an optional bundle for both at a price discounted from buying each separately).

As to promos...
Ken, you make it sound like Promo images are work when they are fun! Isn't every single item you design made to be rendered? Don't you enjoy rendering?

In a perfect world, Promos can be fun... however, sometimes they can be a burden for a lot of reasons. Miss B explains it quite well in short...

Then there is also the consideration that promos often have requirements they must meet (Size and resolution obviously, but also certain technical and artistic merits...you want to make sure to clearly demonstrate the product but not confuse it or confuse the potential buyers...you want to grab the customers attention and get them to click more). Sometimes, with promos where it seems they have less work in them than a given artists artistic renders, they often have more. Then there is the consideration of if a promo has been rejected and needs to be redone. There is also, for some products and vendors, all of the in-program thumbnail/promo renders (which I am probably doing the hard way myself). Sometimes, a single product might involve a few dozen individual renders, even more than 100, and then editing and compositing. Also, you might be on a deadline with a product where you often are not on artistic renders.

quietrob

Extraordinary
This is of course incredibly interesting. I didn't think you would need a hundred renders when I normally see no more than eight to demonstrate a particular product. Sora has 9 renders. The latest product (Sora's Tenacity Action Wear. On sale NOW) has 5 promo pix. I mean it's your product. You know what's in your minds eye. You know what your selling and how you think it should be presented. As I think about it, it does sound like a proper way of doing things. If your're a photographer, you would want a pool of hundreds of shots to choose from. The bigger the pool, the bigger chance of picking a picture that is just right.

I'll stop with my thoughts. This thread is about Hive Girl for Dawn, no penalty for my digression cuz it's Monday and Monday's are hard enough. The world needs more Fridays!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So when it comes to a product that has separate versions for Poser and DS versus getting both bundled together, I will say as a customer I have a slight preference towards something that will work in both. That's because that although I'm 90% a Poser user, I do every now and then find myself in DS, and it's nice when I have stuff that just works easily, especially since I find DS difficult to work in.

But. . . I've never not bought anything because I'd have to pay for a separate DS version. Especially since I appreciate how long it can take to make something comparable with both programs. I think this is up to you. Personally, I see something as value added if there is one version that works for both. Also, on the subject of promo images, which I too hate making, I'd rather make one set, with specific images to show off different render engines, than have to do two sets.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
When I was first getting started with all this I was sort of made to include both in their own packs. I didn't quite understand that way of doing business with published artists and still don't agree. Not everyone uses Poser, not everyone uses DAZ Studio so the published artist should have the final say in that. Separate products and then make a bundle with a tiny price incentive including both.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A good example of promo images was my last product, the Universal Anime Head, which has 20 promos. It would be tough to demonstrate its versatility in a multitude of figures in both Poser and DS with just 6-8 images. And then there are also the facial expression presets, skin tones, style presets, and the included PDF tutorial that explains loads of different things. It's a big product with about 100 items, and it's hard to explain how versatile it really is.

I was going to release it for Poser and DS separately, but when I realized the amount of extra promos I would have to make, I ended up with a single release for both platforms. That was basically the reason, and even then, I still needed 20 promo images to demonstrate the product. Like they say, an image is worth a thousand words, and showing is better than explaining.

In addition, work I do commercially is rarely as FUN as it is when I do it for personal use. :)

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Very true. I hadn't thought of that earlier when I responded, so I suppose having one product for both DS and Poser would work out better, even if I only download and use one version.

I prefer to make 100 promo images then rigging in Poser. :D
I like making promos. It was fun making the promos for the Family Poses for Dawn, Dusk & Baby Luna. What I don't like is the render time. For that I love Carrara, really fast. :)

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Certainly I'll make a bundle that will also include the poses and consirering all the opinions, I'm still thinking in making separate versions or not. :)
Thanks for all your comments!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have only used Carrara for a brief period, and it had some of the most optimized renderer of its time. ^^

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I just send the poses to the QAV and I also included Dusk and Sora. So for a while, you can use them with Dusk, Sora and Ken's Superhero for Dawn.
Sora is taller than Dawn, So I have to do some adjusts and the poses not work well in Poser 9/pro 2012 with some issues in the hip. You need Poser 10/pro 2014 (as said in the product description) if you intend to use Sora. Dawn and Dusk work fine from Poser 9 and above.

popup02.jpg

Last edited: