• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Childe Of Fyre Freebies

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pen,

No, I don't have any clones for them... all I can do at the moment is try to autofit with "unsupported." (And we know how that goes, eh? LOL)

I may end up scrapping it on this one for the moment. I am working on a bunch of different things at the same time here, and some of that is HW clothing items, so it's not the end of the world, I suppose. I was just trying to support as many figures as I could with it at the moment is all. :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Thank you, these will be really useful :)

Apropos of your discussion with Pen, I made a projection template for Dusk using his clothing resource base from HW.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And thanks to @skylab and @sanbie for their efforts in converting my message board dribbles to PDF and Word .doc formats, I have now gotten my website updated with two of the tutorials from the forums here. This is the first one, that covered the basics of dynamic cloth simulations using the DynCreator script.

Included is the following :
-- Converting a conforming item to dynamic cloth.
-- Converting a static prop to dynamic cloth.
-- Basic step-by-step for performing a first cloth simulation.

The tutorial is a zipped .pdf file.

Usage Rights :
-- Please don't claim the writing as your own work, and do NOT attempt to sell it. That's all I ask. :)

Dynamic Cloth in Daz Studio 4

DeviantArt :
Dynamic Cloth Basics in Daz Studio 4

ShareCG :
Dynamic Cloth Basics in Daz Studio 4

COF-DynamicClothDS4-sm.jpg

COF-DynamicCloth-MainPromo.jpg

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And this is the basic lighting tutorial from the DS software forum. Credit goes to both SkyLab and Sanbie for the help with converting to .pdf and .doc formats with this one as well. Thank you, ladies. :)

I still have to update for the posing tutorial, but I will do that later on.

Included :
-- Introduction to using the default Distant Lights in the 3Delight engine.
-- Introduction to using the default Spotlights in the 3Delight engine.

The tutorial is a zip that contains both a .pdf and a .doc format. Pick your poison. ;)

Usage Rights :
-- Please don't claim the writing as your own work, and do NOT attempt to sell it. That's all I ask.

Basic Lighting in Daz Studio 4.x

Deviant Art :

ShareCG :

COF-BasicLightsDS4-sm.jpg

COF-BasicLightsDS4-MainPromo.jpg

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Congrats on getting this one on your site too. I love this render of the different types of lights. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Congrats on getting this one on your site too. I love this render of the different types of lights. ;)

It's so hard for me to do anything that even remotely resembles a still-life render. LOL I actually *mostly* like the way this one came out, too... except for the lantern which insisted on either looking like it was floating, or else so closely sitting on the table that it wouldn't cast any shadows around itself. I've gotten to used to the ambient occlusion in things like AOA and UE2 lights. :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I hadn't even noticed that, especially since everything else is casting a shadow. Even so, I like the way it came out. ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've had that happen. And the kind of glitch where it casts a shadow, but not a complete one. Just a ring of shadow that clearly doesn't quite touch the object. Nothing you can do but adjust and re=render, because somehow it's a knock-down, drag-out fight to fix it in post.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've had that happen. And the kind of glitch where it casts a shadow, but not a complete one. Just a ring of shadow that clearly doesn't quite touch the object. Nothing you can do but adjust and re=render, because somehow it's a knock-down, drag-out fight to fix it in post.

Yep. If it were a serious render for posting to a gallery as an art piece, you can bet I would have kept re-rendering over and over. But for just a quickie picture to post the tutorial, I really wasn't too worried about it. It is quite annoying, though, when it happens.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I flail at lighting. But I'm getting better at it.

I tend to try to find a good prefab light set and then add whatever accent lights I want to affect things (usually linear point lights or a spotlight outside the window). Right now I'm using Khory's Caressed by Light package. They give a rather "grainy" texture to things, which makes me wonder whether they are actually Iray lights (although it doesn't say so). But I like the rather vintage look that gives things for the project I'm working with now. And one of the things I like the best about them is that you can swap them out and they don't wipe out your accent lights, which applying most packaged lights seems to do.

And you can always adjust the intensity of both the lights and the environment if you want to change the amount of light.

The down side is that you can't actually *see* the amount of light you've got in the viewport. So you are always doing spot renders to check whethere a part of the scene is getting lit adequately.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Does that package use AOA's lights? I don't have it; I don't ever buy or download prefab lights as I just always set up my own rigs in Studio. Poser lighting, oh yeah I snap up every freebie prefab set I can find because I'm SO dang horrible at it. But DS lights are in that category of "Sheesh, I can do this myself... next!" LOL

If the package uses AOA's lights (Advanced Ambient), those can sometimes give a grainy effect to a render. Best way to combat it in the case of the AOA lights is to reduce the "Shadow Softness" which is found on the AOA Advanced Distant Lights, and AOA Advanced Spotlights.

I noticed a while ago that UE2 lights seem to render a lot cleaner as far as grain, though they take much longer to render than the AOA's do.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
No idea. There doesn't seem to be any shadow softness setting in 4.8. Only shadow bias (which I have no idea what it is) and shadow intensity. But there are no ambient lights in any of the sets in this package. Only an uberEnvironment+sphere, a front light, and usually either 1 or 2 back lights (which are spots, not distants). I would expect that they are designed for portraits, but I'm using them for scenes.