• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Deidre for Luna

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I would like some feedback on scaling for Baby Luna. Deidre contains the teeth that kids would normally have. I'm thinking about 3 years of age if using Deidre on Luna for realistic models.

So as I have a six year old niece and a three year old niece that I saw yesterday for Christmas, I'd say they look very much the right size. If only I'd seen your post sooner, they probably would have thought it really funny if I had tried to line them up in a T-pose to take a picture. But looking at recent pictures I have of the two of them together, I would say if anything maybe Luna should be a a little shorter? Of course that's just one set of 3 and 6 year olds so there is obviously lots of variety.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks GG...you're right there is lots of variety...I was worried that I didn't have her tall enough. The little boys that come into my rooms sisters are quite little so there is less difference between them. Quite amusing to watch them try and pick up their little brothers are the girls are quite dainty.

How much shorter would you think?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Looks good so far, Pen. I do think Luna's neck is too thick.

I have to agree with Traci. The proportional sizing looks good, but Luna's neck is a bit too thick. I know young children can have thick necks, but she's not chubby in any sense of the word, so it looks a little strange.

Good point Ladies and I will have to see if I can make it look better today...just woke up and having my first cuppa for the day.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks GG...you're right there is lots of variety...I was worried that I didn't have her tall enough. The little boys that come into my rooms sisters are quite little so there is less difference between them. Quite amusing to watch them try and pick up their little brothers are the girls are quite dainty.

How much shorter would you think?

I wouldn't say much shorter. I would say if Luna's ears were about at Deirdre's waist. So you're really close.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I testing some Iray settings at the moment but as soon as the render finishes I'll have a go at adjusting the height and the neck.

Anything else that anyone notices that doesn't sit right? Now's the time to let me know...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Is this better...I've adjusted the width on the neck and the height as I thought part of the problem with the neck was it was very short.

Ears are now closer to the waist...

Does this look right? Ignore the skin...I've just started playing with Iray.
This better.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I might pull the width in just a little more. If you play too much with the height width around there the Poser version will have some issues where you scaled it when you create the cr2 and import it. You might also make the head just a little larger and see how it looks. Kids around that age tend to have larger head to body ratios.

The ears look really good now. As for teeth suggestions here are a few. You could have a partial morph shape set that can be applied to them that raises or lowers them hides them etc that could be easily applied other than the dial morph. I know that you can dial morph them on Diva as to what stage they are coming through.

Last edited:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Three to four is a great age. Kids seem to blossom and become so creative as they begin to absorb the world around them and a real inspiration for the rest of us! I am genuinely looking forward to welcoming this young lady to the family! :squee:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Mytho and NA...

I had reduced the head originally so I'll check how that looks when bigger. It could be the neck is still looking wide to you because of the head size so I'll try the head first and then the neck.

I haven't changed the ears...I was using them to change the height as GG suggested and aiming to get them closer to the waist. Hope that makes sense...

I wasn't going to do more teeth morphs. Most 3 year old's teeth have erupted at this point.
See here: Your Child's Teeth

Teeth come in lots of varieties 3 year old teeth - Google Search

Maybe we need a teeth pack to provide more at some point but Deidre was meant to be roughly 3 years or a fae character so at this point I'm going to leave her with all her teeth.

I'd really like to have for Diva some 2nd teeth beginning to come through which the current morphs don't cover. However that would be a separate project I think as there is a lot to be done with that. Hope that's ok?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I like the idea of tooth packs for Deidre and Diva. Slightly-less-than-perfect people are much more interesting. A fact which most of us tend to forget. For instance, my eldest daughter (Sara's mom) spent most of her early years minus her four upper front baby teeth (thanks to a doctor who decided that a regular intake of Ribena provided all the vitamins she would ever need and proved just the opposite!). Happily for her it provided her with an extra cutie-pie factor which negated the disadvantages!

On proportions, may I suggest that a look at the work of other artists which has carried out over the many years. For example: Proportions of the Human Figure : How to Draw People in Correct Ratios & Proportions with Drawing Lessons & Tutorials for Cartoons & Illustrations, Realistic Art

There are a good few other sites out there all with value, but it's a good place to start. Hope it helps! :balloon03:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Thanks Mytho and NA...

I had reduced the head originally so I'll check how that looks when bigger. It could be the neck is still looking wide to you because of the head size so I'll try the head first and then the neck.

I haven't changed the ears...I was using them to change the height as GG suggested and aiming to get them closer to the waist. Hope that makes sense...

I wasn't going to do more teeth morphs. Most 3 year old's teeth have erupted at this point.
See here: Your Child's Teeth

Teeth come in lots of varieties 3 year old teeth - Google Search

I'd really like to have for Diva some 2nd teeth beginning to come through which the current morphs don't cover. However that would be a separate project I think as there is a lot to be done with that. Hope that's ok?

Yeah, that could be why the neck looks a bit out of sorts.

I'm good with it, but yeah maybe a tooth morph pack might be neat for the future for the girls and the guys. I do know there are some out for both Dusk and Dawn in the store though, but not exactly what I would call kiddie cute.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Mytho...

@NapalmArsenal, most teeth packs are fantasy orientated or at least the ones I have. I would like to be able to do things to individual teeth. For example make the two front teeth wider, more crooked, partially erupted, etc. I would also like to see better teeth textures it's one of my bugbears...teeth are too even and look false.

However, it will have to wait until I have a few more projects finished. I currently have a number of projects on the go and I'm trying to get them finished rather than flitting off to something new, which I have a tendency to do. As you would know doing the final setting up is probably the most boring aspect of content creation but very much a necessity.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah...look at the images of real teeth. Unless it's a monster texture the possibility of getting teeth with varying stages of decay are minimal...as I said, it's a real bug bear!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Height varies according to individual gentics and diet. My niece who is half Asian was about the height you have Deidre at this age, but thinking the height you have now reads from say 2 to 3 so that's a good representation for variation between the two of them. Although at 4 the growth spurt kicked in and now she is rather on the tall lanky side at 7.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Pen!

The use of head heights is not intended as a comparison between figures of different ages on the whole, just as a guideline to determining the proportions of the individual figure. For example: My daughters were born 1 year apart but the youngest, Emma who is pretty tall, generally worked out at around 3 inches shorter than her sister when stood back to back during their childhood years. By the time she was 12 she'd caught up and is now actually 1 and a half inches taller (I've just measured them back to back which earned me some strange looks!). On the other hand, grandaughter Lucy has a best friend called Michelle who is just a bit smaller than her by about 2 inches while within a few weeks of each other in age (both 4 years old). Despite their respective age differences, people do vary enormously so I wouldn't worry about her height as long as her body proportions are relevant for a child of that age, and even then there will be variations depending on racial characteristics and to a lesser degree gender, especially in youngsters. In other words, if you think she's right, she is! :)