• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

12th Annual Open Rendering Season Contest 2018

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I would agree Bonnie.

Sadly, I can't even think of an idea this time around.

Ken, I'm only seeing a swallow (Mangrove Swallow) in the Yucatan Birds of Central America and the prop swallows in Flock Formations. Are there more swallows (like the Tree Swallows or Barn Swallows) in other products?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I would agree Bonnie.

Sadly, I can't even think of an idea this time around.

Ken, I'm only seeing a swallow (Mangrove Swallow) in the Yucatan Birds of Central America and the prop swallows in Flock Formations. Are there more swallows (like the Tree Swallows or Barn Swallows) in other products?

One way to see what I have in Songbird ReMix format is to go to my "Bird Encyclopedia" section. Each bird entry has all the text you see in the Field Guide plus a link at the bottom of the page to the product it belongs to. Some of the "Free Bird" links will give you 404s (I need to fix that)-- Free Birds can be found in the SBRM Product section of my store under "Downloads"

For Swallows...
All Swallow textures are compatible with Flock Formations-- just apply the materials to the swallow prop. Some materials (Bank, Barn and Tree) are included in Flock Formations.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken.

While I've purchased rather a few of your bird products, I have yet to purchase the Base Set. I'll have to move it to the top of the list. Mission Bells requires Songbird ReMix Base, right?

It looks like Shorebirds Volume 1 was the first set I purchased ... in October 2009. I've managed to whittle the "Birds I'm Missing" list down to just these 24 products in the years since.

01 Songbird ReMix Base
02 Songbird ReMix Characters
03 Songbird ReMix Woodpeckers
04 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct
05 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual Birds
06 Songbird ReMix European Edition 1
08 Songbird ReMix Second Edition
09 Songbird ReMix Pet Shop
10 Songbird ReMix Gamebirds
12 Songbird ReMix Motherhood
13 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual 2
14 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 2
15 Songbird ReMix Wild Turkey
16 Songbird ReMix Yucatan
19 Songbird ReMix Condors
19 Songbird ReMix Vultures
21 Songbird ReMix Seabirds 1
25 Songbird ReMix Flamingos
31 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 3
32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of North America
32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of South America
38 Songbird ReMix Vultures 2​

Amazing!

Dollmommy

Motivated
That's weird-- it's like the transparency maps aren't there. I loaded and rendered a couple in all 4 renderers and found no issues. I have had problems, every once in a while, with weird rendering quirks. For instance, my wacom pen is now locking up Painter (grrrrrr!)... usually a reboot fixes it.
I can think of a couple possible things that might be wrong...

1) Make sure you are using the latest version... You said that to downloaded it a couple days ago, so I'm assuming you have the latest one. The next question would be, are you using the latest one. All new and updated Songbird ReMix products are now found in "Animals/Songbird ReMix... etc" in Poser and DS versions. The old version resided in the "Songbird ReMix" folders (not under "Animals"). I now put everything new under the "Animals" folder to avoid confusion with the older Songbird ReMix products which haven't yet been updated.

2) Make sure the transparency maps are there... they'll be in runtime/textures/songbirds/owls. You'll be looking for owl_trans1.jpg through owl_trans5.jpg. Next check the material room/tab and make sure the Trans1 through Trans5 materials have those maps attached to them. If the maps are attached but not rendering there's something off in DS/Poser render settings or a system resources issue (cpu/memory). One solution might be to try rendering it with SubD turned off (or set to "0")

Sorry, I can't really think of any other solutions...

Well, success!!! I went ahead and deleted all signs of songbird pkgs in my main Daz runtime once again, then added the older files first, the ones that haven't had the major changes. Then I proceeded to install the poser files of the others first, then the daz files saying to replace all as it was installing and asked replace or skip. Now everything is reinstalled and all birds are working as they should.
I used to do testing of the songbirds when I worked for QC here at Hivewire so I knew that I had things installed correctly for the mac os, never had to have things in the main runtime to work. There may be one of the transparencies that gets overwritten when installing that caused my problems with the owl, I don't know. Just thought I would let you know I am back up and running with my owls on my imac!! WooHooo!!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Ken.

While I've purchased rather a few of your bird products, I have yet to purchase the Base Set. I'll have to move it to the top of the list. Mission Bells requires Songbird ReMix Base, right?

It looks like Shorebirds Volume 1 was the first set I purchased ... in October 2009. I've managed to whittle the "Birds I'm Missing" list down to just these 24 products in the years since.

