• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

EldritchCellar

Motivated
Looks very good. Suffers from a topology problem that all Poser figures have, especially since her breasts are so widely spaced. The long thin quads at the sternum. When you try to create cleavage morphs those types of quads tend to pinch and cause an artifact. This will be exacerbated by the wide span between both breasts that Dawn 2 is showing. It can be resolved with subdivision morphs but on lower/medium base resolution meshes it's a problem that I have yet to see be resolved in a Poser figure. Perhaps Ken1179 commented on this, he seems astute at catching topology issues, but I only went so far into the thread. Just a minor observation. Looking forward to her release :)

cleavage.png

EldritchCellar

Motivated
Edit; not used to this forum software. When I said "all" Poser figures I mean many. Like most I've worked with lately. La Femme certainly suffers from it. Casually observing Dawn 2's base shape and topology tells me it's going to be a problem. At least for me. I can't recall if V4 has this issue, it's been awhile since I've done anything but head morphs for that figure. My intent isn't to ruffle any feathers.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Edit; not used to this forum software. When I said "all" Poser figures I mean many. Like most I've worked with lately. La Femme certainly suffers from it. Casually observing Dawn 2's base shape and topology tells me it's going to be a problem. At least for me. I can't recall if V4 has this issue, it's been awhile since I've done anything but head morphs for that figure. My intent isn't to ruffle any feathers.

Just saying that I thought the same as you about Dawn2's breasts being far apart being in issue, but when I gave it a try (as shown above), there was no problem. I already made a new body shape for D2 that has the breasts together, and it seems to be fine. ^___^

EldritchCellar

Motivated
That looks good Ken1179. I'm woefully unpracticed with Dawn. It's been mostly La Femme and some lower poly Japanese figures lately. I'll see what I can do with with Dawn 2. Thanks for taking the time.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
No prob, you're very welcome! I have also tried sculpting LF's body, but had issues with the poor topology, and the low poly mesh. Can't sculpt LF unless subdivided, which was not for me. At least I tried. On the other hand, D2 has been a pleasure to sculpt at base resolution, and Mec4D has also agreed it's easier and even faster with the new topology. You will see when you give it a try. ヾ( ̄▽ ̄) /

EldritchCellar

Motivated
I will make one final comment, the rest of what I'm seeing with Dawn 2's topology looks terrific. She straddles a good line between the baked in musculature and bone structure topology of V4 and the lower poly quad grid mesh intended for subd that La Femme has. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

EldritchCellar

Motivated
I did actually have one more question regarding Dawn2. It's rather important really. Is Dawn 2 going to be stacked single tile UVs or UDIM multiple tile? Mudbox dislikes single tile UVs which makes painting and texturing there a little more tricky, which is contrary to traditional Poser figure mappings. I could use either but considering that Blender and Substance now support UDIM it's an option that might have been discussed.

Thanks

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I did actually have one more question regarding Dawn2. It's rather important really. Is Dawn 2 going to be stacked single tile UVs or UDIM multiple tile? Mudbox dislikes single tile UVs which makes painting and texturing there a little more tricky, which is contrary to traditional Poser figure mappings. I could use either but considering that Blender and Substance now support UDIM it's an option that might have been discussed.

Thanks
I don't want to drag this conversation any longer as this is not place for it but

It is UDIM,
P.S You can see the base modeling and the topology in action in my thread
: MEC4D CREATIONS FOR DAWN2

Last edited:

unreal

Noteworthy
All previews all with the base resolution smooth shaded , just go back in the thread .
I did a lot of morphs on the base resolution and it works amazing .
Those are amazing. Says a lot about the base mesh (well, that and your skill :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Whenever people ask me what's the difference with Dawn 2, I just point them to Cath's dev thread, and let the real world results speak for themselves. In my own sculpting tests with Dawn 2, I have found a more pleasant base to work with. For instance, most of my "Body Type" series required some level of JCM pose corrections at some point, but my "Athena" body sculpt required zero JCMs to pose properly on Dawn 2, and I was impressed. Never saw this in any other figure I have worked with in the last 17 years, so I guess that means something.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
JCMs are needed if the weight maps are affected or have some limitations with the new full body shape , as for example my chimps feet or hands that are very much out of original proportions , but if you sculpt very careful a body shape and guide yourself by the topology , there will be not much needs for JCMs at all . However you can create some amazing effects with JCMs so not see it as something bad .
After doing so many shapes already , I never run in issues , the topology of Dawn 2 is pretty much 100% organic .

P.S don't forget also that D2 chest is rigged , so you can move breasts in any position individually and in natural way without the needs of doing morphs. Remember Dawn 2 base is just a clean base topology for easy modeling of new shapes and not just one ride pony , so judging the base that it does not looks the way you want it to be is pointless , since it is just a smooth base a " blank canvas waiting to be painted " by the creative souls ! And those that are only interested in rendering will have beautiful characters and accessories to play with .

unreal

Noteworthy
Whenever people ask me what's the difference with Dawn 2, I just point them to Cath's dev thread, and let the real world results speak for themselves. In my own sculpting tests with Dawn 2, I have found a more pleasant base to work with. For instance, most of my "Body Type" series required some level of JCM pose corrections at some point, but my "Athena" body sculpt required zero JCMs to pose properly on Dawn 2, and I was impressed. Never saw this in any other figure I have worked with in the last 17 years, so I guess that means something.
Well.... Chris *does* have a 10th degree blackbelt in mesh-fu, no?

In any case, I would imagine he's banged his head against the wall more times than most. I'm given to understand that head-banging is somehow part and parcel to achieving that exalted rank. I'm somewhere around yellow belt. And my wall is already a shambles. I'm not sure the house can take more meshing.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I'm going to whine, now. No reason apart from lockdown boredom.

Wahhhhhhhh, I want Dawn 2!

I wanna sculpt her mesh.

that came across weirder than I intended.
I told you early to contact Chris directly to have the ability to work on some morph products if you intend and not just to play with .
Other way a little more patience is required , things moving fast behind the stage.. and busy bees running at full power to make it happen...

unreal

Noteworthy
Sorry for the whine. indeed, you did, and I did. No reply.

I'm assuming he's busy. Plus, I'm just a hobbyist consumer. Not a vendor. Not very important in the scheme of things.

I've considered "vendoring", but it seems intimidating. I've done some freebies when there's something I've made for myself and I think others might like it.

Actually, I was rather enjoying people like you posting their sculpts and such. But I get everyone being busy :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Sorry for the whine. indeed, you did, and I did. No reply.

I'm assuming he's busy. Plus, I'm just a hobbyist consumer. Not a vendor. Not very important in the scheme of things.

I've considered "vendoring", but it seems intimidating. I've done some freebies when there's something I've made for myself and I think others might like it.

Actually, I was rather enjoying people like you posting their sculpts and such. But I get everyone being busy :)
Yes everyone is right now very busy working on everything but it getting closer , I guess once Dawn 2 is ready the forums will be busy again with all new excited stuff , I am impatient for that day as much as you are .. :) but very excited ! as it coming all beautifully together ..

Right now Chris only shares pre-release files with vendors /CA that will commit to produce at least one product to support the new release.

Cath