• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blowing raspberries...

McGyver

Energetic
No, that's not a euphemism for something kinky... It's that farty sound one makes when they stick their tongue out in disapproval of something... In NY we call it a "Bonx cheer"... I don't know if that's because in the old days people from the Bronx were very flatulent* or disapproving.

How do you spell it, and what in your corner of the world do you call it?

I feel it sounds like Phtwbpfbtfbtwbphtwbt... But that might be too long and drooly sounding...
I usually go with the classic Bill The Cat (from the old "Bloom County" comic) spelling of "THBBFT!"
I believe that is also how Shakespeare spelled it.
Howard Shakespeare... He was the crazy hot dog guy I used to buy really stale hot dogs from in Brooklyn back when I used to end up there a lot...
Never buy hot dogs from a guy who makes that sound a lot.
It's not hygienic.
Regardless of that, I thought I would ask this...
One- Because I'm bored and annoyed with the world.
Two- This has the potential to be an amusing topic and I think historically speaking the world has become a lot more anti-amusing lately.
Four- I couldn't think of three so I gave it a miss and went straight to four which I don't really have anything for either, so...
Five- Why the hell not?
I just spent an hour in the car listening to the news and between the latest purported Godzilla attack on Sweden and other mind numbing nonsense, I'm stuck in a perpetual state of "THBBFTBBFTBBFT!" to everything...
So...
What do you call it and how do you spell it?
Feel free to advise, instruct, elaborate on and or add drawings and diagrams...
Aloha.

image.jpg

*That's another Apple kill list word... ones Apple has programmed spell check not learn... Along with cannibalism, virginity, bullet, suicide and drunkard, to name a few. It makes it very hard to write a story about a gassy virgin alcoholic cannibal reading about kamikaze pilots while on a bullet train.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I spell it "plbbbbt" and it is called a raspberry here in my area of the world.
Of course when someone blows one at me I always ask if they have a towel to go with it...lol.
Or sometimes, depending on my mood, thank them for the shower or threaten to smack them with a fist.
Of course when I was younger they took my threat to heart, now they just raise and eyebrow at me and laugh...sigh.
And I've been known to blow a raspberry or two at someone, I mean, hey I gotta have some fun too. :)

BlowRaspberry.jpeg

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I don't think we have a specific name for it here in the UK due to the governments insistance on taxing everything they can't ban outright. However, I remain undaunted and carried out the following experiment in the comfort of my own armchair.....I performed five 'raspberries' which produced (on average) a phonetic spelling of 'PHIPPPSSSSTZZZZZ'. I am I point out an Englishman of honorable lineage and thus repeated the experiment using my 5-year-old grandaughter as test subject and produced a sort of 'PPHHHWAARP...FIPFT'. I am led to conclude the following preliminary points:

1. There appears to be variations depending on age, gender and nationality. (N. B. My grandaughter is of Canadian origins!)
2. Carrying out the said action produces excess drool in the chin area!
3. Ditto McGyver!
4. Ditto 3!
5. Tests on mother of gd were inconclusive and resulted in a distinct 'BOGOFF' vocalisation from same!

Further experiment is needed and I have elected to carry out further tests on randomly selected members of the public*

* Dependant on choosing a yet to be determined 'safe distance'!

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Geeze McG, I haven't heard the term Bronx Cheer in ages. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't usually give anyone The Raspberry in person, but I've been known to do it now and then online.

:p~~~~~~~~~~ OK, that's not showing up correctly. It's supposed to be : P ~~~~~~~~~~ without the spaces. Silly forum software smilies.

McGyver

Energetic
@Mythocentric...
I didn't realize the Rude Sound Tax had passed... Well, I suppose as long as one keeps it off the books, the authorities can't rightly know about it.
Here on this side of the Atlantic, we are currently working on some great plans (fantastic plans, just great, so great they are big and great and fantastic) that'll eliminate any and all rude sound taxes... Of course the moment you make them they'll be the property of Mega Corp Rude Sounds and Nasty Gestures Inc. and you'll have to subscribe to a weekly Rude Sound Plan to use your sounds and agree not make them in public or before an audience not subscribed to MCRSNGI's audio plan...
It really makes a lot of sense and I hear it will help prevent Godzilla attacks too.
I thank you for your experiments, especially in collecting data from Canadian nationals... I fear any day now Canada will be erecting a border curtain so it can ignore us for the next couple of years and it might make my sneaking into Canada more difficult, as it appears the fabric will be one of those scratchy polyester blends and I hate crawling under those because I get so itchy afterwards.

