WIP Dusk Skeleton In Progress

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by Chris, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

I started modeling this skull for Dusk some time ago, maybe it was about last spring. Not quite sure. BUT... from my history of creating skeletons, and I've made several, anatomy models are evergreen products that have long term value. I created my first one at Viewpoint data labs with 2 other modelers on my anatomy team. I created another while at Zygote with one of my business partners, then created it again from NURBs to polys and fit it to our female figure Victoria, that same skeleton was derezed and is the skeleton that DAZ has now. I've also created one while at Zygote for an infant used for a National Geographic special featuring conjoined twins.

Anyway, here is work that is still in progress for us at HiveWire. I own a physical detailed full skeleton model and I'm using it as our reference for this project. Showing some of the efforts here. This one is going to take some time and a big effort, but it shows how we're in this for the long haul. The skull will have value by itself and from there I'll create the vertebral column and out from there. Then we'll fit it to Dawn and we'll have a good strong base to add other organs around.

For now this will all take a back seat to our big animal focus and push. The rest of the planned horse breeds, elephants, and big cat certainly take priority, but I'll try to keep this moving on the back burner and stir it occasionally.

Skull37.JPG Skull38.JPG Skull39.JPG Skull40.JPG

Ken1171 and RAMWolff like this.
  2. Chris

How it started. Like all projects, this is pretty raw at first.

Skull1.JPG Skull2.JPG Skull3.JPG Skull4.JPG Skull5.JPG Skull6.JPG Skull7.JPG Skull8.JPG Skull9.JPG Skull10.JPG

3. Chris

and more...

Skull12.JPG Skull13.JPG Skull14.JPG Skull15.JPG Skull16.JPG Skull17.JPG

Skull18.JPG

Skull19.JPG

Skull20.JPG

Skull21.JPG

4. Chris

Still more detail added in. Gotta admit, this was a real challenge to model in this type of detail from raw modeling with no scan reference or digitized data to start with.

Skull25.JPG Skull26.JPG Skull27.JPG Skull28.JPG Skull29.JPG

Skull30.JPG

Skull31.JPG

Skull32.JPG

Skull36.JPG

Ken1171, Rae134, RAMWolff and 3 others like this.
  5. Alisa

Alisa Peacekeeper & HW3D QAV Queen Bee Staff Member QAV-BEE

Alas, poor Dusk! I knew him, Chris...

Oh, not Shakespeare..

Creek.

Clearly I need some sleep :p

Awesome, by the way...

Desertsilver likes this.
  6. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

@Alisa, Lol...

@Chris , it never fails to amaze me how talented you are at modelling and knowledgeable about anatomy.

7. Chris

Ha, nice!

8. Chris

Thanks Pen, you're very kind. About the only thing I do know is some modeling.

9. Pendraia

I think you know more than you realise...I wouldn't know where to start with a skeleton or some of the other wonderful models you've done.

10. sanbie

sanbie Noteworthy Contributing Artist

Yep I agree with Pen...I certainly wish I had your talent

11. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

What a gorgeous skull!

Well ... if one can call a skull gorgeous.

12. Darryl

Darryl Eager

I believe I have a skeleton that I've never used before. I wonder if it makes sense to add morphs where it could be cro-magnon, neanderthal or some other early human. Perhaps different races could be morphed in as I believe their skulls are differently shaped. Just a thought.

13. 3wComics

3wComics Brilliant Contributing Artist

Yep, awesome as usual. I would love it Chris if you ever have time to post modelling tips in short videos, like maybe your workflow, how you decide how to start your projects, decisions on topology, retopology, etc. Like I say, I know you are busy, but would be great to tap into your years of modelling experience.

RAMWolff likes this.
  14. Chris

Definitely add value to the skull. Actually also to add expression morphs to it as well. Like to the orbit of the eye.

Rae134 likes this.
  15. Chris

It is a solid idea actually.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments ladies.

16. Sunfire

Sunfire One Busy Little Bee QAV-BEE Contributing Artist

Alisa you hit what I was thinking right on!

Very nice Chris, a skeletal head is just what people need for the creep factor. Or... their thespians... or... their budding med students, or labs or... there's so many uses for a good skull, including cute earrings!

17. Pendraia

Good suggestions Darryl and welcome to the hive!

18. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

:rofl:

19. Alisa

Alisa Peacekeeper & HW3D QAV Queen Bee Staff Member QAV-BEE

:)

The man's waaaaaay too modest.

20. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Without a doubt!