01 Songbird ReMix Base
02 Songbird ReMix Characters
03 Songbird ReMix Woodpeckers
04 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct
05 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual Birds
06 Songbird ReMix European Edition 1
08 Songbird ReMix Second Edition
09 Songbird ReMix Pet Shop
10 Songbird ReMix Gamebirds
12 Songbird ReMix Motherhood
13 Songbird ReMix Cool & Unusual 2
14 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 2
15 Songbird ReMix Wild Turkey
16 Songbird ReMix Yucatan
19 Songbird ReMix Condors
19 Songbird ReMix Vultures
21 Songbird ReMix Seabirds 1
25 Songbird ReMix Flamingos
31 Songbird ReMix Threatened, Endangered, Extinct 3
32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of North America
32 Songbird ReMix Hummingbirds of South America
38 Songbird ReMix Vultures 2​

Amazing!

Looks like I'll have to get work making more volumes now that you are catching up :devil"

You didn't hear this from me but any of the volumes you do have that have the "SongbirdReMix3.cr2" base will work for those swallows as well.

Well, success!!! I went ahead and deleted all signs of songbird pkgs in my main Daz runtime once again, then added the older files first, the ones that haven't had the major changes. Then I proceeded to install the poser files of the others first, then the daz files saying to replace all as it was installing and asked replace or skip. Now everything is reinstalled and all birds are working as they should.
I used to do testing of the songbirds when I worked for QC here at Hivewire so I knew that I had things installed correctly for the mac os, never had to have things in the main runtime to work. There may be one of the transparencies that gets overwritten when installing that caused my problems with the owl, I don't know. Just thought I would let you know I am back up and running with my owls on my imac!! WooHooo!!

Glad to hear to figured out the issue :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I finally thought of an image!

It includes HiveWire's Fallen Tree and Lisa's Greens, and features a trio of Common Nighthawks and several One-eyed Sphinx Moths.

Poor moths though. They are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I squeaked in...couldn't let a contest go by without showing my support for Ken and his wonderful birds! My entry isn't much, but at least I was able to get one in. This year's isn't full of people either... ;)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Another question: how are the rules about more violent and bloody images?

I don't have any formal rules on blood/violence for the contest, however since Hivewire3D is hosting the contest on their forum and gallery, you need need to conform their rules regarding nudity and violence. There have been images submitted in prior years contests that depict birds feasting on prey (such as vultures) so I don't think that crosses the line. I'd imagine some forms of gratuitous violence would be inappropriate, so just use some commonsense. For instance, a "hunting" image portraying a day's haul of game probably isn't going to fare well with a bunch of Audubon judges.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Next round of entries have been uploaded to the 2018 Open Rendering Season Contest

I wonder if there is a Great Horned Owl in my neighborhood. Of the owls found in Philadelphia, it's the one that sounds most like what I've been hearing. Which is a soft hoo, hoo, hoo a few times a day, like in the evening or early morning, but then nothing the rest of the night or day. Which doesn't mean whatever is making the noise is quiet all other times, only that with my windows closed and the AC/fan running, I may not be able to hear it. Generally, I really only hear traffic with the AC/fan running. And I hear absolutely nothing from outside after about 1:30ish am until about 6:30 am when the trains start running again.

Since this year was hot and humid earlier than usual, or at least, it seems so based on when I had to turn on the AC, I haven't heard near the amount of birds I'd normally hear in the wee hours of the morning. Until I moved out to the almost suburbs, I didn't realize birds are so noisy LONG BEFORE dawn.

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I stumbled across the Cornell Lab of Ornithology yesterday when I was searching on the sounds of owls found in Philadelphia / Pennsylvania. The only Owl that sounds similar to what I hear is the Great Horned Owl. Though, what I hear seems to be three hoots (hoo-hoo-hoo), followed by silence, then repeated several times for about 5 or so minutes. I was thinking if I opened a window when I start hearing the call, I'd be able to hear it better. But ... when I heard it this morning about 7 am, I was sorta indisposed at the time.

What I hear is similar to the three hoots by the male owl at 48-52 seconds and again at 2:40-2:45.

As beautiful as cranes and herons are ... they don't sound anything like they look!

Then too ... the Bald Eagle and Golden Eagles don't sound like what I'd expect them to sound like. If I heard a Golden Eagle, I'd be looking for a Sea Gull!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
For all of you last minuters, your time has come... it's the 15th! Last day we're accepting entries