• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DoodleDesigns' WIPs

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I worked on improving the hay texture so that the twine was more visible. I also modified the hay-sticky-outs to randomize and shorten them more.

Here's the modified hay with the original twine color - orange. You can see the twine better than before.

Here it is Aussie style - with blue twine.;)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Is it possible to round the corners a little more, so that they aren't so square? Just a thought. It is looking really nice, and love both colors twine, but the blue does stand out more for me. The flakes look good too.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Is it possible to round the corners a little more, so that they aren't so square?

The corners are somewhat rounded, as you can see in the folowing images. You think they need to be even more rounded?

With hay-sticky-outs.

With displacement.

I've also done quite a bit on the edges of the texture, so that the edges would be blended, rather than with sharp lines.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It's where the 3 edges some together, that I'm talking about. You can see it in the displacement above. I don't know if the corner can be flattened more or not. It's not that it looks bad, mind you, just a little square. And I have to say, it looks better than ANY other hay bale I have seen for 3D! So, not a criticism!

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
How does it look now?

Original displacement:

New displacement:

Original displacement: (The lighting isn't the best in these close-ups.)

New displacement:

Original displacement:

New displacement:

And this is not the end of my tinkering. I'm really at a stage where I'm just trying to make sample textures so that I can move on to the next item.

But I have no problem with suggestions - sort of a pre-beta-testing. ;)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Speaking of moving on to other items, here I've added a hay stack and a mouthful of hay for the horses. Also, various scattered hay spots from sparsely to densely scattered, which can be combined to achieve the results seen.

I'm working on making hay-sticky-outs for the hay stack.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Great work!
Only critique I have is make the inside of the bucket and hay feeder dirty/worn/well used looking.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sorry, nothing I can really do to help, Lyne :(. Doodle would need to connect with other CAs, and find someone who would like to do conversions.