• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Earl's WIPs

eclark1894

Visionary
Made a seat and mirrored everything. This is still a concept for now.

1575682206031.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking good. One question though . . . what's the smaller wheel for, or is that what you think folks would use to turn the larger wheels?

It's been a while since I've seen anyone in a wheelchair, so I don't recall if that's how they're set up.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I am working from a reference picture, and I don't own one, but I think it helps steer when rolling and steadying the chair when at rest.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Would you really want to be touching the wheel after it's rolled through everything that's on the pavement/sidewalk? The handrim/pushrim is used to propel/maneuver the wheelchair.

1575706200765.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I looked it up and this is the answer I got.

"To make the chair easier to move. The small wheels (castors) make it easier to change the direction of the chair as they spin around. It's called front wheel drive. Think of it like a car; the front wheels are moveable and the rear wheels follow suit. "
Would you really want to be touching the wheel after it's rolled through everything that's on the pavement/sidewalk? The handrim/pushrim is used to propel/maneuver the wheelchair.

View attachment 54325
Thanks, Satira. It's early and I just woke up so I totally mis understood the question until you posted that pic. I thought she was talking about the smaller rolling wheels.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Originally, I thought that too. But then I realized, it probably wasn't the castors, but the handrim/pushrim wheels. The wheelchairs I saw didn't have spokes like the rear wheels, but were attached at intervals to the rear wheel.

But ... while the basic design on wheelchairs is pretty much the same, there are certainly variations like the reference picture you are using.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, I see from that photo Satira supplied the smaller wheels don't have spokes, and now that I think about it, that would be more feasible, or your hand(s) could get struck by one of them, or you might try and grab it in the wrong place where one of the spokes are located.

Removing the spokes from the steering wheels might be just what's needed to make them more realistic. Otherwise it's looking good.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Don't forget brakes, they're important. Some wheels also have solid disks over the outside so you can't accidentally put your fingers through the spokes when pushing the chair. If you want and if I remember I can take reference photos of my sister's chair, but not until next week.

eclark1894

Visionary
Don't forget brakes, they're important. Some wheels also have solid disks over the outside so you can't accidentally put your fingers through the spokes when pushing the chair. If you want and if I remember I can take reference photos of my sister's chair, but not until next week.
I'm glad you mentioned brakes because my schematic doesn't even reference them.

Attachments

• 5-02-01.jpg
    5-02-01.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 230

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I should hate to have to get into, get out of or sit while doing something with both hands in a chair with no brakes. I guess hospital chairs designed to be pushed by a porter might not have brakes?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, they are realistic, Miss B. I told you, I'm using reference pics. And those are called mag wheels.
Ahhh, OK, though HaiGan's comment about solid plates over the outside would be a nice safety measure for someone's fingers. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
What cha think? Good enough to eat? I'm thinking it needs some salt.:)

Also, I don't want to texture it, but I do want it to look more like a baked pretzel, so that may be the only way to go. Or maybe I could get a gradient.

1580992197513.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I think salt on the surface will certainly make it look more realistic.

One question, as it's been a long time since I've seen a street vendor in this neighborhood, especially not one who sells salted pretzels, but shouldn't the two ends be entwined where they meet in the center?

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I live in NC so I've never seen a street vendor in this neighborhood. :D

I was using a reference pic.
softpretzel.jpg

Still have to get the salt right though.