• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio exploded on Launch!

Britt, I wonder just why things kept exploding for you?! What computer specs do you have?!
My main collection of DAZ & Poser stuff contains 15 years worth of stuff, installed manually. It all works just fine.

Britt

Admirable
The problem was Daz Studio puts up 2 many windows asking for you to input stuff in the first time you launch it after install. It works fine now!

Kerya

Brilliant
It's wonderful when you get the software to run as you want it!

(Don't ask about the installation of Bryce and the side-by-side error ... but I got it to work! LOL)

AllenArt

Eager
I've seen the side-by-side error mentioned elsewhere. Can you give a brief explanation of what it is? I may want to install Bryce at some point ;). And all three of my computers are Windows 10 now (which I'm assuming is the problem).

Laurie

Kerya

Brilliant
I've seen the side-by-side error mentioned elsewhere. Can you give a brief explanation of what it is? I may want to install Bryce at some point ;). And all three of my computers are Windows 10 now (which I'm assuming is the problem).

Laurie

Yes - that's it. Bryce needs a dll in VisualC++ that Microsoft stopped adding to Windows since Vista or 7 (nor absolutely sure which one). But you can fix it for free, as you just have to download and install the Visual C++ Runtimes that are including the dll:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347
Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update from Official Microsoft Download Center
You need the vcredist_x86.EXE

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My 2cents.

I have installed DS in every computer at every house I dogsit bar one (it's too crap to even think about doing it). I plug in my external harddrive upon which I have a terabyte of content, open DS, put in my serial number, point DS at the library and runtime, and start using my content. In 4.8 and beta 4.9. I use the content library not (un)smart content, manually download, manually install everything to everywhere and DS has never exploded on any of these computers (including mine when I reinstalled Windows after an upgrade). If no one comes up with a solution, I could install 4.9 and see what happens, it would be easy enough to do a reinstall of 4.8.

Make sure you have a back up copy of 4.8, I know this is probably too late to matter, but 4.9 will eat your 4.8 and you won't get it back unless you have an offline version of 4.8 in a separate place.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I've got backups of almost all the DS installation files going back to DS2, Dakorillon, saved onto an external drive. Good advice to the unwary, but, very good advice.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't go back to 4.8 if you paid me. It reminded me of upgrading from Windows 7 (fabulous and stable) to Windows 8 (horrible, buggy mess). Seems DAZ3D is on the same path as MS... every other release sucks in one way or another. Now on 4.9 there are a few niggles but nothing like what I was experiencing with 4.8 and even the improved 4.8.1.

As for Connect. Once you sign in just one time and your meta data is updated and or restored you can opt to NOT sign in. I sign in about once a month just to get the updated meta data for products I own. That's all. No hassle ever from the program. I've been a DAZ Studio user since it's beta days and I've never once had DAZ helping themselves to anything on my hard drive or pilfering info from me... that's just paranoia and borders on conspiracy theory stuff. Life is already too complicated and busy, I can't allow my mind to go to places like that. So worrying about that is sort of over active imagination stuff is a moot point, trust me, it's safe and it's fine. You are not forced to purchase and download through connect. I use DIM and will continue to use it until they deem it an antiquated way of downloading and installing content. Until then I'm fine. I'll cross that other bridge when I get to it and NOT waste my time with overthinking stuff that's not happened yet.

Glad you got your DS issues resolved for the most part Britt! :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm using 4.9 but so far I've just ignored Connect as I have no interest in it. I'm a bit disappointed as they removed some of the functionality from the categories. New items only show blue on the icons not on the folders and you can no longer mark them as seen on the folders.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm sure in the next 4.9 release they will have things sorted. The programmers are quite active in the beta and release threads in the DAZ Studio forums at DAZ3D and they seem to be listening well enough.

Another note.. IF you having issues with DAZ Studio and you can't figure it out or get answers that fit your specific issue then please please please submit a report to DAZ so they know and will more than likely help you. You can do that through this link:

Contact Us | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

And click the Submit a Help Ticket button.

Side note: You MUST be signed in to submit a help ticket! ;)

Thanks!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I was actually told that they had done this deliberately as some people had complained about it being buggy so they are unlikely to work on it further. I just wish they had left it alone in that case.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'm the same, Kerya. I download everything manually and install everything manually to a download folder from where I put what I want where I want. Cannot imagine allowing a machine to do the job for me, I'm too much of a control freak. And there's nowt wrong with that!