• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn Goes Shopping

eclark1894

Visionary
upload_2018-5-31_16-34-0.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Damn you're making me hungry! Now I'm going to have to make tomato soup.

eclark1894

Visionary
Expanding my list of products now to cleaning supplies. Same bottle, but two different brands. Trying to learn to conserve time and effort. The beer bottles above are the save bottle, arrayed. So I only have to make one bottle, and texture it. I can even switch out the brand labels. Unfortunately, Still have to go high poly on some of these to get everything smothed out, but then I can go back and try to reduce the polys.

upload_2018-6-2_15-48-18.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, you better get some more, because I went through them real quick with the tomato soup. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
Oh definitely understand. I can't imagine anyone creating 25-30 cans of Campbell's soup just to make it look more realistic, and I don't know of any way, as yet, for Poser to do instancing. Not even sure if the latest version of DS does it, though it might.
Something I did figure out while modeling the bottles for the beer. All I have to do is create one of most everything, like One can of soup, one loaf of bread, one box of crackers, etc. I can texture it with a Master UV map, that I can swap out for different brands. Then, I can use Blender's array modifier to create all the duplicates of the products to stock the shelves. I just have to keep that one original model as low poly as I can.

eclark1894

Visionary
Also just found a whole bunch of tutorials and videos online for how to make and design packages in Blender using Adobe Illustrator to create some thing called "dielines". Basically, it lays out the box, bag , bottle or can and shows you where the seams go for UV texturing. I've never used Illustrator before, but it is expensive. However, I also found an Open Source free version of the software. It's supposed to do everything that illustrator can do, so I guess we'll see.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't used Illustrator in years (at least one computer ago), and it's great software, but like everything Adobe, expensive.

As far as the Blender array modifier, yes, that would be the way to go. I'm just wondering if you would then be able to export the arrayed objects for use in Poser or DS, or would it then make it too heavy (in megabytes)?

eclark1894

Visionary
I haven't used Illustrator in years (at least one computer ago), and it's great software, but like everything Adobe, expensive.

As far as the Blender array modifier, yes, that would be the way to go. I'm just wondering if you would then be able to export the arrayed objects for use in Poser or DS, or would it then make it too heavy (in megabytes)?
Well, I made the beer six pack with the array modifier, So yeah they're duplicates of each other. If I can keep the initial model low poly to begin with and keep the array count relatively modest 4-5 bottles, boxes and bags of products lined up on the shelves it shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I can even array the shelves now that I think about it. Anybody know what the polycount with V4 was?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very high, but I would assume any human or animal 3D character would have a much higher poly count than the props you're creating, except maybe the store itself.