• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

eclark1894

Visionary
Admittedly, I've been a little distracted by my Poser Vendor list, but no I haven't stopped working on the house. reworking the mesh now for the kitchen cabinets.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not a problem Earl. Sometimes a little break helps, as you more than likely will come back to it refreshed, and things will go smoother.

eclark1894

Visionary
Took a little time today to look at the house again. I think I got all the UV mapping done, but it happened again. I imported the house into Poser and suddenly there are a whole bunch of extra Material zones that do nothing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You double-checked that they're not there when you're in Blender? I've never had that happen to me, but it has been a while since I've UV Mapped a large project.

eclark1894

Visionary
You double-checked that they're not there when you're in Blender? I've never had that happen to me, but it has been a while since I've UV Mapped a large project.
Yep. I don't think it's anything I'm doing, but You never know. What I usually do to fix it is just edit the obj. and mtl. files and delete the extra zones.

Miss B

CV-BEE
What software do you use to edit an OBJ file? I would think a plain text editor would just give you a huuuuuuge list of elements that would be hard to navigate.

eclark1894

Visionary
You can use a text editor like Notepad. I basically just scroll down until I see something that I know doesn't belong there.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhh. I use the Poser File Editor for files like CR2s, PP2s, etc., so I'm spoiled. Don't know if there's such an app for editing OBJs.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I was told to use Notedpad ++. The price is right for going through Cr2 and PP2 files, it beats does beat old weathered notepad (which I still use for quick notes to myself)

Miss B

CV-BEE
As much as I'd like to see you finish the stable, I think the house would get more use. ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, so I chose the house to work on. The kitchen island to be exact, and I found a flaw in the mesh for the dishwasher. So that's where I'll start tonight and fan out from that point. I'm also thinking that I might replace the three smaller windows in the dining room with a bay window instead.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Congrats on getting started Earl...I have been in a slump for a while and just can't get motivated for much of anything 3D at the moment.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I hope so...I've hardly touched 3D and I'm half way through my holidays. I do seem to be on a anti clutter mission though..:bee:

I just keep thinking of all the projects I've got half way and would really like to finish some of them...

quietrob

Extraordinary
I hope so...I've hardly touched 3D and I'm half way through my holidays. I do seem to be on a anti clutter mission though..:bee:

I just keep thinking of all the projects I've got half way and would really like to finish some of them...
I feel you. I have scripts for a dozen stories and I'm way behind. It's the hours. A comic book would have a penciller, inker, colorist, letterer and editor. Each one can put in HOURS per page. The same applies with 3D art. You still need the concept. Practice at the concept until it is laid out properly, rendering at low levels for testing purposes. Changes like NOT having her thumb go through the screen of the cell phone and argh! The mesh is broken here. Why does my lighting look better BEFORE I render it. So many things to work on. Best visit the oldest ones first. You'll be surprised at how much time has passed since you rendered in anger (or love).

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, now I'm scared. I know and remember making this dishwasher. Except... this mesh is weird. The back end and bottom is done so nicely and cleanly. I don't remember doing it that way. It almost looks like someone else did it. But even if that was the case, the front part of the dishwasher looks like a novice couldn't figure it out and just butted two ends together.
upload_2018-1-11_7-39-59.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
I would think the Bevel modifier would fix the corners to give you a nice rounded look. I just tried it on a cube, and set the Segments to 4, but you can set them a little higher if you wish.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've had that happen with stuff I've done Earl...I think that sometimes we surprise ourselves at how good we've done something and it's not unusual to improve as you go with an item.