• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've used magnets on occasion, but never thought of using them to make a plant, grass, or tree bend. I was thinking that in terms of a tree, I could always take it into silo and see what I could get.

Thanks Kerya for the links. I'll take a look at them tonight or this weekend.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am going to be greedy here and say, while I want everyone to feel free to post, I would also like you not the keep your 'piehole' shut. In this particular case I liked the original render but I could also see how your suggestions would change the render quite distinctly. Notice I did not say better, only the person that created it could decide if it improved the message they were trying to convey. If someone takes the time to critique one of my renders I always take the try the changes and on the whole they have improved my render and in the rare case I decided it did not it left in my mind another aspect I should look for in future renders.

I really do think it would be a shame if you crawled back into the woodwork, a lot of Poser users like me have no formal training and the loss of views from somebody with your experience I feel would be a loss.
Exactly. Unless you have formal training, Poser is a learning experience from the moment you install it. I had Poser 8 on my machine for months before I posted my first render. I was on 'rosity all that time taking in as much knowledge as I could. And I got a load of feedback about it. It was a very freshman attempt, and I could have gotten all butt hurt at what I was told. Instead I took what they told me and started to improve.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, I never understood why morphs aren't put into branches of tree and other plant props. Wouldn't be that hard really.

You can pinch the Weather Witch idea! lol I was a HUGE Marion Zimmer Bradley fan, esp her Darkover series and I think she has a book named that! It was a great series. I think well over 20 books!

List of Darkover books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oooops, I was wrong... it's called Stormqueen!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thank you! I have been out for a while to support Pauline, the new Poser 11 figure. I have created Pauline's very first full outfit (Office Lady), and Dawn will be also getting one soon.

In the meanwhile, I have managed to hack Willow's CR2 and extract the head morph only, so now I can mix and match it with other morphs for different results. This is one of them, mixing Willow head with Nissa, but without the otherwise mandatory Willow body! :D

View attachment 1472
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! So cute and funny! :balloon03:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think I tried magnets in DS 3A once or twice while trying to reshape a character's nose (V4 I think), and had no success with it at all.

I guess I should learn how to use them in Poser, as that's what I think Joe uses to set up his hair conversions.

Thanks from me too Kerya. I'm going to check out those links for sure. ;)

Last edited:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Once you get the hang of magnets, you will see you will be using them often in your scenes. Nowadays I feel like if I didn't have magnets, it would be like working with my hands tied up on my back. If you want to get vertex precision in your deformations, you can even get started with magnet weight maps. This nifty little tool is a hidden gem! ^___^

Been trying since P4 and have NEVER gotten a grasp on them. As I have never gotten a grasp on the morph brush, cloth room, swapping morphs between characters (since P4 that I used to understand and use a lot the app available then to swap morphs between Mil2 figures and loved it). Weight mapping? I have the AS Weight mapped V4 and have never found reason to use it. Not sure if all the Perfect and other morphs I always use would work and don't really feel like wringing whatever
and of course the hole animation thing just befuddles whatever is left of the gray matter I have.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I am going to be greedy here and say, while I want everyone to feel free to post, I would also like you not the keep your 'piehole' shut. In this particular case I liked the original render but I could also see how your suggestions would change the render quite distinctly. Notice I did not say better, only the person that created it could decide if it improved the message they were trying to convey. If someone takes the time to critique one of my renders I always take the try the changes and on the whole they have improved my render and in the rare case I decided it did not it left in my mind another aspect I should look for in future renders.

I really do think it would be a shame if you crawled back into the woodwork, a lot of Poser users like me have no formal training and the loss of views from somebody with your experience I feel would be a loss.

uh....thanks.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am not sure I could work without magnets now and certainly not the morph brush even though I was very late to the party not using either for years. I often use magnets to 'pull' hair if my character is lying down and while I use the morph brush to to fix poke through I use it for a lot more besides. for example, the morph brush is great for putting indentations into cushions and pillows so the that figures appear to sink in rather than sitting on top of such things.

Darryl

Adventurous
I am not sure I could work without magnets now and certainly not the morph brush even though I was very late to the party not using either for years. I often use magnets to 'pull' hair if my character is lying down and while I use the morph brush to to fix poke through I use it for a lot more besides. for example, the morph brush is great for putting indentations into cushions and pillows so the that figures appear to sink in rather than sitting on top of such things.

