• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've been wanting a place to ruminate, to dream, to talk about the various crazy ideas that run through my head that aren't ready for Prime Time.

To complain sometimes, to moan, to collect snippets and samples and other Odd Bits.

So, this is the place!

Sneak up to the fire, peer over my shoulder, pour yourself a glass of your favorite and feel free to raid the fridge! And if this thread ends up being in the wrong forum, I'm sure some helpful house elf will move it!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So, I've collected HiveWire Horse wish list item into one list in the past and I think I did it for Luna, too. It's a bit of effort to comb through the old files to find things, but it's kinda fun on days when the brain and body aren't working well, as organizing things is soothing for me. But, I don't know how helpful it is to folks, as most people have their own ideas of what they want to do.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So anyway! now that I have been helpfully moved! I can continue! Yay! The house elves are so amazingly wonderful here! Thank you!

I've really been thinking about the cool critters that have been showing up at Devientart for a while now. Based on Deer, Horses, wolves and Big cats, and then adding horns, wings, odd tails, everything more exaggerated and slender, and the color and patterns are amazing. I think they would be really cool additions for the HiveWire critters. Not direct copies, of course, but, inspired by.

Once the Deer and the Horn pack come out, it would be immanently possible.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well, it's looking like some more list compilations are needed for various characters. Especially with the news about the new Dawn 2.0!
I have huge wish list for a number of the animals, the characters and other stuff. I have a notebook that I keep for such things, I call it my DiVinci Book after the suggestion in the "Refuse to Choose" book. I have found that I have been miserly with it. Mostly due to the issue that people here have discussed before, and it's something you see in writer's circles, too. (Wouldn't be surprised to find it in music and other creative endeavors.) It's that I'm afraid that someone will "steal" my idea. It's more a case of someone being faster than me. Because, as I've learned in writing, 15 people can be given the same writing (or art) prompt/idea, and there will be 15 different executions of it. Then it's a matter of self confidence. Am I self-confident enough to go ahead and bring my idea to fruition, even if someone else beats me to the punch? Mine will likely be different from theirs, maybe better, maybe worse. But, having worked a couple of collaborations, I've found that even with the same starting idea, we will create in different ways.

So, I should share my ideas more, as I am a creative person and I know that I have more ideas than I will ever be able to accomplish in this life-time!

And the more skills that I gain, the better and faster I will get at creating in pixels/paper/words the things that I want to bring to life.

For example, I just did a couple of pictures of centaurs, I have a lot of other ideas about centaurs, but the morph only really works well for Poser. So, I need to learn modelling so that I can make a morph that works for DS. Or, do what I did and that is fix things in postwork, as I'm very good at that! (Lots of practice!)

I also have found that for me to be more creative, I need to be organized, and my "workspace" is not. I did, at one time have EVERYTHING in categories, neatly arranged, could find anything easy! And then I got a new computer, with different Drive letters, and so now I have to completely rebuild my categories...and I'm closing on 7K Products (might be over that counting ShareCG stuff) and that means 10's of thousands of items/groups! The task is daunting. But until I can find everything, my work flow is very slow and that is very frustrating for me.

I have begun thinking about expanding my efforts outside the kiddie pool and I have begun with HiveWire products to get them categoried, AND I have my HW personal catalog pretty much up to date, just a few new things to add! But, that said, I have found that as I've tested for people, and I create new runtimes for each product, so that they don't overlap with things I already have, that I'm getting a mess there, now! So, I need to clean that up too. But, having my catalog and having my categories, helps me to see what I'm missing for the characters, and that makes me want to create the missing things! So that is a good by-product!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well, not sure where to post this, so I'll probably cross post in my Howler thread, too.

I'm doing a webinar this Saturday, 2 March 2019, sponsored by Digital Art Live, called Tinkering with Textures. It's basically a quick and dirty way to extend your runtime resources. It is geared towards Daz Studio, although the concepts are usable in Poser. And it is going to be pointed more towards the beginner to kinda intermediate user. Basically someone who can't afford a lot of content, or want to get more uses out of they content they have, without just relying on Shaders, but are not content producers, themselves.

If you know someone who might be interested, they can register right up through Saturday!
DAZ Studio : Tinkering with Textures | Digital Art Live

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I find that I have oddly become afraid to render anything. I was really contemplating the challenge recently, but am completely blocked about it.

