• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Here's another or my nutty ideas...

eclark1894

Visionary
19 categories so far and counting. I still have a lot of coding to do, and compiling the vendors under the correct category, but I'm going to try and put up a temporary site in a day or so to let you guys and gals have a sneek peek and taste of what's to come. I'd sure like your feedback.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, my mac and PC aren't playing nicely together on my network, Actually it's mostly my PC. Like always, my Mac just works.
So it might be the "...or so" part of that day thing that I can set up a temp site.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hey, look at that! I got a new email address with my new internet service!

Still don't know the password to log into it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would think they would email you a temporary password in short order. Then it should be easy enough to change the password to whatever you prefer.

eclark1894

Visionary
Screenshot of the main page... so far.;)

Screen shot 2017-08-05 at 5.55.10 PM.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Update*
A discussion over at the Smith Micro Forum convinced me that the banner above was not the best design as it may have invited legal issues for being to closely affiliated with Smith Micro and Poser. So I redesigned it....

PCVD.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Wheeee, HTML tables. Funtimes. Mostly depreciated except for tabular data, i.e. currently pretty much any tag used in the past should still work, but future compatibility with newer browser versions is not guaranteed for all the tags. However, if you do want a spreadsheet-type column-and-row display with a fixed column and row height and without a lot of pretty visuals then HTML might still be simpler than CSS, especially if you know some already. w3schools.com has some straightforward information on a huge range of HTML coding, including tables. I can probably throw together a really basic set of tags for you in a bit, that you could play with.

How many columns, do you want a header row, how many rows to start with?
Okay, I have to admit, I LOVE libraries. Always have. All those free books to read. I read all the Harry Potter Books from the library. Got my first library card when I was about 7 or 8 and I've had one ever since. I don't have kids, but I wish I had kids so I could take them to the Library and get them their first library card.

Anyway, brought all that up to say that I was perusing my local library's web catalog and found a book on HTML5 and CSS. I was never certain about CSS so I never really saw much use for it other than using it for backgrounds on webpages. However, This book that I'm reading, in PDF form HTML5 for Dummies, I love those books.

eclark1894

Visionary
Continuing with my previous post...
So, I'm reading this HTML5 book. Tables are old news it says. I should use CSS to set up 3 columns on the pages. So I'm reading up now to learn how to write the code.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't coded many new sites in a few years, but did take a course a few years ago to see what HTML 5 was all about, and I liked it. Which HTML 5 book are you reading?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Yeah, css is the recommended route, a lot of html table tags are depreciated now. Plus css lets you separate data from appearance, so you can edit your data more easily and change your appearance without altering the content.

Plus, it's not THAT hard... I managed to teach the basics to ten-year-olds, anyway. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Agreed. I've always used separate CSS files for that very reason. You don't have to check what's CSS code, and what's actual content by keeping them separate.

Which reminds me . . . I really need to update my 2D graphics site as it's been up a long time, and could use a CMS to reduce the huge amount of pages of it's current format.

eclark1894

Visionary
I haven't coded many new sites in a few years, but did take a course a few years ago to see what HTML 5 was all about, and I liked it. Which HTML 5 book are you reading?
HTML5 and CSS3 for Dummies...:sneaky:
Reading it... sneakily, of course, at work right now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, the CSS books I have are all by Eric Meyer, who has been the uncontested CSS guru for years, if not decades.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm digging into the CSS part now, but I am a little confused about something. If I'm not mistaken, I have to call for a ".css" document which I still have to do. So far the book hasn't been real clear about that.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Exactly. If I have one main CSS file, I usually call it something like global.css, then I may have a smaller CSS file for a specific page, or something that's not consistent throughout the site.

Calling the stylesheet is done in the Header section of the HTML code, IOW before the Body tag.

It's usually a very simple line such as the following, only without that first dash before the word link. I put that in there so the forum would display it instead of trying to process it:

<-link rel="stylesheet" href="global.css" type="text/css" />

Needless to say, if you have the stylesheet in a subfolder, then you would have to include the name of the subfolder in the href section. So, if the stylesheet's in a subfolder named "Styles", you would change the "global.css" to "Styles/global.css".