• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I checked, and I can't run it on my computer. It's too old, doesn't have that special feature it needs...doesn't even have an older verison of it. :confused: I guess I'll really fall behind, now!

Dana

I did read somewhere that this build doesn't require your PC to have that special feature.. ;)

but later builds may do

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Trusted Platform Module Technology

You may or may not have this and not know. It is processor based hardware encryption that you enable disable via BIOS. New processors only . I have a 10 gen i7 and no TPM due to the Gigabyte mainboard that doesn't support it. Essentially upscaled Bitlocker. Personally I don't care. W11 removes features I actually use from W10 and replaces them with the ability to natively run Android apps that will cost me extra to do what I do for free now. That is a downgrade in my eyes. Two reasons this is happening. Subscription software and ransom ware. Hardware encrypt software to stop changes that defeat software license check like in the Substance suite of tools now owned by Adobe or Poser for instance. Ransom ware has beat TPM 1.2 so that's one reason for the update to 2.0 You may actually have this feature and it not be turned on by default. A BIOS check will let you know. For older machines one may have to flash their BIOS to a newer version for their motherboard. UEFI may be the term you are used to instead of BIOS. I'm old.

And to keep on topic; I got my second dose a while back. As of yesterday, anyone who wants a shot is eligible for a shot in my Province. They set a North American record on Sunday with over 27,000 shots delivered by a single clinic in a single day. A far cry from just a couple of weeks ago when getting a shot, first or second; was far from certain due to supply issues. We buy and import. We do not make. I hate to think what my taxes are going up to in order to pay for all this COVID stuff.

DanaTA

Distinguished
@parkdalegardener - I have a Core2Duo processor...so many generations back that it's not funny. I checked and do not have any TPM capability or hardware. There's nothing to flash!

Here in Massachusetts, we have a very high vaccination rate. I've been fully vaccinated since early April!

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Trusted Platform Module Technology

You may or may not have this and not know. It is processor based hardware encryption that you enable disable via BIOS. New processors only . I have a 10 gen i7 and no TPM due to the Gigabyte mainboard that doesn't support it. Essentially upscaled Bitlocker. Personally I don't care. W11 removes features I actually use from W10 and replaces them with the ability to natively run Android apps that will cost me extra to do what I do for free now. That is a downgrade in my eyes. Two reasons this is happening. Subscription software and ransom ware. Hardware encrypt software to stop changes that defeat software license check like in the Substance suite of tools now owned by Adobe or Poser for instance. Ransom ware has beat TPM 1.2 so that's one reason for the update to 2.0 You may actually have this feature and it not be turned on by default. A BIOS check will let you know. For older machines one may have to flash their BIOS to a newer version for their motherboard. UEFI may be the term you are used to instead of BIOS. I'm old.
I have the same reasons for not wanting to upgrade to Win11, especially since I don't use Win10's setup, but at least I was able to get an add-on that allows me to have my old Win7 menu system. There's nothing I hate more than those large "thumbnails" Microsoft came up with to select what software you want to use. I also, if you want to talk about old, must have my Taskbar at the top of my monitor, but Win11 is doing away with the ability to choose where you want it. Nope, not going to do that.

As far as the TPM, I have 2.0, but I thought I read in one of my many tech newsletters, that it was the other way around, that they want you to have 1.2, and not 2.0. I may have read it wrong, so don't quote me. I currently have updates paused for another few weeks, and I believe the only version out there now is the one Stezza has, namely for the MS Insiders group.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here in the UK the powers that be delayed the lifting of restrictions by one month to July 19th. There was an outcry in some quarters as there is a drive to get back to normal ASAP. Yesterday the daily number of new cases was the highest since February this year as the delta (was India variant) really takes hold, makes one wonder if Covid is just waiting for us to relax. Thanks to the vaccines the rise in hospitalizations is down on what it would have been in February.
I have my reservations about the vaccines, but no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I get every other vaccine I'm supposed to. Anyway, I'm not going to discuss that, I wanted to complain a bit about the vaccine lotteries in some states. I really think they're stupid, but my thought is that if you REALLY wanted to incentivize people to GET the vaccine, DON'T have a single million dollar superprize. Divide the prize up and have smaller payouts, but MORE people to get the shot. For instance, pay each winner 5000 dollars and you'd have 200 winners. Your chances for winning would improve and your incentive for getting the vaccine would go up. Just a thought.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have my reservations about the vaccines, but no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I get every other vaccine I'm supposed to. Anyway, I'm not going to discuss that, I wanted to complain a bit about the vaccine lotteries in some states. I really think they're stupid, but my thought is that if you REALLY wanted to incentivize people to GET the vaccine, DON'T have a single million dollar superprize. Divide the prize up and have smaller payouts, but MORE people to get the shot. For instance, pay each winner 5000 dollars and you'd have 200 winners. Your chances for winning would improve and your incentive for getting the vaccine would go up. Just a thought.

I have always made the same points about the national lottery in the UK, no axe to grind though because I don't gamble.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I just moved to Win 10. Now I have to move again? :eek:
:D

nope.. windows10 still has another 5 years of life left apparently

Got the call yesterday for my 2nd jab in two weeks' time

we're going slow downunder when it comes to vaccinations only 3% of the population has been fully done.

Hornet3d

Wise
:D

nope.. windows10 still has another 5 years of life left apparently

Got the call yesterday for my 2nd jab in two weeks' time

we're going slow downunder when it comes to vaccinations only 3% of the population has been fully done.

