• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Change of Spending Habits

Hornet3d

Wise
With so many marketplaces having closed over the years, with a few notable exceptions, I am not really finding enough content to keep expanding my use of Poser. For a while now I have been looking for ways to correct this and I have decided to change where I spend the majority of the Poser money. Over the last few months I have started to pick up some of the Kitbash kits as they come come on sale. The downside is they are expensive and not built directly for Poser, on the other hand there is a great deal in each of the kits so that, after the initial outlay the price the cost per each item is much the same as it would be buying the individual items in the marketplaces that still exist, assuming such quality content was available.

From having no kits at the start of the year I now own 7 complete kits that are in varying degrees of readiness for use in Poser.

Castle Keep HW.jpg

Furniture Store HW.jpg

Here are two examples from my latest purchases, at the top is the Castle Keep from the Enchanted kit and below is the Furniture Store from the Atom Punk Kit.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The store is very interesting, but I also like Medieval Castles, and I'm going to guess it's one of Vanishing Point's goodies. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
All the kits can be seen at KitBash3D - Premium 3D Assets for Video Games, Film, and Television the downside is that the individual buildings cannot be purchased and are only available as part of a kit. The kits are generally priced at $199 but often have a selected kit at 50% off. For example the the Castle Keep comes from the Enchanted kit which is on sale at the moment for $99.50 for which you get 129 models and 147 PBR materials, in both 2K and 4K versions. Of the 129 models 21 are a selection of small, medium and large buildings, the Castel Keep is one of the large buildings, the rest of the models are various small items such as trees barrels and other ancillary items.

The kits are available for a variety of 3D software but sadly Poser is not one of them, I download the Blender version, import as a waveform object at 40% and convert to Poser from there using the Kitbash materials as a base.

Engine Service HW.jpg

Here I have used the engine rig from the Kitbash collection Secret Lab. The room, Dawn and outfit are all from my existing Poser runtimes.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Like I mentioned before; the free kits are an awesome introduction to Kit Bash. Play with them a bit and you will find that forking out for a full kit is money very well spent.

Miss B there are no DS/Poser people involved in creating these assets. They are actually made for movie production.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They are very nice, but right now... too far out of my price range.

English Bob

Adventurous
I know the feeling! I got a Kitbash3D set during lockdown when they gave one away free, but have to admit I haven't got around to using it yet. There always seems to be some snag or other lying in wait for people who want to transfer assets from the larger 3D world into Poser, so I sometimes have to weigh up whether the potential effort is going to be worthwhile. The first thing I'd have to do is get to grips with enough of Blender to split the kit up into its constituent parts.

I recently saw this script which is designed to automate the export of Blender models into Poser, and I mean to give it a try since I'm definitely still at the blundering noob stage with Blender. :) Artstation: Blender to Poser automatic converter Python script

I've found some good free stuff on Sketchfab: the 3D scanned scenes can be good for background use if your machine can handle the poly-count, which is usually high, and there's useful architecture and vehicles to be found in Blender format. This user has some good UK outline trains, to pick an example that I've actually used.

Hornet3d

Wise
I know the feeling! I got a Kitbash3D set during lockdown when they gave one away free, but have to admit I haven't got around to using it yet. There always seems to be some snag or other lying in wait for people who want to transfer assets from the larger 3D world into Poser, so I sometimes have to weigh up whether the potential effort is going to be worthwhile. The first thing I'd have to do is get to grips with enough of Blender to split the kit up into its constituent parts.

I recently saw this script which is designed to automate the export of Blender models into Poser, and I mean to give it a try since I'm definitely still at the blundering noob stage with Blender. :) Artstation: Blender to Poser automatic converter Python script

I've found some good free stuff on Sketchfab: the 3D scanned scenes can be good for background use if your machine can handle the poly-count, which is usually high, and there's useful architecture and vehicles to be found in Blender format. This user has some good UK outline trains, to pick an example that I've actually used.
It was Parkdalegardener that first pointed me towards Kitbash and the Mission to Minerva kit that was free at that time and I liked it so much I have purchased more as they have been on a 50% sale.

The procedure I use now is to take each individual item in turn from the main collection, after using the find missing files command. I then export the item as a Wavefront object and import the object into Poser. The materials come with the import but in most cases it ends up with only the color material plugged in along with bump map, which is actually a normal map, plugged into bump. As a minimum I then create a Physical Node and connect the color and the bump map into the normal ports. I then add a roughness and material map and save the material in other materials I add opacity and emissive maps as well when required. Using this method it takes me the bast part of a day to finish one building but after that it becomes quicker as you reuse the existing materials and only add those not used in the first building.

There may well be a better method as I am no expert and developed this method by trial and error, that said I am happy with the results it produces.