Yesterday I asked one of my daughters to make the raspberry sound, to see if there was a difference in how I perceive the sound...
Unfortunately she was eating a cookie at time... That did not produce the sound quality I was hoping for as I was under the delusional belief she would wait until swallowing the aforementioned cookie before trying.
Asking my wife to make the sound resulted in me finding out she does not know how to make the sound.
It was quite adorable though, not unlike a cat trying to make the sound.

@ Faery_Light...
I hadn't considered an "L" in there... It sounds quite feasible that given a specific quantity of saliva, an "L" sound might emerge...
Hmm...
By the way, have you considered 2x4s in place of a fist?
They are quite convenient and come in a variety of lengths depending on the distance at which your targets tend to linger at.
If you have now, in your maturity, decided to turn your back on comical violence, might I suggest a squeaky hammer?
They are quite affordable and take the edge off of friendly beatings, but generally require closer proximity.
Of course by attaching on to the end of a 2x4, you can increase your range.

McGyver

Energetic
Geeze McG, I haven't heard the term Bronx Cheer in ages. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't usually give anyone The Raspberry in person, but I've been known to do it now and then online.

:p~~~~~~~~~~ OK, that's not showing up correctly. It's supposed to be : P ~~~~~~~~~~ without the spaces. Silly forum software smilies.
Yeah, it seems Bronx Cheer is not as popular as it used to be... Of course it's still more popular then "voiceless bilabial trill" which seems to be the academic term for it...
Which I have to say conjures up a vastly different image to me, but academic terms often do.

I never thought of using the ~ symbol...
Mainly because I wasn't even aware it was more then just a myth... It's probably because I've gnawed off the left first key on the second row of every keyboard I own without looking at it first, but that's where I tend to gnaw when I'm annoyed or startled.
In fact I had to look it up...
Did you know it's called a "Tilde"?
You probably did, but I didn't... If I hadn't eaten all of mine, I might know about that too... Since I'm on my iPad now, I still have a virtual tilde key... Which I have to admit for some reason I want to chew on now... But I don't think I ever used one... Ever.
I'm putting that on my bucket list now...
Number 46,782...
Right after "take a nap in a kangaroo pouch"...
I recently found out they are fairly slimy and mucusy, so I may have to change that...
But since I had to look it up, it started me on a journey in which I learned more about tildes then I ever intended...
So much so, I fear I have forgotten a few things to make room for those things...
Did you know that in emails in Japan a tilde can be used a "sarcasm mark"?
I never knew sarcasm marks existed...
But thank you for sending me on that journey... My daughter "whatshername" probably is not gonna be thrilled about me forgetting her name now, but when I explain it was for science, she still will be mad because she hates science... It's the other one that likes science... She likes other stuff...
I think fire... Do they teach that subject?
Is that a subject?
Damn... I forgot what school they go to...
This is gonna make picking them up later, a lot harder...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I love Bill, he loves me, we are now just sittin' in a tree. I can tell you this, positively, I'm going to sneeze for the umpteenth time... love is cruel I tell ya! :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Did you know it's called a "Tilde"?
You probably did, but I didn't... If I hadn't eaten all of mine, I might know about that too... Since I'm on my iPad now, I still have a virtual tilde key... Which I have to admit for some reason I want to chew on now... But I don't think I ever used one... Ever.
I'm putting that on my bucket list now...
Yes, I took Spanish in High School and College, and the Tilde is used, most frequently with Señor, Señora or Señorita.

It just adds a "y" to the pronunciation so, for instance, instead of Sen-or it's pronounced Sen-yor.

There's your Tilde lesson for today. ;)

Minyassa

Enthusiast
When I'm writing it out so that other people will know what I mean, I tend to spell it "Thppt". But in my head I've always felt it should be spelled simply "Pth". I feel this way because one starts the sound with the tongue intruding into the middle of a B or P sound, and if you start the raspberry with a B sound then it is no longer a raspberry but a motorboat sound (by toddler law). So you start it with a mutated P, and then you are basically rolling a th....OR!! Maybe it's just one long rolled P! Pppppppppppp! Boring, but possibly technical?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I don't know why but I'm beginning to suspect that McGyver might had stumbled across a whole new hitherto unsuspected aspect of Physics here. Quantum Raspberry's anyone? I personally find this very exciting and the implications for the future of humanity are potentially boundless. From Bill the Cat in post 1 to Minyassa's Zen-like revelations in post 11! Could mankind finally be on the trail of the elusive Unified Theory, that long-sought Holy Grail of Science?