Nothing ruins a render quite as much as a figure sitting on a hard flat couch cushion (after all those hours tweaking your Superfly or iRay materials).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! So cute and funny! :balloon03:

Thank you! 3DU toons are great to mix with other morphs for some different looks. :D

Been trying since P4 and have NEVER gotten a grasp on them. As I have never gotten a grasp on the morph brush, cloth room, swapping morphs between characters (since P4 that I used to understand and use a lot the app available then to swap morphs between Mil2 figures and loved it). Weight mapping? I have the AS Weight mapped V4 and have never found reason to use it. Not sure if all the Perfect and other morphs I always use would work and don't really feel like wringing whatever
and of course the hole animation thing just befuddles whatever is left of the gray matter I have.

Check the magnet tutorials posted by Kerya. New things may look daunting at first, but magnets are actually pretty simple to handle. The weight maps I've mentioned were about the ones you can paint with the magnet's "affecting" sphere to tell it what, where, and how you want things to deform. That gives us a whole new level of control. :)

Once in a while I find new ways of benefiting from magnets, and I can't even think of rigging a figure without the almighty Morphing Tool. The conforming brush with offset control is MAGIC, and something I haven't seen in any other 3D modeling tool I have ever used. Well, 3DSMAX has a conforming brush, but by far it's not as good as the Morphing Tool. SMS has already added the rotation brush I had requested, so the only thing missing there is a translation brush. We can kind of move things around with the push brush, though. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yea, I never understood why morphs aren't put into branches of tree and other plant props. Wouldn't be that hard really.

You can pinch the Weather Witch idea! lol I was a HUGE Marion Zimmer Bradley fan, esp her Darkover series and I think she has a book named that! It was a great series. I think well over 20 books!

List of Darkover books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oooops, I was wrong... it's called Stormqueen!
I love MZB too!

James R.

Busy Bee
Hi folks... I've finally had some time to step away from sci-fi vehicles and get back to some human renders!

Here's a render of DawnSE.

While I'm quite happy with her overall "look", I'm running into Poser Pro 11 and Superfly's "we don't need no stinking subdivision" limits. ;)

On certain portions of her face (chin, neck) she's looking a tiny little bit too much like the chicken-wire sculptures we made in high school art class all those years ago. ...Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

So... What are some simple options for subdivision in Poser Pro 11?

I'm happy to use a script or something, but I don't have hundreds of dollars to throw at ZBrush, nor do I have time to learn Blender.

Does Snarly's Subdivider still exist or work with PP11? What solutions do you use?

I welcome input from the Hive mind on this! :)

Thanks!

DAWN-SE-Test-2a.jpg

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hi James, Great render, I love the expression.
As for the Subdivision, yes it is still in P11. If you have the pro version I think you can change Dawn to the unimesh and add at least 1 level of subdivision. The other option is to soften the shadows in the render settings if you can.

James R.

Busy Bee
Hi James, Great render, I love the expression.
As for the Subdivision, yes it is still in P11. If you have the pro version I think you can change Dawn to the unimesh and add at least 1 level of subdivision. The other option is to soften the shadows in the render settings if you can.

Ah! How did I miss this? Two clicks and the issue is solved. Thanks for the compliment and the help! Much appreciated.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Nice render, James! I recommend setting subdivision only for render time, so it doesn't slow your scenes down as you are editing it. You can do this using the lower subdivision slider instead of the upper one. :)

James R.

Busy Bee
Nice render, James! I recommend setting subdivision only for render time, so it doesn't slow your scenes down as you are editing it. You can do this using the lower subdivision slider instead of the upper one. :)

Thanks! Good advice on the sliders. I've used the subdiv sliders on lots of props/OBJs, but I hadn't tried it on figures.

James R.

Busy Bee
Better! I didn't do a full render again...just spot rendered the troublesome areas.

Working with Dawn has been a pleasure. I'm very pleased with how she moves and morphs. I'm looking forward to seeing (and buying) more textures and clothes for her so I can work with her more often!

Thanks again for the subdiv advice, folks! :)

DAWN-SE-Test-2c.jpg