Botanical Visit HW.jpg

The Botanical Gardens from the Oasis kit. If your eyesight is good you can see Dawn almost dead centre, walking toward the zone, which gives a good idea of the size of the building.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Miss B there are no DS/Poser people involved in creating these assets. They are actually made for movie production.
Ahhh, thanks for that update PDG, because other than the free KitOps goodies I first downloaded back in December 2021, presented by a guy named Chip Walters while I was still playing in Blender 2.79, I never really got to play with them, but now I'm thinking of doing it so I can see what they're all about.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I, too, have a few Kitbash sets and am looking at a few more - though I haven't used any of them yet. I dread the effort of trying to convert them over to poser (scaling, materials, etc...) - plus I have a lot of Poser content uninstalled yet. At this point I am more worried about sets, locations, and vehicles than figures and clothing. I wouldn't mind having more outfits for Dusk and Dawn for use in Kitbashing, but I have lots for the Gen 4s. I have a fair bit for Gen 3s (missed out on a lot of items I would have loved to have though, but can still do quite a bit with what I have). Figure wise, it is really only very cool animals or creatures that would attract me now... I am also kitbashing a lot of sci-fi stuff from the Davorama kits as can be seen in my various projects.
@Hornet3d have you considered putting together tutorials for converting those kitbash sets over for use in poser? I am sure some in the community would find them useful ;);):nudge:nudge:

Hornet3d

Wise
I, too, have a few Kitbash sets and am looking at a few more - though I haven't used any of them yet. I dread the effort of trying to convert them over to poser (scaling, materials, etc...) - plus I have a lot of Poser content uninstalled yet. At this point I am more worried about sets, locations, and vehicles than figures and clothing. I wouldn't mind having more outfits for Dusk and Dawn for use in Kitbashing, but I have lots for the Gen 4s. I have a fair bit for Gen 3s (missed out on a lot of items I would have loved to have though, but can still do quite a bit with what I have). Figure wise, it is really only very cool animals or creatures that would attract me now... I am also kitbashing a lot of sci-fi stuff from the Davorama kits as can be seen in my various projects.
@Hornet3d have you considered putting together tutorials for converting those kitbash sets over for use in poser? I am sure some in the community would find them useful ;);):nudge:nudge:

I have to admit the idea of producing a tutorial has never really been something I have considered mainly because I don't think what I do is particularly clever and suspect there is a better method. I base this on the fact I am certainly no expert and there are many users that would be far more skilled than me in both Poser and Blender. On the other hand I do understand that to be suddenly presented with over one hundred items in a single Blender scene is more than a little overwhelming but then it is aimed at TV and Game producers rather than the individual hobbyist who is most likely working alone rather than be in a team.

These days what I do tend to do is break down whole scene into smaller parts and more recently to be a little selective. With the Mission to MinervaI converted everything which was 60 models using 63 PBR materials, I did the same with Secret Labs which was 194 models using 44 PBR materials. My next kit was High Tech Streets consisting of 82 models using 16 PBR materials and, rather than do everything at once I concentrated on the small, medium and large buildings bringing the count down to a more manageable 20 but that still included items like a control tower, monorail and station, and various road sections. If I want to use any of the rest of the kit I do the conversion at the point of use and it is quite quick as all the materials will exist in Poser at that point and just need to be applied.

I think I should also add a few other aspects at this point, firstly, as these were not aimed at Poser the buildings are static, so now opening doors and the like. On the other hand the buildings can hold other aspects that can be a surprised as some have some detailed interiors.

Community Centre Visit HW.jpg

The inside of a community centre which comes fully furnished. I only render in Superfly these days so the lighting of the table and chairs is achieved using the materials provided to include the emissive nodes.

Sci Fi Lab II HW.jpg

The addon items can always be used in buildings that are created for Poser from other sources and vendors. Here many items from the Secret Lab are used to populate a warehouse like structure from my existing runtime.

Going back to the idea of creating a tutorial, I am happy to put in the effort if others think it is useful although I suspect there will be limited interest as the kits are costly and they cannot be regarded as Poser mainstream. On the other hand they do provide buildings that are just not available elsewhere and not only sci related, some of the Steampunk and Medieval kits are just as stunning as their Sci-Fi and futurist counter parts.

DanaTA

Distinguished
There is a Blender Bridge for DAZ Studio. I haven't tried it, so can't say how useful it is.

Hornet3d

Wise
There is a Blender Bridge for DAZ Studio. I haven't tried it, so can't say how useful it is.
That could save some time and effort if it worked but it is still one Blender file with all the models in one scene which would still mean there was work to be done.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just to be clear, all the kits I have have one download called something like kb3d_enchanted.blender.native and then a textures 2K and textures 4K download. If you open kb3d_enchanted.blender.native in Blender this is the result.