On the other hand I am pleased to report that the dreaded Rude Sound Tax was defeated unanimously in the House of Lords by a motion of, "What! Pay tax to make rude noises at the bally peasant's? Not on my watch sirrah!"

So THBBFTBBFTBBFT*, PHIPPPSSSSTZZZZZ* or PPHHHWAARP...FIPFT* to you, you political person you! o_O

*Delete according to preference!**
** Other 'raspberry's' are available!

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
When I'm writing it out so that other people will know what I mean, I tend to spell it "Thppt". But in my head I've always felt it should be spelled simply "Pth".

I'm fairly sure that "Pth" is only acceptable if you are an Egyptian Mummy or in a Lovecraft novel. I know wish I had the cute cartoony mummy figure they used to have on RDNA, just so I could so the correct use of Pth in a raspberry.

In the mean time I'll just have to try to finish my ceremony to summon Cutethullu. (Just so you are aware, the only animal sacrifices involved are goat shaped cakes with raspberry filling.)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I always blow the raspberry with my right thumb to my nose and waving my fingers. I don't know if this is standard anywhere else but is almost mandatory here. Usually followed by "Yadda, yadda" or "yarboo sucks to you"

Did you know this?! 'Blowing a raspberry comes from the Cockney rhyming slang "raspberry tart" for "fart"'. I love the English language!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Did you know this?! 'Blowing a raspberry comes from the Cockney rhyming slang "raspberry tart" for "fart"'. I love the English language!

Well Cockeny rhyming slang is very special. I'll never forget, years ago when I was in the U.S. Navy, I got to serve for two weeks on an Australian Navy vessel. Just like in the US Navy, everyone has their last name on their uniform, the problem was, basically no one used people's real last names. There was a whole system of nick names (which I'm pretty sure was originally based on Cockney rhyming slang) that everyone seemed to know.

So when I showed up, since my last name was Bell, I was Tinker (one person called me Dinger once, but then immediately said that didn't work right since I wasn't a guy).

But the best part was the trouble the name of guy I replaced gave them. I had never really thought about the fact that in America we have all sort of last names, from all over. Yeah it's true that you may meet someone who last name you don't know how to pronounce, but that's just sort of life in America. We have all sorts of polite social rules about how you figure out how to pronounce someone's name, and we go on with our lives. But in Australia, the vast majority of last names come from the British, and people aren't used to unfamiliar last names.

Anyway, the guy before me, was named Shucard. He's the only Shucard I've ever known, but his name never gave me any trouble. But it definitely didn't fit into the system of nicknames in the Australian Navy. So since he was a redhead, they called him Blue.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Gadget Girl, when I was still with a writing forum, one of the writer's was from Australia and since my name there was BluEcho, they called me "Blue".
He asked if I was a redhead and at the time I was so he said "Blue" was perfect for my nickname. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Well Cockeny rhyming slang is very special. I'll never forget, years ago when I was in the U.S. Navy, I got to serve for two weeks on an Australian Navy vessel. Just like in the US Navy, everyone has their last name on their uniform, the problem was, basically no one used people's real last names. There was a whole system of nick names (which I'm pretty sure was originally based on Cockney rhyming slang) that everyone seemed to know.

So when I showed up, since my last name was Bell, I was Tinker (one person called me Dinger once, but then immediately said that didn't work right since I wasn't a guy).

But the best part was the trouble the name of guy I replaced gave them. I had never really thought about the fact that in America we have all sort of last names, from all over. Yeah it's true that you may meet someone who last name you don't know how to pronounce, but that's just sort of life in America. We have all sorts of polite social rules about how you figure out how to pronounce someone's name, and we go on with our lives. But in Australia, the vast majority of last names come from the British, and people aren't used to unfamiliar last names.

Anyway, the guy before me, was named Shucard. He's the only Shucard I've ever known, but his name never gave me any trouble. But it definitely didn't fit into the system of nicknames in the Australian Navy. So since he was a redhead, they called him Blue.
Essentially anyone with red hair tends to get called Blue...we do tend to nickname people....I really like yours GG or should I say Tinker!

In regards to last names, first names it's no longer the case. My class has some real humdingers but then I have Indians, Africans(Sudanese mainly), Chinese, Vietnamese, Papua New Guinea. I've probably only got about 4 kids in my class of British Australian Descent (including Irish, Scottish, Cornish and Welsh)...at the start of the year it's always fun trying to pronounce the new first names!

Last edited: