• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, to be fair, everything is morphs in that it's some UI control that's interpreted by the software to apply mathematical transforms to vertices. Morphs are weighted vectors applied to a vertex. Bone are also weights but include 3 rotations, along with bulges (weighted vectors tangent to the each axis). Much more complex vector movement. No?

From a GUI standpoint, the control is a dial. I would think it matters more to the morph maker.

If blink is a bone with a dial that says open close or blink is a morph with a dial that says open close and it produces the deformation in the mesh the user expects, then they're the same. As far as the user is concerned. From the rigging side, way different.

For lefemme, I find her expression controls way non intuitive, lacing subtlty, and producing not very good results. Whereas, V4's decades of expression morphs are nicer results. Probably were brutal to make.

Great Info, as a user I am only aware of how easy or difficult it is to create realistic expressions but it is always good to know the reason why it differs from one figure to another.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If blink is a bone with a dial that says open close or blink is a morph with a dial that says open close and it produces the deformation in the mesh the user expects, then they're the same. As far as the user is concerned. From the rigging side, way different.

When it comes to closing the eyes in head morphs that prevent it, bone rigging is quite different from morphs. Although morphs CAN be applied beyond limits, they begin undesired deformations beyond what they were intended for. Whilst with bone controls, the eye closing is not tied to morph deltas, and therefore can still function independently from it. They are different in both nature and functionality. Bone rigging will always be more versatile than morphs, which is why an increasing number of figures (including Dawn2) is adopting a facial rig.

For lefemme, I find her expression controls way non intuitive, lacing subtlty, and producing not very good results. Whereas, V4's decades of expression morphs are nicer results. Probably were brutal to make.

Yup, I had little luck with LF in more than one area. I tried, but it's just not the right figure for me.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, so basically, I close the eye like I'm bending an arm, with a dial? You know, that would make a great animation for people who want to make their figures blink in one move. Be even better if you could do the whole blink on the dial. O- full open, 50 closed, 100 full open again.

unreal

Noteworthy
Okay, so basically, I close the eye like I'm bending an arm, with a dial? You know, that would make a great animation for people who want to make their figures blink in one move. Be even better if you could do the whole blink on the dial. O- full open, 50 closed, 100 full open again.
You can do that with V4's facial expressions.

When I did animation (with a3, v4, cookie, star), blinking was actually a script. There's a natural blink rate so I'd just have the script calculate random blinks at the same rate (ie: time +/- some random small amount). and mix those in. A blink takes place so quickly is actually just open-closed.

Even a static face with blinks happening at natural intervals looks good. Take an animated gif, close and open eyes, have a frame with the eyes open, then at some time closed then back to open. And do that a few times at different intervals, then loop it. It's still very small as most of the image doesn't change. Only the eye area. And yet, based on the timing, it's looks disconcertingly real. The trick is to make the intervals close. So when it loops, it just seems another interval. But it's not pop..pop..pop but rather pop...pop.pop..pop

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I do rather short animations, and I prefer placing eye blinks at specific places instead of random. But when it comes to blinking with either morphs or bones, the process is the same - it's just keyframing the dial. The advantage of bones over morphs emerges when creating character head shapes that need eye blink adjustments. This is where Dawn 2 should do better than the original.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Ockham has scripts that do stuff like this. Eye blinks, breathing, and other repetitive motions. Sadly they have not been updated to work with new Python installations. I used to use the scripts and adjust the effect by hand to suit my taste.

unreal

Noteworthy
I do rather short animations, and I prefer placing eye blinks at specific places instead of random. But when it comes to blinking with either morphs or bones, the process is the same - it's just keyframing the dial. The advantage of bones over morphs emerges when creating character head shapes that need eye blink adjustments. This is where Dawn 2 should do better than the original.
Yes, absolutely. Excellent point :)

Even then, sometimes you need to adjust the facial rigging bones. I haven't found an easy way to do that in Poser. But at least you can.

With morphs, there's just the morph. Combining morphs can be problematic. There's shape + expression and there's also expression + other expression. Like a proper smile really involves the entire face. Some morph packs have those elements separated. But that's a lot of work.

Expression (ie: poses using bones) can be combined in better ways since the rig actors can have limits. For example: a smile plus an eye close will not move the eyelid more than closed, while a smile morph that has the eyes closed will not combine well with a right eye closed morph since there's nothing common. So no limit on those eyelid verts.

<Light bulb over my head... a total "aha" moment>

(how many people just flashed on that music video?)

unreal

Noteworthy
Ockham has scripts that do stuff like this. Eye blinks, breathing, and other repetitive motions. Sadly they have not been updated to work with new Python installations. I used to use the scripts and adjust the effect by hand to suit my taste.
I remember those. They're not very difficult to recreate. It'd be nice to have the source, though.

I think as I write scripts in the future I'm going to keep them in github.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
LF and LH have two kinds of eye blinks, they a basic set for just the eyes and then they have another set for more realistic eye close, side to side and up and down that also bring the eyelids into play so there is a bit more realism when creating expressions.

I think Dusk and Dawn SE has similar options and I'm sure Dusk and Dawn 2.0 will have even better options.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, my subs here are not working. I'll try unwatching and click the Watch button again. You posted this reply yesterday and I never got an email notification!

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
As Ken stated already , bone rigging don't include a delta so wink gonna works with all characters without the needs to recreate new morphs for each new face morphs (character) , for the end users there is no difference , you still dial it the same way as a standard wink morph , but technically it would be just a "pose" and it works great when making animation .

unreal

Noteworthy
LF and LH have two kinds of eye blinks, they a basic set for just the eyes and then they have another set for more realistic eye close, side to side and up and down that also bring the eyelids into play so there is a bit more realism when creating expressions.

I think Dusk and Dawn SE has similar options and I'm sure Dusk and Dawn 2.0 will have even better options.
The convenience of master parameters :)

For LF and LH eye combined movement, It combines one for upper lid, one for lower lid, then the rotation of the eye itself.

I like making expressions that way. I do a master for one side, then mirror that master to the other side, then combine the two in another master. makes asymmetric expressions easier.

One thing I noticed when sculpting the head is the need to change the face rig bone centers sometimes. And, for LF, the need to move the control "chips" so they appear on the distorted face in the correct location. I haven't found an simple way to do either. I do try to use scales as much as possible to get things in approximate positions since scaling does affect the face rig.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I think Dusk and Dawn SE has similar options and I'm sure Dusk and Dawn 2.0 will have even better options
Dawn2 have better options .
The eyes are more advanced than anything you find even in DS at this moment . Geometrically and Physically accurate for a beautiful eyes with a soul , a huge step forward . ;)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I try to use scales as much as possible to get things in approximate positions since scaling does affect the face rig.
All you need to do is adjust rigging to new shape no matter how much you deform the new morph it gonna works just perfect . Unlimited possibilities in no time .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
All you need to do is adjust rigging to new shape no matter how much you deform the new morph it gonna works just perfect . Unlimited possibilities in no time .

Indeed, I have done that multiple times in my "Body Type" series for DawnSE, where each shape was significantly different from the original, and if it has worked with the original Dawn in both Poser and DS, it should work even better with the zillion figure design improvements Dawn2 brings to the table. :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Does that mean you won't have to update your Body Types? I ask because I have a few of them. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Does that mean you won't have to update your Body Types? I ask because I have a few of them. :)

I was replying to Mec4D's comment about adjusting the rigging to the new shape. Works well on the original Dawn, and should work even better on the new one.