• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Glutes has been used since V3 ;) and I am pretty sure metatarsals are the small bones in the hands maybe feet too? Its been a few years since I looked at high school anatomy chart lol

Willowisp

Adventurous
You don't need to know what these thing mean to use them, but to be fair, if you want to get good at art, you really should study some basic anatomy. I see way to many artists butchering up poses because they have no clue how the body works.

Hornet3d

Wise
Glutes has been used since V3 ;) and I am pretty sure metatarsals are the small bones in the hands maybe feet too? Its been a few years since I looked at high school anatomy chart lol

Didn't study anatomy in school but I know about metatarsals because our footballers in the UK seem to keep damaging them, and I don't even follow football.

Hornet3d

Wise
There are many things about Dawn that has annoyed me over the years, and most of them have already been covered. Except one, I think (at least I don't remember reading it in this thread), and that's her teeth. IMO, her current set looks like badly made dentures, very straight and uniform. No one has real teeth like that.

Never used Dawn's default teeth as I have always used 'i13 REAL mouth for DAWN' by Ironman13, but that was because I wanted to personalise my character rather than the fact I was unhappy with the default teeth. Then again, as a Poser user and knowing that Ironman13 abandoned Poser some time ago more options for Dawn 2 seems a good idea to me.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
"More options are always good".. Not always :( Not if the figure gets so complicated that the *average* user can't figure them out. I know folks are talking about things like "metatarsals," " glutes" and other anatomically correct things but does the average user know what's being referred to ? Are we going to need an anatomy textbook sitting beside us when trying to work with Dawn 2.0 ?

Definitely not. We'll use wording that is most common or expected.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder

Carpals and Metacarpals are in the wrist and hand. Tarsals and Metatarsals are in the lower ankle and foot.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Last edited:

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
*grins * " I was just making a bit of a point..options are good as long as it's easy for the AVERAGE user to figure them out. Unclear options won't get used.

eclark1894

Visionary
Chris, some good points have been made concerning topology and anatomy, but as I recall Dusk is basically a male version of Dawn. Now I haven't seen anything from Ken 1171 concerning remaking Dusk in different body sizes and shapes. Don't even know if that's feasible or profitable, but is it a concern? Shrinking down the feet to a more girlish size or reshaping the jaw to be less mannish, will Feminizing Dawn mean feminizing Dusk? Or are you going to separate the two meshes eventually?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Chris, some good points have been made concerning topology and anatomy, but as I recall Dusk is basically a male version of Dawn. Now I haven't seen anything from Ken 1171 concerning remaking Dusk in different body sizes and shapes. Don't even know if that's feasible or profitable, but is it a concern? Shrinking down the feet to a more girlish size or reshaping the jaw to be less mannish, will Feminizing Dawn mean feminizing Dusk? Or are you going to separate the two meshes eventually?

Dawn 2.0 is a new figure - not a morph for the original Dawn. Therefore Dusk is unaffected by whatever Chris may do to the new mesh. I believe the new Dusk 2.0 will reuse this same new mesh with its own shape and rigging. On the positive side, improvements on topology will also benefit Dusk 2.0, like the new oblique muscle definition. Like it was with the original Dawn. the new Dusk 2.0 will come after Dawn 2.0 is complete, and whatever new features she will get, he will have it, too.

For the record, I didn't make morphs for Dusk because, well, I am a guy and I rather work with female shapes because that's what I love. I am not comfortable working with male characters, so I leave it for those who are. We do best what we love. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Dawn 2.0 is a new figure - not a morph for the original Dawn. Therefore Dusk is unaffected by whatever Chris may do to the new mesh. I believe the new Dusk 2.0 will reuse this same new mesh with its own shape and rigging. On the positive side, improvements on topology will also benefit Dusk 2.0, like the new oblique muscle definition. Like it was with the original Dawn. the new Dusk 2.0 will come after Dawn 2.0 is complete, and whatever new features she will get, he will have it, too.

For the record, I didn't make morphs for Dusk because, well, I am a guy and I rather work with female shapes because that's what I love. I am not comfortable working with male characters, so I leave it for those who are. We do best what we love. :)

I'm not sure I understand. You're calling it a new figure, but you're reshaping the topology of the old mesh.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I'm not sure I understand. You're calling it a new figure, but you're reshaping the topology of the old mesh.
Why reinvent the wheel? Dawns mesh is quite good, (to my limited understanding), so using it as a starting point to make an even better mesh and to correct some of the things that came up with her once the community got their hands on her makes sense no?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder

Dusk 2.0 will be the same mesh. No problem to create a man with this mesh. He'll be better as well, will bend better, morph better and this new topo with the oblique area will only help Dusk 2.o. I will have absolutely no problem with creating a solid male face, features and proportions. Looking forward to it.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder

Well said in every way.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder

Dawn S. E. was a huge improvement to Dawn. That said our new Dawn 2.o is such a rework from top to bottom, with UVs, maps, rigging and morphs, and overall effort. With that I believe Ken K. is justified in stating that Dawn 2.0 is a new figure. Dawn S.E. will be a morph on this new figure, and not the other way around.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Technically speaking, if we change even a single vertex from a figure's mesh, it invalidates ALL existing morphs, and therefore it is no longer the same figure. I imagine it was MUCH, MUCH harder to create the original Dawn because she came from nothing. We have learned so much from the original Dawn after 6 years that it makes perfect sense to start the next one from this geometry, because we now know what needs to change and where. We didn't have this when the original Dawn was created, but now we have something to build upon. Dawn 2.0 is coming from all this accumulated experience, which can only bring her closer to what we wanted her to be from the beginning.

But even if she started from the original Dawn, this new geometry has a revamped topology and an improved default shape, so I can't think of it as the "same" figure. Like Chris said, the cleaner edge loops and improved topology will allow Dawn 2.0 to be more, do more, and do it better than what the original was capable of. You may be asking yourself how could I know if it will pose and morph better if it hasn't been rigged yet. Well, that's all about the topology - I can tell by just looking at it. That's how important it is! The better the topology is, the less geometry we need to make the figure pose and morph well. This is why LaFemme cannot be sculpted or morph well, or even be rendered without subdivision. Her lack of a meaningful topology has become a liability, even when her rigging is so well designed.

Dawn 2.0 is going to be awesome!! What Chris is doing now are the building blocks for what comes next - the grouping and rigging with Paul. If allowed, I want to follow that closely, because that's where most of my suggestions concentrate on - the grouping and the rigging.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I can tell you that Paul is chomping at the bit to get his hands on this new Dawn 2.0. He is really digging what he's seeing. I too can't wait to get it to him to continue with his magic.

So here is just a small taste of the Unimesh concept with our Dawn 2.0. I've added in our Gorilla morph to her new mesh. It's still a bit sloppy and in need of refinement, but this is just a test. Check out those oblique muscles. Couldn't get that with our current Gorilla.

Dawn2Work87.JPG

Dawn2Work88.JPG