• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Exporting figure from Poser for full body morphing

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Wow that sounds like something I should have known YEARS ago! How does it make programs like 3DSMAX understand Poser/DS groups? Or does it remove all groups, and then adds them back after editing? MAX only understands this kind of group as a split geometry, so if it finds it, it WILL split the mesh. So how does PML handle that? Sounds promising!

ROFL, if I knew the "how" it does its magic, I would write my own. Sorry, I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

Darryl

Adventurous
Hi Ken,

This is why I use PoseMorphLoader by colorcurvature to do all my morphing work. When you use PML to export the mesh, it comes into the modelers as a single mesh, not broken apart into groups, but retains the grouping information for re-importation into Poser.

I understand that 3DCoat does the same, though I recently purchased it, I haven't tried it for it's morphing capability yet.

This is getting interesting, but it appears PML is no longer available on Rendo. I think CC has left the building. Windows only as well so it wouldn't have worked for me. Interested in 3D coat though, as I've been demoing it for texture painting.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This is getting interesting, but it appears PML is no longer available on Rendo. I think CC has left the building. Windows only as well so it wouldn't have worked for me. Interested in 3D coat though, as I've been demoing it for texture painting.

Yeah, CC goes through this about once a year - quits vendoring when he gets frustrated, but you can beg him to do a private sale via paypal.

Since you have 3DCoat, though, I would play with it first.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hehe my question was actually what PML does, not how. I mean, does it help exporting models from Poser, and then import them back? What exactly would it do?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hehe my question was actually what PML does, not how. I mean, does it help exporting models from Poser, and then import them back? What exactly would it do?

Oh, LOL!

It's all python scripting. My workflow is as follows:
Load the model
Load the clothing, conformed
Pose the figure (and clothing)
export the model using PML
export the clothing using PML
save the scene file (you'll need it for when you re-import the morphed models)
Open the modeler and create the morph(s)
I load the posed figure so I can avoid intersections when creating the morph, etc.
Load the clothing.
Create your morph using your modeler's toolset
Export the morphed object file

Return to Poser
Load the saved scene
Using PML, import the morph objects as a FBM
(You will have to load the original exported object, THEN the morphed object. Which is why the scene file save is important. PML won't know what to do if not using the same posed object files when you re-import.)

Save the CR2 with your new morphs.

Here's an example of an exported (posed) object from PML in the modeler.
PMLObjectinModeler.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ooh, understood. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like what GoZ in Poser or DS, right?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Tony, we have a Blender tutorial thread, would it be okay to post links to your videos there? That is if they aren't already there?

thanks

Pen

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Ken, I use GoZ in DS(I haven't used it with Poser) and I have no trouble with morph creation but I didn't with Hexagon either. Until I started using Poser I hadn't heard that there was even a problem. Thanks everyone for the useful info...

One note though...with Zbrush unless you do a manual export to it you lose the groups. You can retain them if you do a manual export and there is also a trick for regaining them in DS that Mec4D wrote about. I haven't tried that yet though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hi Pen! Traci and I were half-discussing this issue on private messages, so sorry you got the subject in the middle. We were not talking about ZB, but instead another program that does what I thought was what GoZ does for ZB, so that's where I've mentioned ZBrush. But when I use ZB with Poser, the only way I could use it was with GoZ. Anything else ended up with unusable morphs, or invalid OBJs with different vertex count, vertex order, and even different scale. I have tried multiple ways of importing/exporting files from Poser or from ZB, but they always explode things. At least GoZ works for me, even when it cannot be used to update existing morphs in Poser, like we can with DS.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds like Poser GoZ works the same as DS GoZ then. Either way I have used manual export and GoZ plus the same with Hexagon with no problems creating morphs. I'm surprised there is an issue with Poser but it's good to know that it occurs so if I'm working in Poser I can account for it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think this might be related to Poser working with split geometry. A lot of people claim to have problems trying to make morphs out of exported OBJs from Poser, where what usually works is to avoid that altogether and use the original OBJ instead. This is where Traci was suggesting this PMF tool that is a Python script for Poser. It apparently exports proper 1-piece geometry to other programs, and allows importing it back afterwards, hence preserving the groups and morphs.

tonyvilters

Inspired
Hello guys, the number 4 video in the Poser2Blender2Poser series talks about this issue and offers 2 possibilities to continue working with a Properly grouped and welded obj file.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Tony, just saw your post about your 4th tutorial video in the Poser2Blender2Poser series at the SM Poser forum. Thanks for posting it here as well.

I also have a rather long (and growing) list of Blender tutorials, in the HiveWire > Software Discussion > Blender forum, and I'm going to add links to your videos on YouTube there as well. ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, for anyone's that interested, I linked up all 4 Poser 2 Blender 2 Poser tutorials Tony Vilters has created in my Blender tutorials links post at the top of the Blender forum.

I will be adding more as he creates them, and posts them on YouTube.

Darryl

Adventurous
So my understanding from previous posts was the Studio would have the same issues exporting a posed figure for morph creation as Poser. Later posts suggest otherwise. I wouldn't mind exporting from Daz to create a Poser morph target. But I'd be using Blender. Is this not possible? Otherwise, maybe I can convince CC to sell me a copy of PML.

tonyvilters

Inspired
OK, I see a next video coming up.
To create a morph, or not?
To create a JCM, or not?
To use the morph brush, or not?

Because most of the time ! ! You need none of the above. :) => It only makes your cr2 more complicated then required.

Possibilities that are often better but rarely used are :

Morph using the weightmap.
Or?
Morph using the bulge map.
=> This is by far the best tool to create for example a biceps when bending the forearm.
Repaint the bulge map, an no need to set anything up at all. :)

Here a quick video demo, that took no more then a few seconds to make.

And the Weightmap and Bulge map go automatically in the clothing in the setup-fitting room.