• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

BETA TESTING - IMPORTANT for all Beta Test AND CA's to read!!

I ended up putting all my regular Hivewire products on a thumb drive so when I want to test in Poser I just eject the thumb drive and that way I don't have to worry about Poser finding files from the regular products when it shouldn't. They have really big thumb drives now that are fairly cheap and I haven't noticed any slowdown associated with using a thumb drive.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
We've gotten a few pose sets with this type of issue that is not being picked up by beta testers, so I've added it to the "Pose" section of the first post. Thanks!:

5-Check, as you are turning and zooming, that body parts look NATURAL. You often need to do a lot of little bits of combining twist/bend/side-side, and sometimes that's not done and the twist or bend ends up with broken looking body parts - pay particular attention to necks, legs, hands, fingers, legs, feet, and toes.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I just added this to the first post - this should help in Poser to make it easier to find pokethru in the ground.

Turn ON ground shadows.

Right under the Preview window, there are some little squares and circles with dropdowns. The third from the left allows you to do this.

Ground Shadows Poser.jpg

Turning the Ground prop off will make it even easier.
This is done in the Properties tab (next to the Parameter tab)

You can then zoom in and rotate the scene to see if there is too much pokethru

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Poser: Both CAs and Beta testers

EDIT - I originally had said (based on reading the Poser Manual (under Help) that you should set your search to NONE. THAT IS WRONG, as it causes a missing file error). The following posts will explain more that this information in the Manual is incorrect THE FOLLOWING IS THE CORRECT INFORMATION):

When creating and/or testing products in Poser, you need to set the library search to SHALLOW. When you do not do so, we are likely to find missing files and path errors in QAV.

To do this: Edit > General Preferences. Click Library tab and go to where it says "File Search".

There are 3 options: None, Shallow, and Deep.

To paraphrase from the Poser Manual, here is what each does:

None: This will disable file searching and only look at the file locations (like Geometry and Texture) specified in the Poser files. If they are not correct, you will get an error message. (EDIT - Satira found- thank you! - that this causes a missing file error if you are (as you should be) using a separate Runtime for testing.) DO NOT USE THIS

Shallow:
This looks in all Runtimes for the file, using the relative path and file name if possible. USE THIS

Deep:
This is the default setting, and will mean an extensive search will be done. DO NOT USE THIS - it will cause errors when the product gets to QAV

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks from me too Alisa, as I've always had it set to Shallow. I'll change mine to None now.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I have, too. Then I found this in *gasp* the manual ;) You're all very welcome!

Miss B

CV-BEE
BTW, now that you mention the manual, I am finding it difficult to find a copy of it included with P11.3. I can only find the Poser Python Manual, which I don't have much use for. Do you know of any place I can download a current manual for P11?

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Click on Help in the menu. I have 11.2 installed, but I doubt they changed that.

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA!! They hid it in the language folders, so I found it in the English folder.

I guess they didn't bother doing that with the Python Methods Manual, mostly because the "general public" wouldn't be reading it. Why I didn't think to look in there has me scratching my head. ~LOL~

Thanks Alisa. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Now that I've set my library search to NONE, I am getting a missing file com.obj when I do anything, from loading a figure, loading a pose, loading a material ...

Apparently, this is an issue when using either narrow or none (though oddly, I've never encountered the problem when I used narrow). However, someone did ask about it on both Smith Micro and Renderosity. Here's the Renderosity link.

Poser can't find file "com.obj"

Apparently, Poser is looking for the com.obz file in the main Poser runtime in the Geometries / Balance folder.

1592012071703.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't seen that happen, and I was playing in Poser last night, after I set my library search to None.

Then again I "only" use the main Runtime folder within Poser 11. I don't let the installer set up the 3D Content>Poser 11 Content>Downloads>Runtime folder.

My path is C:>3D Applications>Poser 11>Runtime>Geometries>Balance, so I'm not seeing this issue.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If all your content is installed in the Poser content Runtime, you won't encounter this problem. It's only when you install content in Runtimes that do not have the Geometries/Balance folder.

I only install content to the Poser Runtime that comes with Poser, and I rarely use content that comes with Poser. Everything I purchase, create, or beta test is installed in separate Runtimes depending on the type of content. When I load products from one of those Runtimes, I set that Runtime as the active Runtime.

If I have any library other than the Poser 11 Content (which is the Renderosity Poser Runtime) or the Poser 11 Content Smith Micro (which is the old Smith Micro content Runtime) set as the active Runtime, Poser is not able to find com.obj.

1592054459965.png

I doubt it matters where you installed the Poser Content Runtime. It's whether a Runtime with the Geometries/Balance folder is the active Runtime.

Loading content from my Poser 11 Content, Poser is able to find com.obj. Now that Poser knows where com.obj is located, I can change my active Runtime to another Runtime, and Poser is still able to find com.obj.
1592055864604.png

However if I close and relaunch Poser, and change the active Runtime to a Runtime that does not have the Geometries/Balance folder, Poser is not able to find com.obj when I load content from that Runtime.

In this case, I loaded Dawn SE from my Figures Runtime, and Poser could not find com.obj.
1592056141705.png

Once I locate com.obj, I can change my active Runtime as much as I want, and Poser remembers where com.obj is located (until I close and relaunch Poser.)

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, so folks with a lot of different runtimes are the ones running into this issue. I only have separate runtimes for other software, like my old Poser 9 runtime, and my DS 3A runtime on my old laptop. I won't be installing P9 again, so will probably bring whatever V4, M4, etc. content over to P11 on this laptop. Not sure yet whether I'll bring anything over from DS 3A, because that's mostly generation 4 content as well. There's only a handful of DAZ environment products I might still use for full scenes now and then, so I'll wait and see as far as that goes.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
OK, so folks with a lot of different runtimes are the ones running into this issue. I only have separate runtimes for other software, like my old Poser 9 runtime, and my DS 3A runtime on my old laptop. I won't be installing P9 again, so will probably bring whatever V4, M4, etc. content over to P11 on this laptop. Not sure yet whether I'll bring anything over from DS 3A, because that's mostly generation 4 content as well. There's only a handful of DAZ environment products I might still use for full scenes now and then, so I'll wait and see as far as that goes.

Do you not use a separate runtime for testing?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, but I don't use it for general usage as I do other runtimes I use for scene/render work, so didn't mention it.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sorry, I haven't gotten back to this. Thanks, Satira, for the info.

This is indeed a bizarre issue. I had Poser open when I switched to "none", so didn't notice it. I don't know why the help file tells you to test products that way - Maybe they assume you are using the main Runtime to test new products, and you should NEVER do that - should always set up a separate one. They appear to be wrong about this. I even tried to uncompress the obz file so that the file was an obj, and it still caused an issue.

I'm going to leave this discussion here, but am about to go back and change that note back to say that you should set search to "Shallow"

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm going to leave this discussion here, but am about to go back and change that note back to say that you should set search to "Shallow"
So we should change our searches back to Shallow as well? I also had Poser open when I changed the setting.