• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Discussion about Poser Rigging and DS Rigging etc

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You know what's really irking me about that thread are the Rendo moderators. The posters over there are basically bad mouthing Poser, and no moderator says a thing. It's "constructive criticism". Say something negative about Studio, and it doesn't even matter what it is that you said, suddenly it's software bashing and they warn you that they're going to lock the thread.

It's always been that way. Poser bashing has always been fair game at Renderosity. Why do you think they keep going there to do it?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Please, let's end the discussion of Rendo 's (or other places) moderation of their forums. Trust me, it's not easy to moderate forums and decide where to draw the line on things and what to allow and not allow.

[DAZ] they also forbid anything related to HW figures as well.

looking at the history I can understand why Daz3d would not support the Hivewire family.

It's not a matter of history or, even anything unusual. DAZ does not sell addons in their store for things that are not sold at their store.

Which just goes to show that one fit for everyone isn't any truer with software than it is with clothing.

<snip>

DS has definitely improved from that early version, and it's truly amazing what some people are able to produce with DS. At the same time, Poser has also improved, and it's just as amazing what some people are able to produce with Poser.

Hehe this is a "love or hate" part of Poser/DS, where opinions vary a lot. I think it may be that people will like more the interface they got started with, and will resist the other one because they are not used to it. After using DS for years for content creation, I just got used to interface, and didn't think it was better or worse than Poser. It's just a matter of getting used to it, though I am still more proficient with Poser because I don't have to fight the interface so much. However, if I had started with DS and then moved to Poser, I could probably be saying the opposite! LOL

And this above is why I don't get the rabid "Poser is the only one" or "DAZ Studio is the only one" people. BOTH programs have a lot to offer, and I agree that a lot of which each person refers probably has to do withwhich one they started with, and maybe how their brains work. I found DS completely un-intuitive until version 4 and then all of a sudden, I started to really like it, even though I started years and years ago with Poser 1 (didn't do much with it, but I had it :)).

Now, I'd say I like both equally - some things I like better about one and some better about the other, but they're both just means to an end. The whole "DAZ Studio vs Poser" infighting seems as stupid as someone getting all bent out of shape about whether watercolor or oils are a better type of paint. They're just different.

But like you, one particular thing I can't get over in DS were the lights.

Yeah, I just use lights others have set up. It's easier for me in Poser to see what the lighting will look like before rendering.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yeah, I just use lights others have set up. It's easier for me in Poser to see what the lighting will look like before rendering.

That's funny....the one thing I still like better about DS is their lighting system. I love that you can look through the light and adjust it directly. Yeah, yeah, I know Poser has the light cameras, but they are labeled stupidly and they are much harder to manipulate than the ones in DS were - and manipulation is much more restricted than in DS.

I saw a tutorial the other day about parenting a light to a camera in Poser and when I get a moment to breathe from rigging I'm gonna try it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yeah, yeah, I know Poser has the light cameras, but they are labeled stupidly and they are much harder to manipulate than the ones in DS were - and manipulation is much more restricted than in DS.

I have repeatedly posted the request to name the litecams properly at SMS, and perhaps, if more people do the same, it will be elevated in their list of priorities for the next release. It's probably how it works with them.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I know exactly the response I would have got elsewhere. Or shall we say ... that I got elsewhere. It wasn't until HiveWire came along in 2013 that I stopped visiting the forums with any sort of regularity over there. I've never subscribed to the "my software is better than yours" ... but always, always qualified it as this works best for me and why. Which still resulted in being attacked.

I honestly don't completely understand why some people take it as an affront when you express an opinion that doesn't match theirs. Or why you are the enemy if you don't look the same, talk the same, worship the same, dress the same, drive the same car, eat the same foods, or use the same software. Granted, I do find some things about other cultures strange. But I also find bigotry ... no matter how it is expressed ... strange.

Saturday evening, the fire alarm went off in our building. Generally, it gets shut off within 5 minutes or so. A bit longer if someone has to trek down the stairs to the control room to shut off the alarm. In this case, it wasn't shut off until the fire department arrived and confirmed it wasn't a fire. Which was probably a good 15 to 20 minutes of the (air raid) alarms blaring. Turned out it was someone burning a bundle of incense in their apartment on the 16th floor. However, as I was slowly making my way down the stairs (I have a bad knee), while hauling Tsuki's carrier down the stairs ... a couple from an upper floor passed me. The woman stopped to blame the fire alarm on residents from the Middle East ... because "they always burn food and open their doors to the hallway."

Though I know this probably sounds a bit bigoted too ... it's more likely to be college students burning food or burning incense ... regardless of country of origin. I was young once too. We tend not to realize the consequences of opening the door to a hallway to vent smoke when we're young and inexperienced. Or that perhaps burning an entire bundle of incense isn't necessarily all that smart. As a youngun (high school no less), we frequently had lunch at a nearby restaurant that was owned by some of the teachers. It was intended to be a place for students to hang out during lunch and after school. Of course, all the tables had jar candles ... for ambience. So ... back to young people being not all that smart. For some unknown reason, I was curious what would happen if I touched a paper napkin to the flame. Seriously ?!? I was a teenager!!! How could I not know what would happen. Well it did. The napkin caught fire, and I dropped it in the jar. The jar promptly cracked from the heat.

