• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Discussion about Poser Rigging and DS Rigging etc

I had trouble trying to rig a skirt for Genesis 8 using general weights in DS 4.9. The thigh has 2 joints: one for bending/side-side, and another (apparently) just for twisting. It's 1 group with 2 joints, and [apparently] just a single weight map for everything. I have tried for a long time to make the thigh weights work, but as soon as I adjust one, it ruins the other 2 rotations.

There was also the fact that we have to disable all JCMs on the figure before doing this, which I managed to create my own control on the figure to do it. Nevertheless, I still couldn't reconcile all 3 rotations with a single map. That can only mean I am doing something wrong.

The 2 joints in a single thigh group might have something to do with it, and I was told NOT to change anything on the rotation joint, that everything should be done on the first joint instead. I have tried to guess my way around it, but ended up giving up after not being able to make all 3 rotations work with a single map.

Maybe someone here could explain that to me?

The couple of tutorials I've seen on rigging dresses and skirts have either used custom rigging templates or involved creating custom rigging with added bones and grouping portions of the dress/skirt with the Geometry Editor. Give me a day or so to locate something more for you.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I do not know how to answer that, Ken, as I have never understood this complaint.

That is actually the reason why it's not a good idea to let Poser group the model. The OBJ it outputs is no longer the same you have created. It's the same thing that happens if I try to group the models in 3DSMAX.

The couple of tutorials I've seen on rigging dresses and skirts have either used custom rigging templates or involved creating custom rigging with added bones and grouping portions of the dress/skirt with the Geometry Editor. Give me a day or so to locate something more for you.

Oh thanks! I know how to rig a skirt with TriAx, but apparently not with general weights used in G3F and G8F. They have changed the rigging system and what I used to do with TriAx no longer works with general weights.

My biggest question is what's with the 2 joints per group on the thighs, and why editing one rotation ruins the work already done on the others. I know it's a single map, but I can't seem to get all 3 thigh rotations to work with it. For example, when I finish Bend and Side-Side, editing for Twist ruins the other 2. There must be a catch.

eclark1894

Visionary
That is actually the reason why it's not a good idea to let Poser group the model. The OBJ it outputs is no longer the same you have created. It's the same thing that happens if I try to group the models in 3DSMAX.

Oh thanks! I know how to rig a skirt with TriAx, but apparently not with general weights used in G3F and G8F. They have changed the rigging system and what I used to do with TriAx no longer works with general weights.

My biggest question is what's with the 2 joints per group on the thighs, and why editing one rotation ruins the work already done on the others. I know it's a single map, but I can't seem to get all 3 thigh rotations to work with it. For example, when I finish Bend and Side-Side, editing for Twist ruins the other 2. There must be a catch.
Here's the issue then. I can assign the vertices to the correct group in Blender. Or Poser. I'm not trying to rig it yet, I just want to get the vertices into their correct grouping. So when I do finally rig the clothing and it does get sliced up by Poser, I can switch it out with a WHOLE object that is already correctly grouped.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
BOUGHT IT!
You will be pleased, I'm sure. I grouped exactly one piece of clothing years ago in the modeler. Then, ran to purchase AGE.

Now, his instructions are a bit convoluted, so let me make it easy for you:
1. Load Dusk's Object file as Load Source Figure
2. Load your clothing as Load Clothing Object
3. In the Source Figure Groups box, at the bottom, click on None first, then click on the body part you need (upper, lower, etc.)
4. Scroll carefully through the Source Figure Groups checking and unchecking what you need. The groups are based on the DAZ generation 4 figures, so the pelvis and new Dawn/Dusk groups will have to be manually checked off. V4/M4 only have one neck, one abdomen, etc. Be sure to check Dusk/Dawn's 2nd group in this list IF you need it in your groups.
5. Click the Transfer Groups button
6. Click on the Auto Group2 button
7. File>Save Object

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
Maybe I'm missing something. I thought grouping was when you assign vertices to a vertex group in the mesh. Blender will do this without breaking up the mesh. I know the Set up Room breaks up the mesh, but I thought this was because it also has to assign that group to follow specific bones.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Maybe I'm missing something. I thought grouping was when you assign vertices to a vertex group in the mesh. Blender will do this without breaking up the mesh. I know the Set up Room breaks up the mesh, but I thought this was because it also has to assign that group to follow specific bones.

Yes, I have mentioned somewhere above that Modo and Blender are the only 2 programs I know of that preserve the OBJ in one piece. :)