Five years is a long time considering the changes that covid is bringing about. I am not sure I will still be doing 3D art in five years and if that is the case I will be using Linux. My wife and I already use Linux more than half of our computer needs and sometimes I only use Windows 10 because I already have it booted up for Poser.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
If I had more software I use on a daily basis with Linux versions, I would've switched years ago.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
My husband told me this morning, in the company they are talking about the mandatory vaccination for Athletes who are in a club.
Many of his young colleges are angry , desperate. They are between 28-35 years, active in Cyclist club and Triathlon. Perfectly healthy with strong immune system. Almost all of them had already Covid, without symptom's, or almost none. They know it, because Blood tests and Health check
mandatory every 6 months for them. Now they get forced to get the vaccination. I thought always protect the vulnerable was the dogma. Looks like not.

Hornet3d

Wise
My husband told me this morning, in the company they are talking about the mandatory vaccination for Athletes who are in a club.
Many of his young colleges are angry , desperate. They are between 28-35 years, active in Cyclist club and Triathlon. Perfectly healthy with strong immune system. Almost all of them had already Covid, without symptom's, or almost none. They know it, because Blood tests and Health check
mandatory every 6 months for them. Now they get forced to get the vaccination. I thought always protect the vulnerable was the dogma. Looks like not.

I tend to be against anything that is forced on individuals, if you cannot make a strong enough argument for people to decide to comply willingly then improve the argument or add incentives, using force is the sloppy way out. I have the same concern over opt out procedures where every one is opted in by default, I may be slightly strange but it never works on me as I immediately opt out of everything based on this purely on principle.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Nothing mandatory here as far as anyone with the power to make things mandatory goes. The Govt. won't mandate such a thing and expect to survive a confidence vote if they do. I fully expect a late summer or early fall election as the Federal govt. tries to take advantage of the good will as more and more of the population get their shots.

I have heard of those lotteries for getting a vaccine that they are running in some states south of the border. I haven't seen them here, but that doesn't mean there are none. Just that I have yet to see such a thing. If you require a vague chance of winning a lottery as your motivation to do something you would not due otherwise I find it a sad commentary on the whole thing.

As things start to reopen it will be up to individual businesses as to whether or not their staff need to be vaccinated. There will of course be social pressure to be vaccinated if you work in close contact with your customers; such as a bar or personal grooming establishment.

I have a laptop with an Ubuntu installation I never use. Once a year I open it up and update it to the latest iteration. I usually use this XPS (Old desktop not newish laptop like Miss B.) for almost everything I do. It started out life as Win7 32bit and has been upgraded repeatedly till it hit W10 64bit. I love my XPS. The Gen10 box gets almost no use at all. All the bells and whistles, flashing lights and over the top graphics that gamers drool over. I bought it last summer as the heat started cooking my poor XPS. It gets turned it on once a week to get any Win updates and check to see Poser is still working after them only because this poor Dell has served beyond the call of valour and terms of engagement and I am afraid it will fail at almost every moment.

Vaccination rates here are climbing fast. Over 70% with a single shot and almost 30% with a second shot across the country. Provinces vary as health care is a Provincial responsibility. Federal money, Provincial spending of it. That means that rates vary place to place.

Hornet3d

Wise
There has been talk here in the UK that they will make vaccinations compulsory for National Health Service staff and anyone working in a care home for the elderly but nothing has yet been decided. There was quite a body of opinion that was against the measure and I think the government will have to tread carefully so they do not damage what little good will that still exists. Mind you there will be a delay on any decision as the man who was in charge of such things has had to resign due to breaking his own social distancing rules while playing away from home so it will be a while before his replacement can pick up the loose ends.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I tend to be against anything that is forced on individuals, if you cannot make a strong enough argument for people to decide to comply willingly then improve the argument or add incentives, using force is the sloppy way out. I have the same concern over opt out procedures where every one is opted in by default, I may be slightly strange but it never works on me as I immediately opt out of everything based on this purely on principle.
At first they should explain why perfect healthy young people should take the Vaccine. They are not in danger from Covid. But you hear only the argument of "Protecting others" , which is nonsense. You still can catch it and transmit. Also "herd immunity" which is nonsense also. Virus mutates, this is how a virus survive.

DanaTA

Distinguished
The longer a virus is allowed to be passed around, the more chance it has to mutate. And there is evidence that the vaccines prevent spread as well as protect the person who is vaccinated. Protecting others is not nonsence!!! There are people who cannot get the vaccine because of certain things, such as allergic reactions to a lot of things, people who have recently had, or are currently undergoing, radiation or chemotherapy for cancer, and a few other things. If you don't have these conditions and refuse to get vaccinated...stay away from my mom!!! (or any elder, or any person, who can't get the vaccine for some reason)

eclark1894

Visionary
The longer a virus is allowed to be passed around, the more chance it has to mutate. And there is evidence that the vaccines prevent spread as well as protect the person who is vaccinated. Protecting others is not nonsence!!! There are people who cannot get the vaccine because of certain things, such as allergic reactions to a lot of things, people who have recently had, or are currently undergoing, radiation or chemotherapy for cancer, and a few other things. If you don't have these conditions and refuse to get vaccinated...stay away from my mom!!! (or any elder, or any person, who can't get the vaccine for some reason)
Everything you said is true, Dana, except... well, if your mom's not vaccinated and can't get vaccinated then the onus is actually on her to stay away from others, wouldn't you say? It gets kind of complicated in day to day life, so personally, I don't think anyone needs to be avoided unless you know for sure they have the disease. Kind of makes me think of how Monk had to live his life, thinking eveyone could infect him with something at anytime. Btw, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think if you're not vaccinated then you should avoid others, if you think you're carrying or don't want to get sick.:)