• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hair Conversion Panel - WIP

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist

I wanted to share with you something that I am working on.

There's a lot to say, so bear with all the text. If you don't want to read it all, a picture might be worth a thousand words.

Summary:

This is a very optimized, modern version of the older Hair Conversion System (first 2012 and then 2014). It will require Poser 9 or higher. It will contain all of the features of the previous system but easier to use and it will function more intelligently.

Operation:

Instead of relying on Poser's Python Palette or Poser's Script menu system, it will be completely self-contained in it's own floating panel. It can remain open while you are working (and certainly should be left open when you are converting hair).

The Conversion Mode button (Full or Partial) will allow you to switch between the different types of conversion. Full produces a brand new hair file, tailored to a specific figure. It creates a new object file and hair file. Partial allows you to use complex hair by simply adding a morph that fits the hair to the target figure.

Initialize works just like the previous system. You load the target figure into the scene and press Initialize. This tells the system which templates and other files to use in the conversion process. The old "Figure Setup" button is baked into Initialize. When pressing this button, if the figure's parameters are not set to zero, it will ask if you'd like the zero the figure and if you agree, do this for you.

The small button next to Initialize is a Figures button. Pressing it opens a menu where you can add any of your target figures (Dawn, V4, etc) to it. From that point onward, you can load the target figure into the scene from this menu. It saves you having to use the library to load the figure.

Load Hair OBJ is used once you have a hair loaded into the scene. It loads the OBJ associated with a hair duing a Full Hair Conversion. The idea here is to reshape the object to fit the head of the target figure. It does some other functions like automatically save the hair textures so that they can be restored later and will inform you if hair has parts that are different from the base figure, which might be an issue for full conversions (you'd switch to a partial conversion in this case, making a morph instead).

The next button is Apply Magnets, which will apply the magnets to the OBJ that has been loaded with the previous button. In the previous system you'd load these magnets from the Props Library and you can still do that, but there is another way, which brings me to the next button.

The small button next to Apply Magnets is the Magnet Sets button. This is similar to the Figures button. It brings up a menu where you can add all (or your choice) of the magnets sets available to the target figure. This menu is dynamic and changes as you initialize a different figure. For example, if you have set this up for Dawn and Initialize Dawn, it only shows her sets. If you later switch to V4 and Initialize V4, it shows her sets only. This makes it super fast to load up magnets because you can do it right from the utility instead of digging through your libraries.

Save Hair File is the button you'd use when you are happy with the how the magnets are fitting the hair to the head of the target figure. It is now very intelligent. The old functions of "Move Morphs" and "Restore Textures" are baked into it. When you press the button, it allows you to browse to a folder where you'd save the converted hair. You can change the filename at this point also. The new geometry is created and optimized and the new hair file is saved. It then asks if you'd like to copy the old hair morphs and parameter dials to the new hair (it is optional). If you agree, you get a new file browse dialog where you choose the original hair and it then copies them. At this point it also automatically restores the textures of the original hair and automatically updates the conversion you previously saved. These steps where manual before.

Copy thumbnail is still essentially the same. You'll be able to copy the thumbnail from the original hair and add some decoration to it, if you'd like, to distinguish it from the original hair. In a full hair conversion, you just press the button, choose a decoration, if you'd like and if you have moved morphs in the last step, it is saved automatically.

This is going to be super cool and very easy. I don't have the partial conversion completely coded yet, but it will be streamlined as well. Pressing the Conversion Mode button will switch the Load Hair OBJ and Save Hair File buttons out to different buttons, likely. It will be fairly seamless to the user.

---

What about the old sets - Hair Conversion System 2012 and 2014 files?

Well, you will be able to use them 100% "as is". You don't need to move anything or do anything but have them installed. It will use a priority system and check to see if you have previous data files and so on installed. If so, it will use them completely natively. This means that if you have the Dawn set or the V4 set (or any other supported figure), you will not need to buy anything new. Period.

As before the core Hair Conversion System will be 100% free and come with a pack included so that you can test drive it (or replace the older system) at no cost.

The only thing that will be different is that there will be a universal guide that comes with the new system that will apply to any figure. It's the same steps for any figure. So the old PDFs will not be used.

---

What about new Conversion Add-Ons?

I don't have a list of what figures I'll be working on but anything from this point forward will be done for the new system. This means Poser 9 and higher. I won't be retrofitting back to Poser 7 or anything like that. I feel that 3 versions of Poser (and likely beyond) is more than sufficient for support. Again, you can use the old system support files (for 2012 and 2014) natively without having to move anything around.

---

I hope this will suffice for a Holiday gift from me to you. I expect the core to be ready next week.

(though Scene Toy Pro is in the screenshot, that is not a requirement at all. I just actually use my own stuff, lol)

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Awesome! I really wanted to modernize it and I feel it definately needed it. I also wanted to make sure I could pull it off in a way that folks didn't need to update their old add-on purchases. It works back to hcs 2012 files.

Also wanted to mention that figures that needed post-processing, like Dawn, it's built-in now. Dawn has a different set-up for the head to chest body parts, which has to be tweaked to use (figure) hair that has a different body part structure. The post-processing file is going to be included for Dawn - you'll still need the Dawn add-on for conversions and future sets that require processing will include those files. Sorry for the nerdy blah blah.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Also I am more than willing to entertain requests for add-on figure support. However, keep in mind a couple of things.

- I can't work on every random figure that only a small handful of people are using. There has to be some market for it. That isn't to say that I won't support independents, I have in many cases. Add-ons are not squirted out in a day - they take some time to develop and perfect.

