• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

COF Freebie Den

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Another small update here. I set the shoes aside for a little while. My daughter did a pencil sketch tonight of an outfit design she wants me to make for her. Now, what she wants is, at the moment, definitely outside of my skill level, but I did get an initial start on it and saved it for later. There's quite a bit that I need to learn before I can do it properly. But eventually, it will be a fantasy thing for Dusk. Don't expect to see WIP's or anything of that nature; at the moment I just have the undersuit and the bracers roughed out and material zoned, and because I know it's still above my skill level, I'm not going to go showing pictures or anything, because it could easily be a few months before I'm able to complete it.

But I did get a little more work completed on the shirt that goes with this outfit for Diva. :) I now have all of the material zones laid out the way I want them. I have the turtleneck, two levels of round collars, a sort of tank top and then the top-under all mat zoned on their own. I also added one last shoulder zone to the very very top of the collars. So this thing could be anything from a turtleneck, to a t-shirt, to a sleeveless, or a tank top.

The waistband is a separate material zone, because although I will be doing adjustment morphs for these like I did with the Christmas sweater, there could easily be times where that lower band is getting in the way of something, and having it on it's own mat zone will allow people to turn it on/off as needed for layering or combination with other items.

Anyway - I think this is the final layout of the material zones now. Front and back views both...

Shirt-WIP-2.jpg

Shirt-WIP-3.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Can I make a suggestion?

The topology on the shirt, particularly for the "tank top" material zone in the front is going to rig very badly. You would be wise to "square up" that section of the shirt - remove the curves and straighten the lines.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good point Traci. I still haven't gotten my feet wet with rigging, but I can "see" how the tank top straps would lay in the front, and I can't imagine those rigging easily, or even well.

Other than that Seliah, it looks good, and look at all those material zones. :D

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Can I make a suggestion?

The topology on the shirt, particularly for the "tank top" material zone in the front is going to rig very badly. You would be wise to "square up" that section of the shirt - remove the curves and straighten the lines.

Absolutely. If I wasn't willing to accept input, I would not be posting progress images. :)

Regarding the topology - that's something I intended to do on the next run in Blender. This was just the basic roughing out of shape and zones; I plan to fix that area the next time I have the project open.

What I'm not sure about yet is the how on it; I may try deleting some of the inner edges and straightening the outer lines, and then trying to subdivide the inner areas again. Not sure yet exactly how to go about straightening out that area, but that is something I plan to do, yes. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Absolutely. If I wasn't willing to accept input, I would not be posting progress images. :)

Regarding the topology - that's something I intended to do on the next run in Blender. This was just the basic roughing out of shape and zones; I plan to fix that area the next time I have the project open.

What I'm not sure about yet is the how on it; I may try deleting some of the inner edges and straightening the outer lines, and then trying to subdivide the inner areas again. Not sure yet exactly how to go about straightening out that area, but that is something I plan to do, yes. :)

If it were me, I would delete those curved internal polys and bridge the pieces together one at a time. Then slice it to correspond to the existing lines.

Topology.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Good point Traci. I still haven't gotten my feet wet with rigging, but I can "see" how the tank top straps would lay in the front, and I can't imagine those rigging easily, or even well.

Other than that Seliah, it looks good, and look at all those material zones. :D

That part of all the Hivewire figures really rigs going toward the neck, so if your topology goes that way too, you end up with straps that don't go near the shoulder.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If it were me, I would delete those curved internal polys and bridge the pieces together one at a time. Then slice it to correspond to the existing lines.

Thanks! I will try that first when I get to the computer tonight.

That part of all the Hivewire figures really rigs going toward the neck, so if your topology goes that way too, you end up with straps that don't go near the shoulder.

That's good information. I will definitely remember that. Thank you!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And this is another thing that will be coming soon. I have to add a few more polys into the bust; the checkerboard shows a little more stretching than I care for in that area.

Oh - and the black spot is NOT actually a rogue poly; that was displacement related. These renders are just with Marieah's leatherize shaders, and having run the shirt through a cloth sim.

No, this is not the same shirt as the one I started the thread with - this is a second model I've been tweaking on every so often, and I picked it back up tonight and actually got it properly UV'd.

