• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Change of Spending Habits

Hornet3d

Wise
So a couple of out outings planned for the run up to the holiday had to be cancelled as we both have bad colds. Stuck indoors i had to find something to console myself so the KitBash Victorian Kit joins the collection.

This is the Cathedral.

VIC Cathedral.jpg

As usual the Poser figure is added for scale, just about visible at the bottom right of the building.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK Try this

OK here is the process I have cobbled together to get the kitBash kits to work in Poser.

I download three folders from my account at Kitbash selecting Blender as the software, Render Engine as Native and 4K as the resolution and the download preferences as Files and textures. I use the same options again except I use 2K as the resolution and chose textures only. This results in three downloads for example the Highways kit will download three zips,

kb3d_highways.blender.native

kb3d_highways.png.2k

kb3d_highways.png.4k

I unzip these downloads to a folder I have called kitBash with a sub folder, in this case called Highways. To get started I launch Blender and open the file called kb3d_highways-native that is in the relevant folder. This will launch the kit with every prop contained in the kit normally with three rows of large buildings and, at the front, another two or three rows of the smaller items I call props. All of the items will be a ghostly white colour as there are no materials assigned. I then use the find missing files option found under File – External Data, which will open a new screen so that you can point the system to where the missing files are stored. I point it at the 4K pgn folder that was downloaded but you could use the 2K folder if you intend to use 2K. This will result in a very long list of files, you select the Blue highlighted button ‘find missing files’. Nothing appears to happen but if you select the third circle in the top right hand corner of the view screen which is the viewport shading Material Preview (the name is displayed if you hover over the circle) it will show how many shaders Blender is compiling. When complete the kit contents will show some subdued but definite colours. As this takes quite some time I save this this file back in the blender.native folder with the a marker so in this case it would be kb3d_highways-native WS, the WS highlighting that the file is now with shaders.

Next comes the export phase, so I select the each building in turn by dragging a selection box around the building in question so that all of the parts will have an orange surround. I make sure that no buildings, or part thereof, close by are also selected and then right click and select Copy Objects. I want to separate the building out so I click File – New - General at the top of the viewport. Blender prompts to save changes and I select don’t save. A new Blender window opens with the default cube which I delete. Then I right click and chose Paste Objects, right click again and choose ‘Snap to Cursor’ and all the objects appear in the centre of the viewpoint. Once again I select the Material Preview for the viewpoint and the building takes colour. Now under the main file option I select Export and Wavefront.object which opens a save screen. I name it using the KitBash name that is displayed in the Scene Collection box in the top right hand box and save it back in a folder in the Highways folder I created. Blender will create the Wavefront.Obj file but will also create an .mtl file with the same name so that the materials will be imported into Poser. That is the end of the use of Blender.

In Poser I select import and then Wavefront.Obj and leave the ‘Centered’ and ‘Make Polygone Normals Consistent’ checked and set the scale to 40%. Selecting OK starts it but part way through the process it will stop and request the location of a particular file, in particular a ‘normals’ file. This file can be found in either the 2K or 4K download, I usually use the 4K. The normals are easy to find as they are bright blue, select the file and a few moments later a basic coloured building will appear in Poser.

By basic I mean with material will only have the Colour and Bump maps assigned. I only use Superfly these days so for each material I add and PhysicalSurface Node and create image maps for Roughness, Metallic and Normal and plug them into the Physical surface node. Some materials will also need Transparent and Emission maps. I then build the material by adding the relevant maps from the 4k texture folder and, when complete save that material in Poser. In this case I will have added a Folder called Highways to my KitBash folder so I add it to that. I build each material in this manner often using copy and replace on similar materials to speed up the process. The first building takes and age but each subsequent building is faster as all you have to do is assign the materials already created only creating anything not already existing.

The whole process sounds more complicated than it is and I think I can convert the major buildings of a kit in a couple of days taking a few hours each day. The props are essentially the same process and the materials already exist but I find it difficult to keep track. The only difference I do is I select and copy all of the smaller props and create a Props WS files. Using that file I select each prop and copy but then delete the prop in question. When I do the File – New – General I tell blender to save so that when I reopen the file any props already converted will have been removed from the file.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Hmmmm...
Hmmmm...
Ummmhmmm....
yeah.....
Give me some time to familiarize with Blender interface, I might be able to speed things up for both of us.
  • Lightwave and Carara Both have an Option to Export Selected or save selected. I am going to believe Blender has something Similar.
  • I am planning to work from OBJ+Text which can simplify format conversion and may make pointing to the textures unescessary until the Poser steps.
  • Poser can recenter an OBJ on import - if you do not need to do a lot of rescaling on import then resetting an OBJ to world center should be all that is needed on import then resave to OBJ once all mats set up.
I will take a crack at a building later tonight to see how it goes.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hmmmm...
Hmmmm...
Ummmhmmm....
yeah.....
Give me some time to familiarize with Blender interface, I might be able to speed things up for both of us.
  • Lightwave and Carara Both have an Option to Export Selected or save selected. I am going to believe Blender has something Similar.
  • I am planning to work from OBJ+Text which can simplify format conversion and may make pointing to the textures unescessary until the Poser steps.
  • Poser can recenter an OBJ on import - if you do not need to do a lot of rescaling on import then resetting an OBJ to world center should be all that is needed on import then resave to OBJ once all mats set up.
I will take a crack at a building later tonight to see how it goes.
Good Luck.

Hornet3d

Wise
My mammoth task is now coming to an end as I have now exported all of the content of the 12 kits that I own. Ten of those kits have Poser materials assigned to both the buildings and the props. The last two just need to be imported and have the Poser materials attached and saved and so, with a few weeks to go, looks as though I am going to reach my target having it all done by end of the year. All being well that gives me loads to play with in 2024.