• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hair Conversion Panel - WIP

RobZhena

Adventurous
Seeing this piqued my interest. I've attempted to convert a number of items from DS but never a Genesis 3 item before. So I had a play around with it, probably not a good idea as my brain is still very fuzzy from a cold.

I found that it required an extra step. Normally when you export as a cr2 it doesn't ask you to locate the object file but it did this with Toulouse hair. It might be that all the items I've previously exported have an object file already as it's mainly my own stuff that I've done this with.

So my final process was:
I autofitted the hair to Dawn using a clone.
Exported it as an object and then exported it as a cr2.
This was a bit messier when I actually did it due to my fuzzy brain as I forgot to hide Dawn so it wouldn't export the object including her. After fixing the errors...I was able to render the hair on Dawn in Poser. Mind you I forgot to change it to firefly and had to rerender as Dawn came out black.
View attachment 19981

Toulouse on Diva in DS...
View attachment 19982

Exporting the obj and pointing to it is an extremely interesting idea across the board! I'll have to try that.

One can export a cr2 with each texture applied and then use MATWriter Panel 2014 to save materials in Poser. It is labor intensive but works.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Okay, of the following figures, which do you use, if any?

Antonia (inc. Antonia WM), Cookie (or Chip/Peaches/Pickles), Mavka, Miki 3, Roxie, Star (1.0), Alyson 2?

Which Dawn-based sculpts/figures do you use?

Mavka, rarely

Miki3, but Miki4 much more frequently

Roxie

As for the Dawn characters, I tend to use them all, but when doing promo work, etc., I use the DawnSE morphs (Special Edition Faces) more than any other.

If I want dramatic flair, I use a Virtual World morph (Janet, etc.) or a Tempesta3D morph (Vanessa),

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I also find that no matter what hair I pick up from who, I have to adjust all the materials or it comes out plastic looking. How about you all? I'm talking about Firefly. I haven't really played with Superfly enough (though I love the name, I think the mascot should be a pimp).

I often find that without any adjustment, hair made for FF looks too shiny in SF. This might be part of the same issue you are talking about. I usually use EzSkin3 or sometimes just remove the glossy node from the specular, and it ends up looking really nice.

Antonia (inc. Antonia WM), Cookie (or Chip/Peaches/Pickles), Mavka, Miki 3, Roxie, Star (1.0), Alyson 2?

So I'm going to throw Diva out there as a Dawn figure I love to use. I actually doesn't use her as much as I might because I still have to convert enough stuff for her.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I often find that without any adjustment, hair made for FF looks too shiny in SF. This might be part of the same issue you are talking about. I usually use EzSkin3 or sometimes just remove the glossy node from the specular, and it ends up looking really nice.
That's what I usually do, though I might try toning it down some first, but usually wind up unplugging it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's what I usually do, though I might try toning it down some first, but usually wind up unplugging it.

I usually simply unplug spec settings in Superfly. But when using EZSkin3 on hair, it does it for me, so less parts to check and unplug.

Superfly, as a PBR, doesn't need additional specular "fudges" since it provides it own. You're actually doubling spec settings when you plug white into a specular map.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
How will this work with things like the Dragon hair and it's tail and braid, and the chrome hair and it's bangs and back and tail?

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
You could use the Partial method to create a "full body morph" that would fit it to the target figure. You'd have to parent the result to the head of the target figure. What I'd do is save the hair back into the library and add "(parent)" to the name to let me know this has to be parented.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, good question Tana. I would need to do that with SAV's Aphana Hair and her Bangs add-on for it. Hmmm, now that I think about it, they're two separate products that I load onto V4 separately, as the Bangs aren't needed unless you want them. Soooo, I suppose I could leave them as two separate items if I were to convert them to Dawn. OK, now that I think about it, 2 separate items would probably be better in that case.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Yeah, anything with extra parts and body hands is likely going to need to be done simply - create a full body morph. Of course, by not conforming, it might not move 100% like the original but if it has handles and such then you'd be using those anyways.

I also need to make an adjustment for Sub division. It should be set to off in anything involved in this process, including the base figure.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, well I won't have to worry about that in P9, but I'll keep that in mind for PP11.

I also realized the 2 small adjustments I did for the hair conversion for Dawn in P9 weren't saved when I resaved it back to the Library, and I think that was because I did the adjustments AFTER the conversion. I'm going to do it again and make the adjustments while I'm still in the conversion process. That should do the trick when I do the final save.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs

Antonia
Dawn sculpts: I don't have any yet but umm all of them? lol Honestly the only ones I could see needing special fitting for would be the likes of Diva and the Jungle kids

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just recently acquired Antonia Standard and WM, so haven't had a chance to play with her yet. As far as the others you've mentioned, nope, none of them.

As far as Dawn goes, I use DawnSE, and quite a few characters created for her, but as GG and Dreamer mentioned, as did I in some thread or other, Diva would be great. She's a Dawn morph, so I could see trying to convert to Dawn and then resize it for Diva, OR, if this is possible, convert to Dawn, and then add the Diva morph to the hair? I know that works with clothes, but not sure if that would work with hair, especially prop (hr2) hair.

Margy

The Margician
Contributing Artist

Cookie, Chip, Mavka, Star (1.0), Alyson 2 with Anastasia/Shae morph

Dawn, Diva, Luna and Dusk