• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hair Conversion Panel - WIP

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The difference may be that I have Poser pointing to my Daz runtime as I had no issues with the textures. I know that many people have them separate but with using Categories in DS I prefer to have just the one runtime. Years ago I used to have separate runtimes for male and female to mention just two, these days I don't find it necessary but I'm primarily a ds user.

Yes, it does tend to hash the obj files when it creates the cr2. Yes...there are a lot of similarities between V4 and Genesis 2 female. I've used the clone for v4 to fit Genesis2 items in the past and it works quite well.

Sounds like you might have a plan there...

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I'm not really going to integrate it because DS is going to fling extra files all over the place. That's not being mean but DAZ is guilty of doing that just with V4 (I keep her in her own runtime). What I'm saying here is even though Poser has a certain structure for doing things, DAZ would rather create extra folders and files, top level in Libraries, for example, where I feel it would be better to obscure them in a folder less trafficked, such as Geometries.

SM has been no better with its content and I cannot answer why there are .obj files in the character folders. Files carelessly slewn all over the place, like the .obj situation, is a serious craw up my hiney.

But "the rest" of the community tries to do things within the stucture of what has been there since Poser 3 or 4, lol.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...fair enough. You know way more than I do about it! Brain is a bit fuzzy today so I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was just looking to help convert the genesis hair for Poser users.

To be honest though I'm not really impressed with many of Daz's recent hairs...even Toulouse bugs me as it has those separate bits that sit too high above the head. It ruins the way it looks. I do like Sav's hairs and also Biscuits that I've bought recently.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
lol...fair enough. You know way more than I do about it! Brain is a bit fuzzy today so I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was just looking to help convert the genesis hair for Poser users.

To be honest though I'm not really impressed with many of Daz's recent hairs...even Toulouse bugs me as it has those separate bits that sit too high above the head. It ruins the way it looks. I do like Sav's hairs and also Biscuits that I've bought recently.

So I'm not the only one finding the recent hairs to be bizarre and strange looking!

I hate the stringy, unwashed hair look that seems so popular now. I do not get the appeal of that look.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Toulouse actually looks better in Poser than DS. The strands I'm talking about are more obvious in the DS render. They sit too far above the rest of the hair. Real hair doesn't do this.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
So I'm not the only one finding the recent hairs to be bizarre and strange looking!
No you're not. It's been quite a while since I've liked any of the hair products they've been coming up with at DAZ, but the most recent ones are really weird.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I generally like Littlefox, Fabiana, Propschick, 3Dream and Quarker's hair. I'm not sure if Quarker is around any longer.

I like some of the SWAM and Goldtassel hairs.

For hair, I think simple is better. Though on the other hand some of the hairs are so basic that there's not enough movement control.

I was thinking of building a hair controller for Dawn that would allow you to manipulate the hair underneath it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes Quarker did the best hair. I still use the Sapphire hair they did. Littlefox is good whatever she makes and the others you mentioned are generally good.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I generally like Littlefox, Fabiana, Propschick, 3Dream and Quarker's hair. I'm not sure if Quarker is around any longer.

I like some of the SWAM and Goldtassel hairs.

For hair, I think simple is better. Though on the other hand some of the hairs are so basic that there's not enough movement control.

I was thinking of building a hair controller for Dawn that would allow you to manipulate the hair underneath it.

I like all of those as well, although Propschick is really fond of BIG hair. Not my favorite style.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've only recently picked up a couple of Biscuit's hairs. Talk about "big" hair.

I like LLF, Fabi, some of Propschick, 3Dream and, of course, SAV's hairs, or at least most of them. Some of her hair products are a bit "out there" for my style. I also used to like AprilYSH's hair years ago, just not her more recent products.

I also think Quarker isn't around any more.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I've only recently picked up a couple of Biscuit's hairs. Talk about "big" hair.

LOL, yeah. Which is why I have none of her hairs in my runtime. Just seriously not my style.

Even SAV's Aphana is bigger than I normally like, but well suited for an African American model.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Stringy hair... Are you all talking about hair that looks stringy because of how it is constructed or a modern style of hair that has lots of fly aways?

I don't like the hair that looks stringy because it was made that way or it looks fake and clumpy. I see a lot of that at DAZ. It look like the model is wearing a hair piece or the bangs are so thin that there is some hair loss going on. I went through the catalog last night looking to purchase some things and I wouldn't even drop some of the $2 hair in my cart because it just looks so bad. Just being honest.

I wound up picking up LLF's Xanadu hair. I think it looks pretty interesting.

I also find that no matter what hair I pick up from who, I have to adjust all the materials or it comes out plastic looking. How about you all? I'm talking about Firefly. I haven't really played with Superfly enough (though I love the name, I think the mascot should be a pimp).

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Stringy hair... Are you all talking about hair that looks stringy because of how it is constructed or a modern style of hair that has lots of fly aways?

It's not the fly aways that are causing the issue........it's that stringy look. The hair looks like the model is wearing silly string!

The first ones I noticed it on were Arey Soul's hair.......it's that look I think is awful.

I don't like the hair that looks stringy because it was made that way or it looks fake and clumpy. I see a lot of that at DAZ. It look like the model is wearing a hair piece or the bangs are so thin that there is some hair loss going on. I went through the catalog last night looking to purchase some things and I wouldn't even drop some of the $2 hair in my cart because it just looks so bad. Just being honest.

Lots of those issues and more, honestly.

I wound up picking up LLF's Xanadu hair. I think it looks pretty interesting.

I also find that no matter what hair I pick up from who, I have to adjust all the materials or it comes out plastic looking. How about you all? I'm talking about Firefly. I haven't really played with Superfly enough (though I love the name, I think the mascot should be a pimp).

Yeah, as a rule, hair materials are pretty bad and need some touching up. Once you start working with Superfly you'll love it. I render in nothing else unless I have a specific need to (showing Firefly materials in promos, etc.). And, Superfly hair is amazing with the EZSkin3 editor. A few clicks and hair looks great in Superfly.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I see a lot of overkill with the materials. I'm working with one right now and there's math all over it and ansiotropic and edge blending and on and on. I just don't think it needs all those things. Nor does it need blown out specular. I think less is better and let me build on it if I'm not satisfied.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
For me it's the fly aways and it's how it was constructed.

Biscuits hair normally comes with a range of morphs which are fun to play with but they do tend to have more extreme styles but they tend to suit my style of renders. Probably not as suitable for Pin ups but for fantasy renders they are great. Same with SAV's. Biscuits Bibi is not large the base hair is a mid length bob but some of the morphs can make it more extreme.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Even SAV's Aphana is bigger than I normally like, but well suited for an African American model.
Actually, I got the Aphana Hair, and Bangs add-on, for just that reason. I was rendering V4 in a "disco" themed render, so I thought the hair would transform V4 into Donna Summer. Unfortunately, the Donna Summer morph SAV threw up on the site as a freebie, requires another vendor's character that I don't like, so I haven't used it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Paris Tail converted to Dawn using HCS Pro, rendered in Superfly after adding EZSkin3 hair shaders.

ParisTailEZSkin3.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Looking good Traci. One of these days I have to play with using EZSkin3 on hair.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Okay, of the following figures, which do you use, if any?

Antonia (inc. Antonia WM), Cookie (or Chip/Peaches/Pickles), Mavka, Miki 3, Roxie, Star (1.0), Alyson 2?

Which Dawn-based sculpts/figures do you use?