• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Anyone tried ZBrush 4R8 yet?

Jay Versluis

Admirable
After months of waiting Pixologic released ZBrush 4R8 yesterday. It's a free upgrade for existing customers. There are plenty of new things in there (besides the 3D Gizmo). Here's a playlist with videos by Michael Pavlovich who is kind enough to explain what's new:

ZBrush 4R8 - YouTube

Enjoy!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the link...I discovered this when I was on pinterest last night. Do you have links for downloading it yet? Normally they send links and info on how to install...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
How is ZBrush on opening files in different versions? I picked up the educational version of 4R7 just a couple of months ago, but if the classroom computers have been upgraded to 4R8 when Fall semester starts at the end of August, I'm going to have to move projects back and forth across versions.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
Hi Pen,

you can download the new version here: Pixologic :: Download Center

The whole process is way more complicated than it needs to be. Apparently, there's an upgrade option within ZBrush under ZPlugins - Auto-Upgrade. Mine showed no updates available, so I had to do it manually. This works as follows:
  • download the new version (have your original serial number and email address handy)
  • deactivate the current copy of ZBrush
  • this will give you a deactivation code and opens your browser
  • deactivate using that code in your browser
  • now install and open the new version
  • this will give you an activation code
  • hack that into your browser for activation
For something as sophisticated as ZBrush, the whole process sucks! But hey, we get a real 3D Gizmo - worth enduring the pain :)

JOdel, I've tried opening ZBrush 4R7 projects in ZBrush 4R8 without problems.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Good-oh. That probably means that I can use what I've got as long as my OS supports it.

That is, unless I fall in love with the program and feel like I have to keep it current.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
There is one thing I did notice though: 4R7 came with two executables, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Having been a 32-bit programme traditionally, they weren't quite ready to launch it "stable" in 64-bit, so they gave us both options. With 4R8 I only saw one file, and that's the 64-bit version. I'm not sure if they've removed the32-bit version completely, or if it's because I'm on a Mac and there is no 32-bit version available for it (because there is no 32-bit macOS anymore).

So as long as you're on a 64-bit operating system, you're A-OK.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yup. Mac user here. The classroom computers (Wintel) were using the 64-bit version too. So it looks like I'll be set for next semester, at least.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Jay...

I've downloaded it and installed. Should be able to uninstall the V4r7 as I deactivated it but haven't done so yet. Good news is it looks to be 64 based so shouldn't need the 32 and the 64 installed any more.

Had a quick play but still learning the new features. Love the gizmo so much easier than what they had.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've been checking out the new tutorials on the features that are new with 4R8
This channel from Michael Pavolich is the best I've found so far...really explains what the new features on the gizmo and booleans can do. Still watching them...
Michael Pavlovich

Dylan

Eager
How is ZBrush on opening files in different versions? I picked up the educational version of 4R7 just a couple of months ago, but if the classroom computers have been upgraded to 4R8 when Fall semester starts at the end of August, I'm going to have to move projects back and forth across versions.

Projects made in 4r8 won't open in 4r7. But projects in 4r7 will open in 4r8.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Worth knowing. Is there a way to save files in a format openable by earlier versions?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@JOdel, would saving it as a tool help?

Hey Dylan, good to see you!

I've had a quick play with the body parts and also the live booleans. I can see lots of potential for the new features.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ah, probably. Yeah, that was the issue with ZBrush Core. It wouldn't save as a tool or import saved tools.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks as soon as i get chance I'll check it out Dylan! I'm still working my way through the Michael Pavolich ones. Which are excellent!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks so much Dylan. That was very helpful.

Yes, I have 4r8 installed. Done some works with it.... but a note. If you, like myself, keep your GoZ projects in the GoZ project folder or a sub folder (I do, named RAMWorks) and then uninstall the previous version of ZBrush, make sure you have that folder backed up somewhere because when I did the uninstall the GoZ folder uninstalled all my works. Luckily I had a recent backup and luckily I hadn't been doing much modeling lately but did have to recreate a tanktop I made for Dusk for his upcoming Training Gear set. Still in the early stages but I got that done thanks to a saved out .duf file that contained the tanktop and all the morphs I made for it. WHEW.. I was NOT happy. Most programs will leave user created files behind but apparently ZBrush does not so just a word of warning.... back up your user files or they will be deleted and not to the bin but just plain old GONE! :(:cry::(