• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do
Wings of Glass - Art Poster
Planetary Blockade
Caption
TITLE: "Wings of Glass - Concept Promo-Poster"
MEDIA: "Colored Pencil"
YEAR: 2007
BACKGROUND:
This was original conceived in 1993. At that time, the fighter was drawn in pencil linework, and the girl in the corner was illustrated and shaded. Several circles were simply sketched into the background (which are now the planet, and two moons). No other work was done on this since. I decided I liked fighter design (despite a few glaring proportion errors...you know you see them). So this year I decided to render the background in full illustration and shading. The detail on the planets, the starfield, the starships, the energy beam were all added and shaded as you see them now. I also did some touch-ups to the girl in the corner, and tried to "ghost" her image into the background. I decided not to touch the fighter until all else was done...and then, at the end I decided I wanted the fighter (and only the fighter) to be in color. Despite the obvious and glaring proportional errors, and the slight mishap on the shading in one place, I love the overall effect and final look of this piece. This piece has MANY inspirational sources, and I will give kudos...and perhaps some form of reward (such as a small personalized picture with NO watermarks) to anyone who correctly names the three most significant sources that this picture draws from (I'll give a hint, 1 is a very popular movie...an iconic movie at that).
The color scheme I chose for the fighter is classic experimental prototype/Trainer colors (hint). I decided that making the fighter color would better give the feel of the storyline this concept is for, Wings Of Glass.

This image was created using , among other things, an older set of Prismacolor pencils from when they were manufactured by Berol, a number 2 hard lead pencil, a .05mm technical pencil, and a lot of coffee. It was rendered on a medium tooth drawing surface, found in a leatherbound, Tara sketchbook (8.5 x 11 inch). The entire piece took me about fifteen hours to complete (mainly that darned starfield!).
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Science Fiction
Added by
KageRyu
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata