• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
I was playing with a few materials on Dawn's pilot suit and then came across a program I purchased some years ago but I can't ever remember using. The program is 2nd Skin 2 by Dimension3d and it said it would create a second skin for any character. So I tried it on Dawn and it works very well, so I had the opportunity to use some materials that were never really created to be used on clothes. Very basic at the moment, this is something I need to look into a lot more as it opens up some new avenues for kit bashing.

Skins and suit HW.jpg

quietrob

Extraordinary
That's pretty nice! I had no idea D3D's program worked so well. I found the price a bit prohibitive back in the day but now I might have to rethink that. I personally love second skins in my sci-fi. It reduces the overall size of the render by reducing figures and props which means faster renders and is well suited for comics if that's what's your making. This is a page I made for my comic. Every character on the page is wearing second skins or feathers.

The host of a TV show in my series is narrating the end of the previous universe.
Page_4.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
That's pretty nice! I had no idea D3D's program worked so well. I found the price a bit prohibitive back in the day but now I might have to rethink that. I personally love second skins in my sci-fi. It reduces the overall size of the render by reducing figures and props which means faster renders and is well suited for comics if that's what's your making. This is a page I made for my comic. Every character on the page is wearing second skins or feathers.

The host of a TV show in my series is narrating the end of the previous universe.
View attachment 24318

I love that, great use of second skins. Now I have used the program I am thinking it could also be useful to use on props for lighting effects with the prop having the colour and the second skin providing the glow. I have had so many ideas since discovering this and I really need to play a lot more

D

Deleted member 325

I have always had this requirement to put second skins on a bodysuit or catsuit... not sure why. Doesn't feel right to me just putting them right on the figure. Then again, I am an odd one when it comes to certain things.

A Pilot suit for Dawn was mentioned in previous comments, was this a product I missed somewhere? I need more outfits for Dawn (and Dusk).

Hornet3d

Wise
I have always had this requirement to put second skins on a bodysuit or catsuit... not sure why. Doesn't feel right to me just putting them right on the figure. Then again, I am an odd one when it comes to certain things.

A Pilot suit for Dawn was mentioned in previous comments, was this a product I missed somewhere? I need more outfits for Dawn (and Dusk).

The pilot suit has been mentioned before as I use it a lot, mainly as such outfits are rare. I often play with the materials so I can continue to use it but make it look a little different. The suit itself is the Sci-Fi pilot suit for Dawn by Simon 3d (which happens o be on sale at the other place for another few days). I use a lot of Simon-3D space craft and the pilot suit comes with a dozen or more poses for Dawn that can be used with the Simon's craft and a lot of other crafts with the few tweaks. I also have a the M4 and V4 versions (unfortunately no Dusk version) so I can come up with a flight crew at a push.

Hornet3d

Wise
So I have continued to play with second skins as they are so easy to create. A sci-fi raider outfit that is kit bashed with the use of a second skin and the a play with a cross bow. The furry cross bow is not what I expected but I can see the effect working on clothing. The upper bow sort of shows a force field that could be used on space ships and a number of other figures.

Sci Fi Raider and Cross Bows HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
They are basically a clone of the skin of a figure that effectively hovers just above the figure and has the same material sections of the figure. The program I use builds this from any figure chosen so effectively I have a second Dawn which is fractionally larger than the default Dawn. Where I do no want the skin to show, such as the face, I make it invisible in all other zones I can change the material in much the same way as I could in the figure itself, except I can revert to default by just deleting the second skin. The down side is that the second skin also shows things like toes and the navel but this can be catered for when fit bashing.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
wow, sounds cool. What program do you use to do this? It sounds like it could be fun to play with :D

Hornet3d

Wise
The one I have used is here is '2nd Skin 2' by Dimension3d which can create a skin for any Poser figure. There may be other programs that do the same thing, I purchased this some time ago but only recently started using it. If you are using Dawn other figures there may be a second skin available for that figure but it will only work with the figure and it may be called something different like a skin suit. I know I had something for V4 that I used when I was working with V4.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
"Second skins" are included for free with DAZ Studio... They are called geometry shells, and you can add them to anything. The have the same material zones as whatever they are added to. The offset distance from the base object can also be set to whatever you like. Parts of it can be hidden, either by material zone, or by part of the figure.

glennf

Eager
Second Skins or Second Skinz are often applied over a texture in a paint program like photoshop, gimp or Krita but Geometry Shells are better because they can be added to any texture.