- It might be January or later until you see new releases. I have a ton of older things to re-release from JoJo to Samedi to SuzyQ2 and the Dude 2, to this new system. I don't mind it, but my plate is very full.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Dusk, Luna, and the gen 4 figures would be nice.

Would be nice if you could convert from Genesis, Genesis 2, and Genesis3 (and the Gen 5, 6 and 7 figures that go with those) to at least the HW family of figures.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just want the Hivewire family - especially Dusk and Luna.
I'll second that request, and "if possible", Pendraia's Diva character, which is actually a morph of Dawn, so if there will be a way to fit any of the hairs I've converted to Dawn from V4, so they would be usable for Diva without too much trouble, that would be great.

What I would like you to consider, if you decide to create a separate add-on for Diva, if you could include K4 along with V4/M4, as I have several hair products especially for Kids 4 I'd like to convert, at some point down the road, for use with Diva, as she's a young character like the Kids.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Would be nice if you could convert from Genesis, Genesis 2, and Genesis3 (and the Gen 5, 6 and 7 figures that go with those) to at least the HW family of figures.
I don't have Gen2 and Gen 3, and the original Genesis I don't use in Poser, so I'm wondering, would hair for these characters also require DSON in Poser, as the characters do?

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I'd like to see it too, but converting FROM Genesis might be difficult. Genesis 1 and 2 might be theoretically possible via DSON. Genesis 3 is out.

However, if it's possible (in DS) to go from Genesis x to a morph clone of V4 and export something out from there, it might be doable. Also, I think in the case of Genesis 3 one can embed the obj fully in a DAZ file, which would be a real mess to get out + with the genesis system objects aren't actually grouped, which is yet another issue.

The hurdles are pretty huge. There are so many differences, it's almost asking for converting Sims or Skyrim hair to Poser. I certainly defer to anyone who is expert in DS 4 and Genesis 3 to weigh in on this.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If you can great, if you can't... well I'll just wait for some programming wizard to finish the "black box" conversion system to go from DS to Poser. Without the need for DSON. ;)

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
If you can great, if you can't... well I'll just wait for some programming wizard to finish the "black box" conversion system to go from DS to Poser. Without the need for DSON. ;)

Yeah, just trying to export the Toulouse hair for Genesis 3 that comes with DS 4 doesn't seem to produce anything that shows up in Poser. I tried the cr2 export.

The cr2 exporter generates an obj that has the wrong group names (Neck, Head versus neck, head - case matters here), so that has to be fixed. Materials probably need to be fixed. Doing it solely from an end user point of view is going to require utilities just to clean things up like that. If one was really hell bent on getting a specific hair from genesis 3 into Poser I think it can be done. It's going to take a fair bit of editing.

Not to say that it can't be done but I think it's just beyond the scope of an initial release. Something intermediate, either from the POV of DS or Poser that converts something to Victoria 4 first might be a better route.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
*nods* You're the expert, I'm just the person who doesn't manage to refit hair well without your scripts.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
This looks wonderful. I do have some of your hair conversion scripts already, but I have a weird laziness. I will often just parent hair and manually adjust it, rather than find and open them manual to use the old hair conversion system. This looks like something that once I had learned to use it once, I might not need to reread the instructions each time to remember how it works.

Also I would definitely second (or third) a vote for adding Dusk as a supported figure.

RobZhena

Adventurous
Your magnificent Creator's Toybox makes fully functional Poser native hair from DSON Genesis 2 hair, so maybe you could make that happen in the background and treat it like any other Poser hair. I've had a few successful experiments exporting Genesis 3 clothes as obj's and converting them in the fitting room, but that would be no use with hair.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Just downloaded, and hope to get to play with it when I get home from running errands. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
However, if it's possible (in DS) to go from Genesis x to a morph clone of V4 and export something out from there, it might be doable. Also, I think in the case of Genesis 3 one can embed the obj fully in a DAZ file, which would be a real mess to get out + with the genesis system objects aren't actually grouped, which is yet another issue.

The hurdles are pretty huge. There are so many differences, it's almost asking for converting Sims or Skyrim hair to Poser. I certainly defer to anyone who is expert in DS 4 and Genesis 3 to weigh in on this.
Seeing this piqued my interest. I've attempted to convert a number of items from DS but never a Genesis 3 item before. So I had a play around with it, probably not a good idea as my brain is still very fuzzy from a cold.

I found that it required an extra step. Normally when you export as a cr2 it doesn't ask you to locate the object file but it did this with Toulouse hair. It might be that all the items I've previously exported have an object file already as it's mainly my own stuff that I've done this with.

So my final process was:
I autofitted the hair to Dawn using a clone.
Exported it as an object and then exported it as a cr2.
This was a bit messier when I actually did it due to my fuzzy brain as I forgot to hide Dawn so it wouldn't export the object including her. After fixing the errors...I was able to render the hair on Dawn in Poser. Mind you I forgot to change it to firefly and had to rerender as Dawn came out black.
toulouse hair experiment.png

Toulouse on Diva in DS...
toulouse hair.jpg

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I have DS 4 installed and just self-contained, not pointing to any runtimes.

I exported both the charm and toulous hair from DS as a Poser cr2. These were for Genesis 2. Though the cr2 export did move a (hashed) .obj file to the right place, it didn't move the hair textures at all. So I had to copy those by hand to where the cr2 wanted them. Otherwise, Poser cannot find the textures as they are pointed to in the cr2 that DS generates.

Genesis 2 hair seems to almost fit V4 natively, just a little loose.

So my thought is some kind of cleanup/moving tool for DS export to start with. Then a magnet set to natively fit it to V4, which probably could be autoloaded and applied and then generate a type of full conversion. That would give you a native hair for V4 that you could convert to Dawn, Suzy Q2, etc.