I still can't believe how very stupid that was. More than 5 decades later!

And yes. I've opened my door to the hallway to clear smoke out of my apartment. Fortunately, I never set off an alarm doing so. But I also had opened the windows in my apartment and turned on the fan over the stove. So ... just pure luck, I didn't set off a building alarm.

I do think the funniest thing I ever encountered in a stairwell conversation during a fire alarm was the older guy who commented about having to leave his pot behind. It's not legal in Pennsylvania to be in possession of any marijuana ... unlike other states where it's legal to carry small amounts intended for personal use. Though PA is slowly ... very, very slowly implementing the medical marijuana program ... which was signed into law in April 2016.

Now you see I like that, a personal description of what you use, how that came about and why. Not decrying the alternative but accepting others will feel very different. I dread to think what response you would have got saying the same thing elsewhere but, at the same time, I rejoice in the fact it can be said here.

Hornet3d

Wise
Please, let's end the discussion of Rendo 's (or other places) moderation of their forums. Trust me, it's not easy to moderate forums and decide where to draw the line on things and what to allow and not allow.

It's not a matter of history or, even anything unusual. DAZ does not sell addons in their store for things that are not sold at their store: .

Thank you for the correction, sorry if I spoke out of turn.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
No worries, folks..just trying to keep things from going bad places ;)

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I saw a tutorial the other day about parenting a light to a camera in Poser and when I get a moment to breathe from rigging I'm gonna try it.
In a nutshell:
1. Copy translations/rotations from camera to (optionally new) spot without target (Ctrl-C - Ctrl-V).
2. Parent
3. Edit translations to taste (important for some kind of effects)
4. Enjoy

Do almost the same in DS if you feel that headlamp lacks necessary controls.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I had trouble trying to rig a skirt for Genesis 8 using general weights in DS 4.9. The thigh has 2 joints: one for bending/side-side, and another (apparently) just for twisting. It's 1 group with 2 joints, and [apparently] just a single weight map for everything. I have tried for a long time to make the thigh weights work, but as soon as I adjust one, it ruins the other 2 rotations.

There was also the fact that we have to disable all JCMs on the figure before doing this, which I managed to create my own control on the figure to do it. Nevertheless, I still couldn't reconcile all 3 rotations with a single map. That can only mean I am doing something wrong.

The 2 joints in a single thigh group might have something to do with it, and I was told NOT to change anything on the rotation joint, that everything should be done on the first joint instead. I have tried to guess my way around it, but ended up giving up after not being able to make all 3 rotations work with a single map.

Maybe someone here could explain that to me?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
In a nutshell:
1. Copy translations/rotations from camera to (optionally new) spot without target (Ctrl-C - Ctrl-V).
2. Parent
3. Edit translations to taste (important for some kind of effects)
4. Enjoy

Do almost the same in DS if you feel that headlamp lacks necessary controls.

Quick follow up question - can I rename the camera and parent lights to more than one?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
1. Didn't try to rename cameras, so don't know. (Camera panel fan here :) )
2. Yes, why not? You can attach as many everything you want to any camera, sometimes I just attach part of a scene to the different cameras. Didn't try with attached cameras like face/hands.

D

Deleted member 325

I would just like to add that Autodesk 3DSMAX is WAY higher end, WAY more expensive, and WAY more professional than Poser as a tool, and even they took ages to incorporate some kind of decent particle dynamics to the package. Fluids dynamics is still very expensive, even for 3DSMAX. However, we already have Poser plugins that provide particle effects, some of which are sold right here at HW. They provide smoke, fire, snow, rain, water splashes, and what not. :)
I am not disputing that Maya, 3DSMAx and Lightwave are much higher end, however, Poser Pro's regular price at least has soared to be very close to Lightwave when it is on sale on sale these days ($495 for the last Poser Pro vs Lightwaves last sale offered to me without upgrade pricing at $525). This, in my opinion, means that Poser must close this gap in technology, at least on their Pro Offering, to be worth continuing to justify the cost. I am not attacking Poser or Smith Micro, I feel the software has lots of great features and untapped potential yet - but I also feel these are key features that would greatly enhance it's capabilities. Mind you I am not asking for fluid simulation calculations, I am asking for MetaNurbs and Particles. MetaNurbs implemented would allow for fluid-like and more organic-like on-the-fly modeling which can be used to emulate fluid, gas, and energy effects surfaces either static or in motion, and a true particle engine (which while the products sold here are nice they are not particle effects) can be used in conjunction with the metanurbs to generate movement effects (the Particles PZ3 script was very good...lacked a few features...but could get the job done).

There was an animation floating around to demonstrate what I want to show for MetaNurb effects but I can not find it right now. I may have to use Lightwave to make one myself (which is time I do not have right now).