Dawn-Test02.png

Dawn-Test03.png

Dawn-Test04.png

Dawn-Test05.png

Dawn-Test06.png

Slight bit of poke-thru on the chest; not going to stress it because it's related to the smoothing modifier in this case. The one trim zone seems to deform a touch too much when it's run through a cloth sim... I suspect I need to go back in and do a full weld on the shirt... I think. Similar happens to the zones on the collar once it's run through a cloth sim as well.

Dawn Shirt 1 SC.jpg

This is the set up on the material zones. I did forget to lay out the final two sleeve zone trims; I'll probably do that tomorrow and re-UV the sleeves. But I'm actually pretty happy with how this is looking at the moment. I also want to get a morph into it to fit Diva as well before I go through and any other morphs.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And just a couple of tests playing around with opacity on the mat zones here. Again, these renders are just using various shaders from my content library, because I haven't conformed or rigged this yet. I almost don't want to. It looks so nice dynamic. LOL

Poser folks - If I can manage it, I'll issue a dynamic-only for you guys. I am not doing Poser rigging on this. I think dynamic would probably be easier to fit on Diva, anyway...

Dawn-Test07.png

Dawn-Test08.png

Dawn-Test09.png

I'll test it out on Diva a bit later. I managed to crash DS on this run. :) I have a couple of rough spots to iron out here, and Diva's shape to put into the mesh... but after that, I can get on with making some textures to package with it.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not so much with modeling, LOL. I'm very much still a beginner with modeling. But thanks. :)

--------------

Initial tests did not go very well on Diva with the actual cloth sim. (Not an unexpected result.)
Conforming to Dawn and then applying Diva's shape left the huge bulge in the center of the chest that I expected to see.

I've exported the resulting (not good at all) conformer-fit back out to Blender. I'll do some work in Blender to smooth out the chest and get it properly fitting to Diva's shape, and then re-import it to DS and go from there.

I am doing a quick test in the Poser cloth room with this shirt as we speak, though. I want to see if it holds up under Poser's cloth sims as well as it does under the DS cloth sims.

------------

PS - Does anyone know where there is a tut on using the morph loader in Studio? I have never used it before, and I think I am going to need it for this in order to get Diva's shape into the shirt! LOL

I could do a bunch of d-form magnet morphs for fitting it to her, but that's going to be tedious on the end user's part, is not a good solution, and d-forms often do exactly what they sound like, and deform the mesh in unsightly ways. >.< I've been trying to locate a decent step-by-step on the morph loader, and haven't found much. I need a text step by step, as videos are often times not very helpful for me.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks. :D I want to get Diva's shape into it before I release it or texture it, though. Otherwise it won't fit her very well, either as dynamic or conforming.
Understood. The Pro version of Poser has the option to "Copy Morphs Form", which is great. Not sure DS has anything like that built in, or you wouldn't have to use the Morph Loader. Hopefully, you'll get it done easily. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeeeah... the sidegrade to Pro is definitely on my "to do when the sale is good" list. LOL I am working with P11 standard, though. I suppose if I had to on the Poser side, I could use the morph brush... I mean, it's my own mesh, I wouldn't have to worry about making an INJ for the resulting morph...

I'll experiment with that on the Poser side once I've updated the mesh to fix the rough spots (and add in the two trim zones I forgot to mark). I did all those sleeve trims to enable things like stripes, as well as having a good trim for a short sleeve or three quarter sleeve, etc.

Poser Cloth Test.png

As you can see, the Poser cloth sim doesn't look as good as the DS sim does, and it really shows where the rough spots are on the mesh along the bottom/waistband. There's some of these rough spots on the neck/collar area as well.

But it's not too bad... just needs to be smoothed out in Blender. Not sure if I have to weld the mesh, or what. I don't use MD to make clothes, so it's all poly modeling. LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here we go. This is the back of the shirt - Poser cloth simulation test. This gives a really good view of where the problem areas are along the bottom of the shirt, and where the mesh is starting to break apart.

I'm actually very glad that I ran the shirt through Poser's cloth sim. The DS sim didn't show quite so many issues, and this means I can track them all down so it looks right in both softwares when rendered.

Poser Cloth Test 2.png