• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

COF Freebie Den

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I guess it's probably about time for me to start one of these. I have a couple of freebie items in the works right now. I was finally able to get the christmas sweater converted over to Dawn and Dusk recently; I just have to get them packaged up and I'll be able to release them.

@sanbie Whenever you get around to seeing this - should I be submitting the Dawn/Dusk conversions over to the site where the Genesis ones are available? Or should I just put them up on my own site?

---------------------

Also, in the last day or two, I've been playing around in Blender with a couple of basic clothing items for Diva. I think they would probably work on Dawn just fine, but I am building them around Diva's shape.

I am NOT going to do Poser rigging. Sorry, but that is way over my head, especially as I'm just now still learning how to model clothing and UVmap it as it is. I will try to maybe get a dynamic version for the Poser side, but I am not rigging for Poser.

So... at the moment, I've got the very basic shapes roughed out. I'm laying out the material zones at this stage, and then I'll move into doing the more detailed modeling.

My goal with these, is to get something that can have a myriad of uses, so that is why they have SO many different material zones. On the pants, the zipper, waistband, and each pocket are their own material zones. Likewise, you'll see that there's a lot of length options for making everything from shorts to jeans with.

Pants Front.jpg

Pants Back.jpg

Pants Right.jpg

Pants Left.jpg

A note on the material zones at the ankles - these will, in their final form, be a single mat zone, as it makes no sense to me to have the ankles each a separate zone when the rest of the leg zones cover both legs. I have the ankles separated at the moment so that I can work on them a little easier. When it's done, the ankles will be their own mat zone together, just like the rest of the leg zones are.

Shirt-WIP.jpg

And this is the start on the shirt for Diva as well. I'm still laying out material zones, but the turtleneck, waistband, and sleeve zones are finalized in terms of where they all will be. This is, again, being done with the intention to make the set as versatile as possible for people to use. Shirts especially come with all kinds of sleeve lengths and styles, so these are the basic lengths that I laid out to accommodate that and limit how much need there will be for things like opacity maps.

I have not yet begun the detail modeling; these are just the roughed out shapes. Once I have all the material zones laid out, I'll move onto the more detailed work.

And yes; these will all be freebies. They are not my primary focus at the moment, but it's something I'm working on in the background, in between my store projects. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And one other item in the mix here for Diva as well. Note, again, I'm still very much just roughing out the general shapes and material zones of things here. There's not been any actual detail-modeling done yet.

The shoes... I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep the mat zones all separate like this, or join them into being both legs (ie, one shin, one shoe, one sole, etc). For the moment, I have them separated so that I can work with them a little easier. I will probably still break up the material zones on the "socks" area as well, so you can use shorter socks or longer socks as desired also.

I'm thinking these will probably end up being like a short boot and socks, or maybe slippers and socks.. I'm not sure yet. I have never messed about with making shoes before, so I have no idea how well I'll be able to pull off shoes here. But I'm going to try for something, at least. LOL

Shoes-WIP.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking good Seliah!! As far as the socks and shoes go, I don't know if I would bother with two separate for each, as you usually have the same texture for both socks and/or both shoes. The only time that wouldn't be the case, is if you specifically wanted them to be different, as in a costume or such.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Right, that's what I'm thinking... is I will probably join the material zones on those once I'm done with modeling for that reason. It's not like jeans pockets where some girls' jeans have different fabrics applied to different pockets at times.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Looking good Seliah...those shoes are really cute!

Thanks! :) I noticed with Diva that shoes are among the toughest to fit to her... so... I decided to make a pair with this when I started working on the pants and shirt. ^_^ I have never made shoes before, so I have NO idea how well these will come out. But I am going to do my best with it! LOL

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@sanbie Whenever you get around to seeing this - should I be submitting the Dawn/Dusk conversions over to the site where the Genesis ones are available? Or should I just put them up on my own site?
Hi COF... Sorry I haven't been around...went down like a sack of potatoes!! ....Just put them up on your site sweetie...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi COF... Sorry I haven't been around...went down like a sack of potatoes!! ....Just put them up on your site sweetie...

It's totally okay! I will go ahead and upload them then. Thanks.

Are you doing alright? I've been wondering where you've been, too. Hope everything is okay.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yeah got golden staph in my leg and foot and lost all my mojo...but coming back slowly...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yikes Sanbie, that's no little thing to suffer through. Take care of yourself.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes I noticed the soles with your first screenshot. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure somebody here knows how to do that. I can't think of any Blender trick to do that, and I've never tried shoes before.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think it's a matter of having to tug at the right vertex or edges... I either need to bring the upper sole down towards the bottom, or I need to bring the bottom sole upwards, I think. I'll figure it out.

I've never tried shoes before, either. This is a first time for me also. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So... I solved the soles wibbly-wobbly state by brute force, of course. I deleted the prior soles entirely, made some new faces to close the hole, did a little bit of extruding, and then some fine tuning shaping work on some of the vertexes. :)

This is what the shoes look like now. I will probably do a little bit more shaping work on the soles, but I think these are very close to having the shape outlined.

Shoes-WIP-3.jpg

Shoes-WIP-4.jpg

Mainly, I think it's just the back/heel area of the soles that need the most work. The arches could use a little bit more fine tuning, but I'm not horrified by what's currently there, either.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Did a little more shaping work on the soles here.

Shoes-WIP5.jpg

Shoes-WIP6.jpg

It's not perfect... but I think for a first pair, it's not doing too badly, and I think the basic form is outlined at this point as well. I have some fine tuning to do on the socks (inside surface of shins), and the ruffles are something I'm playing around with - I might or might not keep them; depends on if I can make them work the way I want to.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm really liking what I see. Glad you got the soles figured out. :)