Unfortunately most of what you will find for Nurb's or Metaballs (similar tech to Nurbs, and I would actually prefer Metaballs to MetaNurbs for Poser uses) in a search expounds on their uses in Modeling. While they can be, and are used in modeling by some, this is not their most useful aspect. However this is why so many do not think they are needed in Poser, because they are constantly seen as a Modeling tool by those looking up the terminology who have not used or had practical experience with them in production. Though, for point of argument, on-the-fly modeling of splashes or spatters in liquids, and waves would be the most obvious and useful aspect when composing an image or animation in Poser. However, also consider, on the fly fire, flames, and billowing clouds or smoke that you could actually have physically interact with your actors and environments?

Of course, Hypervoxels could be used for some of these as well...if memory is no object?

D

Deleted member 325

Maybe somebody could answer a question for me. If not, I'll take it over to DAZ, but weren't your RDNA purchases supposed to be automatically added to your DAZ product library?
Only those where the RuntimeDNA vendor had either migrated the product to Daz3D's catalog, or allowed Daz3D to continue to distribute the files. For those former vendors that did not migrate or wanted nothing to do with Daz3D, or retired, those purchase histories may either be at another site, or lost.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am not disputing that Maya, 3DSMAx and Lightwave are much higher end, however

On this subject, I had a conversation with SMS concerning who Poser Pro was supposed to target, and how much they were willing to invest on it. This conversation came up exactly because of the price range you have mentioned, and it happened just before the Poser 11 release.

My point was that I have been submitting "pro" features suggestions directly to them since Poser 7, and to this date not a single one was even discussed. SMS' reply was that Poser Pro was a "niche market", and didn't represent the bulk of the software sales, and was, therefore, not a priority for the company at the time. I suppose the bottom line was that the Pro version didn't sell enough to justify the investment, which is not surprising considering the price tag vs provided features. Like you said, when it reaches the $600 range, it's already trying to compete with much bigger fish and it's not up to it.

I have criticized this price tag since SMS took over Poser back in version 7, in the sense that Poser Pro isn't even a modeling application, and therefore was ultimately overpriced. Unfortunately, nobody backed me up on that opinion at the time, so if people were Ok with that, there was nothing else for me to say.

Coming from that, we should only expect new features of that scale if there is a FREE framework SMS could incorporate into Poser, like it was with Cycles and the Bullet physics engine.

D

Deleted member 325

My point was that I have been submitting "pro" features suggestions directly to them since Poser 7, and to this date not a single one was even discussed.
Same situation, though I never even got a reply. Just "It would be considered". Though I do not/did not have direct contact with anyone in development. Only briefly before RuntimeDNA folded and before Charles Taylor left the team at SM did I have chance to communicate with anyone involved directly with Poser's development. - and the brief discussions seemed hopeful at the time.
Despite all, I am trying to be hopeful that the new dev team will look at the situation with fresh eyes, including competitors, and address either the discrepancy in features or pricing, especially for Pro.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have the impression those kinds of decision are up to SMS, and not the development team. Especially now that the dev team was scouted in Portugal because it's cheaper there comparing to the Silicon Valley. Coming from there, I am not sure what to expect from Poser 12, and I even suspect it will take longer to come out, or it will be rather disappointing. This new team has no experience with Poser, so my guesses are coming from there.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I just screwed up an entire evening. I was grouping the cheongsam for Dusk and was working on the left collar. Got up to go watch tv and when i came back I sat down and assigned all the vertices to the chest 2 area. I hate grouping. That's why I've always let the Set up room do it before. It wasn't perfectt, but it was close enough for government work, as they say. I don't suppose anybody knows of a utility out there that will let you transfer the groups from the figures to the clothes, do you?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, I just screwed up an entire evening. I was grouping the cheongsam for Dusk and was working on the left collar. Got up to go watch tv and when i came back I sat down and assigned all the vertices to the chest 2 area. I hate grouping. That's why I've always let the Set up room do it before. It wasn't perfectt, but it was close enough for government work, as they say. I don't suppose anybody knows of a utility out there that will let you transfer the groups from the figures to the clothes, do you?

Best thing since sliced bread: AutoGroup Editor - the advanced group editor for Poser clothes modelers 3D Software : Poser : Daz Studio : iClone markdc

I never let Poser group, nor do I do it manually.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't suppose anybody knows of a utility out there that will let you transfer the groups from the figures to the clothes, do you?

If you are in DS, that would be the Transfer Utility. If you are in Poser, that would be the Fitting Room or the Setup Room. The good is that it's a 1-click operation. The bad is that in Poser it destroys your original OBJ, breaking every group into a separate geometry. If you do that in DS, it keep the OBJ as a single piece, which is how it should be.

Another con is that auto-grouping generally creates a rather poor quality job, especially at "thin" groups such as neck1, neck2, abdomen1, and abdomen2. It's usually a good idea to clean up the mess afterwards. Both Poser and DS allow editing the groups, though here again, only DS will keep the geometry in a single piece during this process.

I always do my grouping in Modo, but it can be done in Blender3D as well. I don't know any other program that can do this while preserving the OBJ integrity. For instance, all Autodesk programs (3DSMAX, Maya, etc) will all break the geometry into multiple pieces.