• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Building my portfolio

Banditcameraman

Enthusiast
@Szark been around for D|S for ages and I'm pretty sure he wasn't bashing anyone :)

When it comes to assets they tend to look perfect, which is what people expect ;) Some content creators/artists move beyond that and go for, maybe not photorealism, but a state of "perfect imperfection" :giggle: The leaves and branches from the Stonemason set are a pretty good example (and at the risk of ticking off Szark the hawk's legs could be a little more glossy translucent, but that's just me :roflmao: )

At the risk of derailing the thread, I take the same perfectly imperfect orientation with human skin, which I've spent the last 3 years trying to get my head around in Reality. One of my mates put it best when he said: Women spend hundreds of dollars so they can look perfect and we spend hundreds of hours trying to make our characters look imperfect :laugh:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program... :whistling:

Dan30

Adventurous
Szark,

I could not be more in tune with you about details. I am detail oriented myself. I actually think that even the tiniest detail counts when it comes to create a believable image.
Need to trick the brain!:laugh: And I did not take your comments as bashing, far from it. That's why we show our work and share our thoughts about it here.
So rest assured, we're kool!:balloon02:

Szark

Awesome
sweet, just making sure Dan. ;)

Yeah detail depends a lot on what type image it is, some say the devil is in the detail and some artists leave out detail, Impressionists comes to mind. For me doing realistic images is a challenge and that is why I like doing them, though I do enjoy doing more arty stuff I just don't have the time and skill set these days.

LOL the Hawk's legs Banditcameraman is was a quickie and no I don't get ticked off when folks try to help me. :p

oh and don't get me started on symmetrical human features. This is why I still use Genesis and whatits name Tie Dying Morphs for Genesis which adds some asymmetrical detail morphs. But truth be told I can't be bothered with doing human renders anymore. I did want to do a better one in Iray than I did in Poser 8 5 years ago. Smoke the only postwork and took me 3 months to learn how to use Poser and to adjust maps. But the cost of doing so for one image in Iray, well need I say more.

Dan30

Adventurous
Szark,
Kind of old to be still working, your man!:roflmao:
Joke aside, great looking portrait. Speaking about details, I cannot help bringing in the topic of "detail consistency". Something I noticed being a drawback for users like us, using a conglomerate of models from various sources and trying to put them together in a scene. This mix and match I think was, and unfortunately still is quite a challenge, exactly because of the mismatch in detail consistency. And in my opinion, this is what is ruining most of the time an otherwise great render.
To be more specific, the paper thin shirt of your character and even his hat and the lack of detail, which in some models is just texture, are ruining the realism of the image. AND IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT! This is just how the model is built. With haste.
Close-ups, in this respect I found to be the hardest to pull off. Makes me even more determined to attempt to venture in the realm of product creators and see what I can come up with.

Szark

Awesome
Hit the nail on the head, paper thin shirt and lack of detail in the hat. Years later I know how to deal with that either via Blender or displacement mapping. Even for 3DL renders it would be nice to have the detail.

I have been messing with surfaces and maps since I first got DS2. From my very first render to my last.

This image got me thinking I need to learn how to add weight mapping in DS to restrict texture stretch

there is a bit of stretching on the lizard neck, not bad but still noticeable by me. LOL

Dan30

Adventurous
Szark,
I wish I were able to give more than one like for that lizard image! That really emulates a photograph in the best way possible. And great looking lizard model. Busy bees here at the Hive really know what they are doing!;)
Was planning to get that lizard family. Sorry I missed it when it was on sale.

Szark

Awesome
Szark,
I wish I were able to give more than one like for that lizard image! That really emulates a photograph in the best way possible. And great looking lizard model. Busy bees here at the Hive really know what they are doing!;)
Was planning to get that lizard family. Sorry I missed it when it was on sale.

Thanks yeah great Lizard. Something I have wanted for a number of years now.

Been watching this: Twitch Inspirational.
Thanks that is a really interesting site.

Dan30

Adventurous
I'm working on a surprise image...Tweaking the surfaces and making the final adjustments. I will post it soon in the house cat thread.;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
First...amazing renders Dan...you and Szark are both so good at putting together a scene and ensuring that the details are all correct. I wish I had more time to spend on perfecting my renders but frequently feel I don't have to time to explore improving them as far as I would like.

I hadn't realised that Howie had released one for DS...I've been blown away by his stuff for Carrara in the past. I was really pleased to pick up the Fern Lake and through the woods by Stonemason at such good prices recently. His stuff just keeps getting better and better.

I spent as much time as possible watching the zbrush summit but I'm glad that they release the videos as I missed so much of it this year. Last year I was inseparable from my computer while it was on but this year my Dad had is 87th birthday on that weekend so missed lots. thanks for the link to twitch...

Dan30

Adventurous
Pendraia,
you are more than welcome and thanks a lot for appreciating my work. Feels very good in this wonderful community!:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Seriously yummy and lovely work Dan! Szark is always an inspiration as well! I so need to find some time to get back to doing some personal artwork- you both are getting me inspired to squeeze in some time to do that!

Dan30

Adventurous
CWRW,
Alas, time is the one ingredient we are always short of, in art matters... and other things. But, as long as we are aspiring to do better, we find a way.:)
I confess the first time I saw your horses and the mane and tail brushes, I was blown away! I don't think anybody can top that!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
CWRW,
Alas, time is the one ingredient we are always short of, in art matters... and other things. But, as long as we are aspiring to do better, we find a way.:)
I confess the first time I saw your horses and the mane and tail brushes, I was blown away! I don't think anybody can top that!

Thanks Dan!! I am sure I will find some time to get some artwork done, def more time coming this winter. Right now my small spare time in devoted to working with my horse before winter hits:) He's been making a lot of progress on his Spanish Walk and Jambette lately which is very exciting for me!