Package HW.jpg

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I have been downloading the FBX/OBJ natives as I have used OBJ before and I know OBJ can import readily into Poser (with the right settings and scale adjustment). I was not aware that all of the components loaded in at once, that could be troublesome. I have limited experience with setting up moveable parts and props and eliminating groups from OBJs directly in Poser, but have not done it in almost a decade. I have set up geometry stripped props, morph targets, and other OBJ mods in poser, but that too, I have not done in many years. It sounds like I will need a program that handles OBJ to split these up, I am completely unfamiliar with Blender, and unfortunately Importing and Exporting OBJ through Lightwave often strips grouping data and materials (which needless to say is unacceptable).

Some of these I only really need for large backdrops, but I still want to be able to place the pieces as I want individually. I like to kitbash my cities and landscapes.

Yeah, having a team would be great...but that takes resources and money. Having money would be great too.

English Bob

Adventurous
Kitbash3D now offer an asset browser named Cargo, which I understand allows you to download the individual parts of a set directly - no big downloads, and no splitting up required. The downside for me is that it requires Internet access, and my graphics machine is offline except for a few seconds whenever I need to renew my Poser licence. :rolleyes: Those of you who are running up-to-date operating systems might find it useful though. I might see if it will work on Linux under Wine.

Actually the main reason I haven't delved into the Kitbash3D sets in any detail is that they don't align with what I'm working on at the moment (which is UK based, present day or thereabouts). I have the KB3D Post-Apocalyptic Mini-Kit and the Utopia kit, so I probably won't look at them in depth until I start a sci-fi saga. :)

If you have UVMapper Pro, I find that very useful for quick 'n' dirty mesh splitting. You can select by material, group or just lasso stuff in the viewport and delete it - and you can rely on UVMP preserving your model's attributes, at least from a Poser perspective.

Hornet3d

Wise
Kitbash3D now offer an asset browser named Cargo, which I understand allows you to download the individual parts of a set directly - no big downloads, and no splitting up required. The downside for me is that it requires Internet access, and my graphics machine is offline except for a few seconds whenever I need to renew my Poser licence. :rolleyes: Those of you who are running up-to-date operating systems might find it useful though. I might see if it will work on Linux under Wine.

Actually the main reason I haven't delved into the Kitbash3D sets in any detail is that they don't align with what I'm working on at the moment (which is UK based, present day or thereabouts). I have the KB3D Post-Apocalyptic Mini-Kit and the Utopia kit, so I probably won't look at them in depth until I start a sci-fi saga. :)

If you have UVMapper Pro, I find that very useful for quick 'n' dirty mesh splitting. You can select by material, group or just lasso stuff in the viewport and delete it - and you can rely on UVMP preserving your model's attributes, at least from a Poser perspective.

Cargo does give you access to some extra content and also access to the kits you have purchased but for access the full library you need CargoPro at $119 a month although it is discounted to $780 if you pay annually. The individual downloads would be good for supported software but I am not sure where I stand as I use Poser.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have been downloading the FBX/OBJ natives as I have used OBJ before and I know OBJ can import readily into Poser (with the right settings and scale adjustment). I was not aware that all of the components loaded in at once, that could be troublesome. I have limited experience with setting up moveable parts and props and eliminating groups from OBJs directly in Poser, but have not done it in almost a decade. I have set up geometry stripped props, morph targets, and other OBJ mods in poser, but that too, I have not done in many years. It sounds like I will need a program that handles OBJ to split these up, I am completely unfamiliar with Blender, and unfortunately Importing and Exporting OBJ through Lightwave often strips grouping data and materials (which needless to say is unacceptable).

Some of these I only really need for large backdrops, but I still want to be able to place the pieces as I want individually. I like to kitbash my cities and landscapes.

Yeah, having a team would be great...but that takes resources and money. Having money would be great too.

I download the Blender version and launch in Blender I then select each model using the right click and rubber band method and copy objects. I then launch a second Blender window and do right click and paste objects. The next stage depends on whether I have performed a 'find lost files' (file menu, external data) and pointed it towards either the 2K texture or 4K texture on a global basis. These days I do it on the individual models as it appears quicker. Either way the end result is a model with all the textures included. I then export the model as a wavefront object and Blender creates two files, one .obj and the other .mtl.

In Poser, I import the wavefront.obj file at 40% (nothing scientific here, the first one I imported at 100% and then dropped the scale until my Dawn Character could walk through the doors without stooping or banging her head). 40% gave me what I wanted so that is the figure I use. At one point in the process Poser will asks to locate a file so I point at the requested file either in the 2K textures of the 4K textures. The model comes in textured with the exception of where transparency is used such as glass or water. The model with then preview correctly but only color and bump are used in each texture so it will not render very well. I then work through the materials adding transparency, roughness, metallic and emissions as needed. I save each material in Poser so that it only needs to be done once. Subsequence models using the same texture just have the now existing texture applied.

Hornet3d

Wise
Manor HW.jpg

Wizard Tower HW.jpg

The Manor and the Wizard Tower now converted for Poser. The water in around the Wizard Tower will need to be replaced with whatever water plane I use for any scene so I have just not bothered to much in the conversion.