• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
Love the image you don't see many good Egyptian renders, come to think of it you don't see many Egyptian renders good, or bad.

Like Miss B I have no Egyptian content of any sort in my collection, not sure why because I am sure I could make use of it.

Hornet3d

Wise
I few months ago she could have quite happily thrown him over the bridge. Now, almost despite herself, she was beginning to feel very different. She felt nervous and confused, she had accepted, well more encouraged him to join her on this evening walk. Now she was asking herself if this was the sort of moment she was secretly hoping for when she did so.

Bridge HW.jpg

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thank you everyone! :) Egypt is a new venture for me, but after reading Tanith Lee's Paradys series I couldn't resist. The character, 'Amunet' by Mihrelle with those lovely gold fantasy textures together with the Bast outfit, using Kleopatra textures from' Queens of the Nile', has been waiting for a while. The rest, apart from our gorgeous Hivewire Leopard of course, is new (to me). Hypostyle Hall is a modular system with various presets. It also came with a set of freebie textures called 'Ancient Glories' which widens it's useful timespan by a few thousand years! 'Anubis' is from a set called Egyptian Statues. Happily for me I had some spare cash available (a small miracle!) so I was able to get just what I needed for a change. The lighting I'm particularly happy with given that I was trying to depict bright sunlight against the shadows in the background. I think it worked though given that I normally use three lights at most theres no way I'm going to admit how many rimlights and parented spots there are hiding about the place! :whistling:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've not yet done many flat-out Egyptian themed renders. But I've been picking up odds and bobs of Egyptian themed content for yonks. Bits and pieces of it have been used as decorative accents over the years. A bit absurdly, the bits that I think have been used most often have been the old peacock feathers and fan from RDNA. Those have made the migration to DAZ. And of course there are the old stuff from Anton at DAZ, in the PC+ collection. Well, those and the Pharaohs of the Sun dress and one of its texture add-ons. I've used that one a *lot*.

It's a really popular theme, with content dating back to, I think, gen2. A search on 'Egypt' brings up a full page of stuff on a store search at DAZ (not counting what's hidden in those horizontal scrolling panels). Rendo has a good assortment as well.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Rather frustratingly to me, a lot of the Egyptian stuff is ancient (pun not intended) and really shows its age. For example, the Children of Aten textures for Pharaohs of the Sun are just beautiful and probably some of the most accurate Egyptian clothing on the market--but the textures are so small that they start to blur even in the midrange. LLF's Bast is absolutely gorgeous but not terribly accurate, aside from the wonderful wig. Ironically probably the single best piece of Egyptian clothing out there is Nefertari for SP3 + Moyra's Shai-Nefer clothing. The shape is very accurate for Old and Middle Kingdom clothing (not so much for New Kingdom, where the tight skirt-like dresses got phased out for more drape-y things) and the textures still hold up reasonably well. Sets and props are often similarly dated. But I think the biggest problem is characters: they all have the wrong skin tone because unfortunately Egyptian ethnicity has gotten tangled up in stupid racially motivated debates. Consequently, it's difficult to find an Egyptian texture that isn't white (which is wrong) or black (which is also wrong). If you want to know what Ancient Egyptians look like, go to Egypt; they're still there. ;) Maybe instead of trying to pigeonhole them into modern concepts of race that didn't even exist at the time, we should take their own portrayals of what they looked like: darker than "Asians" (i.e., Canaanites/Levantines) and lighter than Nubians. :whistling: Of course, one does have to take into account that Egyptian art was typically both stylized and idealized: the ideal woman had light olive skin, jet black hair, and jet black eyes; the ideal man had darker olive skin, jet black hair, and jet black eyes. Can't do anything about the eyes of course, but that's partially why upper class Egyptians wore wigs. Wigs weren't always black, however: sometimes they were dyed red with henna. And of course Egyptian eyes could be brown or hazel, or on a rare occasion even blue/grey/green as one finds on a rare occasion elsewhere in North Africa and the Near East. Brown hair wasn't so common as in the Levant, but it happened. And on top of it all, there were also Nubians and Lybians living in Egypt, who would have been darker and lighter respectively. There were even Nubian and Lybian pharaonic dynasties. All in all, the Ancient Egyptians don't seem to have been very preoccupied with skintone; it was much more important that you were culturally Egyptian. Fun little aside: up through the Middle Kingdom, the Egyptians believed only Egyptians had souls; the New Kingdom, with its territorial holdings in Asia and trade relations across the Mediterranean, finally adopted a broader view of the soul...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, on the low-res textures. That Children of Aten tex has been one of my go-tos but it's old all right. And not in a good way. The base set is updated for newer figures but nobody is revisiting the textures.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I was just informed by my big brother not to screw up and miss mother's day.

My brother and sister live near driving range but I'm so far away that I'm considered to be in almost another state. Luckily she accepts phone calls. If I'm not there, I call early when she is getting her coffee on, and ask if my brother or sister have called in yet. I always tell her the reason I call in first is because I love her most. Does it get me in hot water with my Big Brother and Big Sister? Yes. Is it totally worth it?

Yes.

Happy Mother's day, Mom. Thanks for sewing the letters on my baseball uniform even when you were mad at me. Mom never lets you down.