12th Annual Open Rendering Season Contest 2018

Discussion in 'Official HiveWire 3D Contests' started by LisaB, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Bonnie2001

Bonnie2001 Extraordinary

2. Bonnie2001

Bonnie2001 Extraordinary

There are a few stunning images in there. Not an easy one for the judges I think.

3. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

I would agree Bonnie.

Sadly, I can't even think of an idea this time around.

Ken, I'm only seeing a swallow (Mangrove Swallow) in the Yucatan Birds of Central America and the prop swallows in Flock Formations. Are there more swallows (like the Tree Swallows or Barn Swallows) in other products?

4. Ken Gilliland

Ken Gilliland Ambitious HW3D Exclusive Artist

One way to see what I have in Songbird ReMix format is to go to my "Bird Encyclopedia" section. Each bird entry has all the text you see in the Field Guide plus a link at the bottom of the page to the product it belongs to. Some of the "Free Bird" links will give you 404s (I need to fix that)-- Free Birds can be found in the SBRM Product section of my store under "Downloads"

For Swallows...
    All Swallow textures are compatible with Flock Formations-- just apply the materials to the swallow prop. Some materials (Bank, Barn and Tree) are included in Flock Formations.

5. Satira Capriccio

Thanks Ken.

While I've purchased rather a few of your bird products, I have yet to purchase the Base Set. I'll have to move it to the top of the list. Mission Bells requires Songbird ReMix Base, right?

It looks like Shorebirds Volume 1 was the first set I purchased ... in October 2009. I've managed to whittle the "Birds I'm Missing" list down to just these 24 products in the years since.

01 Songbird ReMix Base
    02 Songbird ReMix Characters
    03 Songbird ReMix Woodpeckers
    04 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct
    05 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual Birds
    06 Songbird ReMix European Edition 1
    08 Songbird ReMix Second Edition
    09 Songbird ReMix Pet Shop
    10 Songbird ReMix Gamebirds
    12 Songbird ReMix Motherhood
    13 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual 2
    14 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 2
    15 Songbird ReMix Wild Turkey
    16 Songbird ReMix Yucatan
    19 Songbird ReMix Condors
    19 Songbird ReMix Vultures
    21 Songbird ReMix Seabirds 1
    25 Songbird ReMix Flamingos
    31 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 3
    32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of North America
    32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of South America
    38 Songbird ReMix Vultures 2​

Amazing!

Ken Gilliland likes this.
  6. Dollmommy

Dollmommy Inspired

Well, success!!! I went ahead and deleted all signs of songbird pkgs in my main Daz runtime once again, then added the older files first, the ones that haven't had the major changes. Then I proceeded to install the poser files of the others first, then the daz files saying to replace all as it was installing and asked replace or skip. Now everything is reinstalled and all birds are working as they should.
    I used to do testing of the songbirds when I worked for QC here at Hivewire so I knew that I had things installed correctly for the mac os, never had to have things in the main runtime to work. There may be one of the transparencies that gets overwritten when installing that caused my problems with the owl, I don't know. Just thought I would let you know I am back up and running with my owls on my imac!! WooHooo!!

Chris and Rae134 like this.
  7. Ken Gilliland

Looks like I'll have to get work making more volumes now that you are catching up :devil"

You didn't hear this from me but any of the volumes you do have that have the "SongbirdReMix3.cr2" base will work for those swallows as well.

Glad to hear to figured out the issue :)

8. Satira Capriccio

That's good to know Ken.

Thanks!

9. Szark

Szark Busy Bee

some really awesome images for far and those who know me, I love a message, especially when it is about the environment.

TIP for some: Try and make the birds the main focus of the image.

Chris, Ken Gilliland, Dan30 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

@Szark
    Hey Szark, haven't seen you around for some time. I rezonate with you entirely...

Szark likes this.
  11. Ken Gilliland

I can't stress that enough... remember the people judging this contest work/volunteer at Audubon. They wouldn't so if they weren't very passionate about birds.

12. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Yes, he used to hang out here more often than once a year. ;)

13. Satira Capriccio

I finally thought of an image!

It includes HiveWire's Fallen Tree and Lisa's Greens, and features a trio of Common Nighthawks and several One-eyed Sphinx Moths.

Poor moths though. They are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chris and Rae134 like this.
  14. jecnodde

jecnodde Admirable

Another question: how are the rules about more violent and bloody images?

15. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

I squeaked in...couldn't let a contest go by without showing my support for Ken and his wonderful birds! My entry isn't much, but at least I was able to get one in. This year's isn't full of people either... ;)

Ken Gilliland and Chris like this.
  16. Ken Gilliland

I don't have any formal rules on blood/violence for the contest, however since Hivewire3D is hosting the contest on their forum and gallery, you need need to conform their rules regarding nudity and violence. There have been images submitted in prior years contests that depict birds feasting on prey (such as vultures) so I don't think that crosses the line. I'd imagine some forms of gratuitous violence would be inappropriate, so just use some commonsense. For instance, a "hunting" image portraying a day's haul of game probably isn't going to fare well with a bunch of Audubon judges.

17. Satira Capriccio

Next round of entries have been uploaded to the 2018 Open Rendering Season Contest

I wonder if there is a Great Horned Owl in my neighborhood. Of the owls found in Philadelphia, it's the one that sounds most like what I've been hearing. Which is a soft hoo, hoo, hoo a few times a day, like in the evening or early morning, but then nothing the rest of the night or day. Which doesn't mean whatever is making the noise is quiet all other times, only that with my windows closed and the AC/fan running, I may not be able to hear it. Generally, I really only hear traffic with the AC/fan running. And I hear absolutely nothing from outside after about 1:30ish am until about 6:30 am when the trains start running again.

Since this year was hot and humid earlier than usual, or at least, it seems so based on when I had to turn on the AC, I haven't heard near the amount of birds I'd normally hear in the wee hours of the morning. Until I moved out to the almost suburbs, I didn't realize birds are so noisy LONG BEFORE dawn.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  18. Ken Gilliland

Great Horned Owls are found thorough-out most of North America (with the exception of Greenland/Far North and Southern Central America). We've had a pair of Common Poorwills in our yard this week. I love their call.

19. Satira Capriccio

I stumbled across the Cornell Lab of Ornithology yesterday when I was searching on the sounds of owls found in Philadelphia / Pennsylvania. The only Owl that sounds similar to what I hear is the Great Horned Owl. Though, what I hear seems to be three hoots (hoo-hoo-hoo), followed by silence, then repeated several times for about 5 or so minutes. I was thinking if I opened a window when I start hearing the call, I'd be able to hear it better. But ... when I heard it this morning about 7 am, I was sorta indisposed at the time.

What I hear is similar to the three hoots by the male owl at 48-52 seconds and again at 2:40-2:45.

As beautiful as cranes and herons are ... they don't sound anything like they look!

Then too ... the Bald Eagle and Golden Eagles don't sound like what I'd expect them to sound like. If I heard a Golden Eagle, I'd be looking for a Sea Gull!

20. Ken Gilliland

For all of you last minuters, your time has come... it's the 15th! Last day we're accepting entries