• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Can you guess what it is yet ? :)

Wizzard

Brilliant
The differance twixt 14 guage steele and heavy plastic I guess. I was thinking, mechanic sled, toolchest, hospital bed, many uses, gymbal for a MKIII Pulse cannon. 8 )

well if you don't need the wheels ...I can do you a rocket sled...(way back in the early days of my modelling).. :)
Rocket Sled - Poser - ShareCG

sled.jpg

Wizzard

Brilliant
I have this, from my earlier days of yelling at Poser to do what I wanted. 8 )
Still doesn't listen, but comes a lot closer than before.
You're my #1 prop and background guy. Still have the Coal Hill set, great for Daleks.
As well as vehicles, humourous robots etc. For which, thankye muchly.
Somewhere, I have an image of this sled argueing with a diesal engine at a cliff side, err, sled was in trouble.
8 )
Cheers

DanaTA

Distinguished
Just checked, I have that Rocket Sled in my downloads. It was downloaded in 2008. I have a huge downloads folder...organized by website, and within that by type of product. Top level folders just under Downloads are Free Stuff and Paid. I save promo images in the folders whenever I can. Sometimes there are none. And I didn't do that at the very beginning. I have way more than I'll probably ever use, but things are there "just in case" I find a need or idea for them.

Dana

Thanks - it's always great to know that you folks enjoy the crazy stuff that escapes from what passes as a brain.
Guess from Wizzard's comment that Poser has wormed it's wierd ways into the humans as well ;)

And Dana yea I know that feeling well when looking for stuff, everything 3d is stored on (allegedy) mirrored external drives.
AKA many hours spent swearing while looking for that elusive freebie. Which was why a while back I started including a "sample" image inside most of my own freebie zipfiles, just so I have idea of what that it is. Yea it's not in all of them, but in enough to help.

and as it's been a few days ...here's an incredibly boring update. Another hose holder for beside the 2nd building door. Plus the concrete plinth with what looks cut up railway track to stop vehicles from hitting the tanks. Obviously needs some proper textures.

boringbits.jpg

It's also something that can be literally done in hours.

The body is from the game Spore.
Something you can pick up dirt cheap from most 2nd hand game shops, often for pence/cents.
Think I paid under £5 for the core game and the creature creator and 50p for extra creatures.

You'll also need a particular patch and I won't deny this lot can be fiddly to install.
But if you persevere (theres loads of tutorials etc online which can help) you'll be able to enable a "cheat" console.
One that allows you to export to .dae with .tga textures.

A .dae that can be easily be converted to .obj using free online services.
So you can 3d print this or use it as a poser model.
Though the textures are only 512x512, so if using in poser etc, you'll need to make some new ones.

The best way to do this is with something that can paint textures on a mesh.
Obviously theres cool stuff like Blacksmith3D (maybe Blender?) or if you're really rich... Zbrush.
But theres also Zbrush's (free) baby bro... Sculptris.

However Sculptris is funny about what it'll import.
Often it'll throw up an error about meshses having more than X verts.
Though there's a very simple..and also free solution to that.. MeshMixer.

Meshmixer, as the name suggests, mixes up meshes.
Such as in this model, I've used a .STL head model from Thingverse (Creative Commons as well) and the Spore body.
Though the important thing is MeshMixer exports to an .OBJ that sculptris will usually accept.

Then once your in sculptris, you can add smooth out any poor connections between the 2 parts.
Add some subdivision, add some lumps and bumps etc, or resize areas.
And yea I know the hands are too big on this one :)

After that you can enable Sculptris's paint mode and texture paint it.
Maximum texture export size allowed is 2048x2048, but that's good enough.
Just remember to keep saving as Sculptris can be buggy, plus once you enter paint mode, you can't return to the sculpting mode.

Enjoy :)