• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A streak of fruitless dynamics

spearcarrier

Admirable
Well I have stayed up past my bedtime to give your suggestion a try. I chose a gothic set with lacey bits.
It fell apart.
I was super hoping it would work!
Maybe it helps sometimes? It's always worth a try.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
check RosemaryR's stuff at sharecg for some excellent free dynamic items, including kilts, togas and art deco dresses.

At rendo look for the vendors Frequency and Tipol. I have sets from both of them and the sets are both easy to use and have actual textures, not just shader based.

LM

spearcarrier

Admirable
Did you export/import the object after putting all the vertices in one face group?

Well, I brought it in, changed the groupings to be all one group, then I exported to an obj with poser settings. (DAZ made it too big.) I reimported, had to use VWD to get it to convert, and then converted. And it fell apart. More disappointments! At least there's no lack of other things. They're just... simple things.

Lyrra, gonna go look... I may have already combed her stuff before. =^-^=

I wonder where I can find any remaining Aiko 3 anything? Specifically characters. I'm out for skin textures.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Hmmm. Buttons never would stay on for me, so I would usually just delete them in Blender, but the rest of the garments would always stick together.

spearcarrier

Admirable
I'm starting to think if it was going to stay together anyway, the extra steps weren't needed. The ends of the sleeves fell off, the collar, all of the lace, etc. Usually when I convert over an article, I change my view to wireframe smooth and look at the mesh first. There are a lot of objects that will surprise you, so it's worth it to look.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
It sounds like that particular garment is modelled as several separate objects that are only held together by being made conforming. Once in a while, those turn up, and then it's very sad... In Blender, though, it is possible to merge them together without too much trouble (as in, less than 1/2 an hour). If I really like an outfit, I have done that a few times.

spearcarrier

Admirable
It sounds like that particular garment is modelled as several separate objects that are only held together by being made conforming. Once in a while, those turn up, and then it's very sad... In Blender, though, it is possible to merge them together without too much trouble (as in, less than 1/2 an hour). If I really like an outfit, I have done that a few times.
Well yes. That's been the problem all along. LOL. Sometimes an outfit isn't worth going into blender for though. I tried to convert a dress I have last night and the lace hem was so far away from the skirt I might as well have modeled a whole new object. And isn' t it better for the 3d artists if they just make stuff I'm gonna wanna buy? ;-P

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I often export conforming outfits as obj, and then re-import and run as dynamic cloth. If you use the right settings, it welds the vertices and everything works great. The best part of that method is that you can run practically anything through the simulator...
Could you provide a tutorial on how to do that? I want to use Trumarcar's lovely christening dress for Luna on Diva but it falls apart with smoothing on.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Step 1: Edit>Convert Figure to Prop
Not sure if this is really necessary, but I do it anyway

Step 2: Tool Settings>Geometry Editor
Geometry Selection>Select All
Geometry Assignment>Assign to FaceGroup (whichever you want; all that matters is that they are in the same group)

Step 3: Export>To obj
I start with the default Poser export settings, but then I:
a) Check the "Use Bone Welds" box
b) Uncheck the "Write Groups" box

Step 4: Edit in Blender (only sometimes)
If parts of a garment are modelled as separate meshes, I use the "Edge Select>Loop" tool in Blender to select the edge loops that are closest together, then the "Bridge Edge Loops" tool to join them together. Then I assign the new faces to a surface group.

Step 5: Re-import into Studio

Step 6: Drape Cloth... ;)

View media item 1933
The girl's dress was draped using this process and DynCreator for DAZ Studio.