• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Being a disgusting showoff again. This is anticipating its due date by 3-4 weeks, but it's my final project. I couldn't get anywhere in the assignment before this since it turns out that ZBrush Core is useless for heaving files back and forth between computers. And that assignment was totally dependent on tossing things back and forth between Maya and ZBrush.

In any case: the assignment for the final project was to build a "controller". I'm pretty sure that the instructor was thinking of something like a game controller, or a remote, or maybe an old-style cel phone. Or something like that.

I decided to build a Seeburg Wall-O-Matic.

And then I decided I needed to build it a retrodiner to live in.

Now, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to take it into the classroom and render it in mentalRay, which is what the instructor wants, since I don't have it here at home (if anyone knows where I can find it and get it installed on my computer I would be grateful. Would save me all kinds of grief). The issue is that I did most of the text in Maya. And while I can be reasonably confident that Tahoma and Trebuchet MS will be on the classroom computers, I'm not so sure about SourceCodePro, Swiss721RoundedBold or DIN Condensed. I've got a sample file with bits of text from all of them in it and tomorrow I'll see whether Maya at school can open it. If it can, I'm home free. If not, well, I've got 3-4 weeks to find a solution.
Diner_1.jpg
Seeburg_1.jpg
Seeburg_2.jpg
Seeburg_3.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

Nice going ma'am. I so remember those in the old diners from my youth. ~cough, cough~

You did a great job on both. ;)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Being a disgusting showoff again. This is anticipating its due date by 3-4 weeks, but it's my final project. I couldn't get anywhere in the assignment before this since it turns out that ZBrush Core is useless for heaving files back and forth between computers. And that assignment was totally dependent on tossing things back and forth between Maya and ZBrush.

In any case: the assignment for the final project was to build a "controller". I'm pretty sure that the instructor was thinking of something like a game controller, or a remote, or maybe an old-style cel phone. Or something like that.

Now, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to take it into the classroom and render it in mentalRay, which is what the instructor wants, since I don't have it here at home (if anyone knows where I can find it and get it installed on my computer I would be grateful. Would save me all kinds of grief). The issue is that I did most of the text in Maya. And while I can be reasonably confident that Tahoma and Trebuchet MS will be on the classroom computers, I'm not so sure about SourceCodePro, Swiss721RoundedBold or DIN Condensed. I've got a sample file with bits of text from all of them in it and tomorrow I'll see whether Maya at school can open it. If it can, I'm home free. If not, well, I've got 3-4 weeks to find a solution.View attachment 26232View attachment 26233View attachment 26234View attachment 26235
I'm old enough to remember those jukebox controllers as a kid. It was always fun when your song finally came up after other folks songs who gotten there first. I hope you solved your problems and got a good grade.

quietrob

Extraordinary
@JOdel : I remember seeing those remote jukebox controllers in diner booths!:D

Meanwhile, in Lothlorien...
"Have a seat, have a sip."

The glass, liquids, metal, and candle wax:

Great scene. I remember stopping by Caras Galadhon for a sip myself. They wondered about my ears but liked my coin.

This is a great example of PBR and if given the time it can compare easily to IRAY in my humble opinion. (Please tell me those are superfly shaders)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well I took a text test file into class this evening, and I'm in typeface hell, all right. The Tahoma and the Trebuchet are fine, as antcipated. But I'm going to have to rebuild the numbers on the buttons, because that font disappears on the class computer. I suspect the coin slot text will as well, so I'm going to have to rebuild all of those.

I'll do it on a new copy of the file and keep this one on the computer that it was built on. That's the one I'm likely to be doing any new copies at home from. For class I can sacrifice a copy which probably won't be as good a match.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes both Tahoma and Trebuchet (my usual font of choice for plain text files) are built-in Windows fonts.

As long as you save the copy you have at home for future work, that's all that should really matter. I suspect you'll get a good grade even with a plain Windows font on the class computer. :)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Please tell me those are superfly shaders
Yes, those are Superfly test renders;:D I'm updating the Lothlorien enviro playset for Superfly. It will also have some geometry and UV mapping corrections/improvements, and have some new pieces added. All of the pieces will be left separate because I realize that lots of people have limited RAM and so they'll need to be selective about what to load into a scene.

One needed correction I saw immediately on the mid-range shot posted on the previous page (page 107) was that the glow aura around the (melon? salmon?) colored paper lanterns obliterates the view of the lanterns themselves, so I need to adjust the Edge_Blend node values to make the lanterns visible and the glow only appear as a halo around the outside.

The glass/liquid tests are especially difficult with a night shot; if you can get stuff to work in low light levels, the daytime shots will be easy.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I love the Halle Berry Green Lantern as much as I do the exotic Wonder Woman, especially with that lasso! She's not Gal Gadot or Lynda Carter but still captures the look of Wonder Woman just the same.

rokket, I'm just loving that smirk.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Is she related to Jay at all? I can't remember ... I know she joined the JSA later on....

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Night scene lit by meshlights, glass with thickness and interior liquid. Kind of a torture test for a render engine.

Littlefox' Dixie hair using BB's shader. Dolly is Aiko 3 with Thorne's Sydni MAT/morph, with Superfly material modifications. Clothing is Fabiana's Hidden Winds with material modifications. Furniture, glassware, buildings, trees, terrain, and skydome are part of freebie Lothlorien enviro playset.