• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help? I'd dearly love to update my horse costumes for Harry

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey Lyrra, Paul is the person to talk to about converting weightmapping between the two programs. I believe his preferred technique is to start in DS and convert to Poser, however Ken1170 has converted lots of things the other way.

From my own experience I would say that most likely when you pop that saddle on the horse in DS and go to fit it, if it's legacy rigging you will get an autofit dialogue at least that's what happens with Poser Weightmapped items. If you left the boxes at default and hit okay I'm not sure how much of the original rigging it would keep if you don't use a template but my guess would be that it might be none...parented would probably be okay...as I've said before though I'm not an expert. The best bet would probably be to use the transfer utility.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have GOT to listen/watch my webinar again on the clothing conversion, I've forgotten nearly everything! At least I finally found it again on my hard drive.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey Lyrra, Paul is the person to talk to about converting weightmapping between the two programs. I believe his preferred technique is to start in DS and convert to Poser, however Ken1170 has converted lots of things the other way.

So I'm hardly a master rigger or weight mapper, in fact I'm just a beginner, but here's my two cents on which way is 'easier' to go. I think DS is much better at copying weight mapping over smartly from the figure the item is made for. This means that you have less tweaks to do overall, and then when you bring that into Poser, you also don't have as much adjustment to do. But if you weight map something in Poser first, it won't be totally broken in DS, you'll just have possibly done a lot more work to get the item up and running to begin with, and then still have to tweak in DS.

So I think possibly it's almost always faster to start in DS, but. . . I don't like working in DS and feel far more comfortable working in Poser, so for the sake of my sanity it's 'easier' to start in Poser. At least I know that my mesh can work, if I do it that way, so all my DS frustrations end up being rather minor. If that makes sense. . .

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...makes sense and matches what Littlefox says in her tutorials about rigging that it's easier to start in DS but she uses a different method to Paul for getting stuff across to Poser.
I do know that many items that have been made for Poser can be converted easily to DS others are more difficult. I've converted a lot of things made for Dawn using autotransfer and the transfer utility. Problem is there is a difference between what is okay for your own use and what is okay for distributing for sale. So they would require more tweaking than I would need to do for something I want to use in one render.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to say I am sad these never got finished and to see the light of day. I so desperately wanted to be able to use Daio's tack sets on Harry