I've been thinking about why that might be. I don't have any problem with PD Howler and creating things, and have actually done quite a few new images. So, it's just Daz/Poser. I have made major head way with my categorizing content, and even took a webinar on it, and have more ideas on that. I have all of Genesis-Genesis8 done, and Hivewire is still up to date, even with the new Deer and some items I picked up in the Audubon sale. Most of my Lights/Preset are done. And all the Daz Animals are done.

Props and Environments? I shudder! lol. And anything Gen4 and below are untouched.

I don't have the kiddo for the rest of Spring/Summer (Except when his mom needs a break!) So, I'm hoping that will free up some time and thus some creativity.

But, the source of the Render-fear eludes me. It may just be a buckle on the big girl pants kind of thing, will have to see.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well, working in PD Howler still works for me, and I enjoy it. Have been doing some painting and a little 3D rendering in PuppyRay. I did manage to do a couple of 'simple' renders in DS. I've been going back over old tutorials that I bought, found for free, etc. Kind of starting from the basics again. I did try to put the new strand based hair on Harry. He makes a kinda cute donkey-ish critter! lol.

Currently, though I'm also trying to get back into doing my videos for my YouTube channel, I have new people joining, but no new content. Not good.

My latest ponderings, though, are about what makes an image "epic". As in Epic Fantasy or Epic Sci-Fi. I personally think that is has to do with 4 main points, when I think of artists/images that I consider "epic".

1. is the "scope of the image". The background appears vast/large, even if the hero is up close.
2. the colors tend of have a limited palette. Not monochrome usually, but very few colors, except maybe one "pop"
3. usually some kind of conflict, or preparation for conflict. But, I've seen some that were very awe-inspiring, too without battle.
4. The Hero. May be male/female/alien/animal/ship/robot, but you can tell that they are the protagonist up against this massive background happening. Of ten they seem to be smaller than what they are up against, though usually seeming at least somewhat prepared for it.

I think of Vallejo, Bell, Frazetta, Elmore, Hildebrandt, Wayin, Achilleos, and a few of the newer artists.

What do you think of when you think epic fantasy?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And Renderphobia is still in evidence, and it's moving into other areas. :( On the other hand, I'm working on health and diet and have made some major strides there. On the gripping hand, it's moving into one of the rough times of year for me (and many other folks) the holiday season. (The other time of year is June). So, in order to keep improving or at least staying in the artistic loop, I have been watching videos on Concept art.

Part of it is trying to figure out EXACTLY what concept art is, as it seems to have developed a life of it's own. In the old days...as far as I know, it's purpose was like a "sketch" for a storyboard or finished piece. Now they seems to be art pieces in and of themselves. So, very interesting. I think it's a followup to my last post with thinking about Epic images. Since most concept art does have an epic feel about it.

Still not doing any webinars, or new content for my YouTube channel. But I have been making a few brushes for PD Howler, and occasionally breaking out the FlowScape for relaxing fun.

I am staring at my unfinished products, and reminding myself that I need to finish them sometime before Armageddon... Lol.

Pastel Jungle River.jpg

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I personally don't believe in "epic" Art. Epic is an emotion, a feeling that is stirred by either looking at Art or listening to music, watching a movie or reading a book. I find it's a rush of adrenaline that is building towards a climax. That final feeling of victory when the hero wins the battle.
To create such a thing in a still image is bordering on the impossible because you would have to leave the story up to the beholder.
Are you a perfectionist? Because letting go of your own expectations and just have some fun with it would maybe release the tension a bit.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I am a perfectionist, and I do work with letting go of some of it, knowing it's not great for my emotions or stress levels, which both effect my Fibromyalgia and my Blood Sugar levels. So, I am working on that. But, it's a hard row to hoe when it's such a life long habit!

I think your take on "Epic" is interesting, I'm going to have to think about it. While I agree with parts of what you said, I feel like there is more to it...but, it's given me something else to ponder. Thank you!

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You are very welcome.
I understand where you are coming from. When I create poses I feel the the same. It has to be just right in my view and it's never good enough. So I get it. I have fibro aswell, it is a hassle but working in Poser has giving me such a relief that I hardly use any painkillers. That and meditation. I can take it except when it hits my head and/or neck. I can't tolerate pain there.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wow! I'm surprised that Poser gives you relief! I just get more twisted up! lol. It's funny how different people are with the same issues.

I think one of the things I need to do is to take some of my unfinished projects, finish them to "good enough" and release them to the wild. Then they wouldn't be in the back of my mind nagging me. Yeah....no...that's probably not going to happen! lol