• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Vanish

Motivated
Well, heck. Miss B, do you remember BASIC? LOL! I wrote very simple computer programs in that... VBasic came out and confused me, but eventually I figured it out.

And then there was COBOL... *shudders!*

I loved BASIC. Wrote a lot of programs in it. COBOL still gives me nightmares of missing periods.

My first computer was an Apple II then a Commodore 64. Since then I've had everything from Intel, AMD, and Apple. I prefer my Macs the most though. : shrug : Probably because supporting Windows for years professionally tainted me.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yay! It was a success :) And so glad you're able to back down to Windows 7, that may make life easier. Don't forget to pick of the free GWX utility to block Win10 junk from downloading. Have it on all my drives, works great.

Oh, trust me... Win 7 gets installed, and set up, and ALL automatic updating/downloading gets blocked before the pc is ever even put online. I've been at this long enough to know better! LOL

I played hardball even with 8.1. Disabled BITS and Superfetch straight away, and made registry edits to prevent THAT from checking for OR downloading updates. :sneaky:

I know how M$ works by now... :roflmao:

skylab

Esteemed
The first computers we had at work were well before the IBM PC...called DecMate...from about 1983 until around 1989. Around 1990 the department sprung for 286 IBM's, and gradually moved up as technology progressed.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I loved BASIC. Wrote a lot of programs in it. COBOL still gives me nightmares of missing periods.

My first computer was an Apple II then a Commodore 64.

I can't blame you on the Windows thing one bit. I would use Linux if WINE worked better with the 3D software... but because Wine is an adapter rather than a true emulator, it's really clunky. And many of our 3D softwares rely on DirectX and OpenGL...

I remember the Apple II's. Never owned one, but knew a family who did. They were fun little machines. I stick to Windows machines nowadays because the cost of Macs are just too much for us. I think they're sleek machines. But too high cost both on initial purchase and the price of parts/maintenance and compatibility issues (though I think the compatibility issues have improved, haven't they?)

BASIC was loads of fun! I hated COBOL with a passion, though. Hate Java and Javascript just as much!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The first computers we had at work were well before the IBM PC...called DecMate...from about 1983 until around 1989. Around 1990 the department sprung for 286 IBM's, and gradually moved up as technology progressed.

Wow, Sky. Yeah, those were way before my time for sure! I remember 286, 386, 486... but that old XT was my first machine. Glorified typewriter, really! LOL But back then it was a high end machine!

skylab

Esteemed
I think maybe you're talking about one of these...some of the members of my family got refurbished XT's like this as a first home computers...and mostly played DOS games with them...haha. Back then they were playing a lot of Mario clones, and Jazz Jackrabbit was always a hit :) Those old drives weighed a ton...all metal cases.

skylab

Esteemed
I just noticed Stezza's render of the Lone Ranger and the Johnny Depp Tonto...haha...so I dug up the silly version I did using Hein...haha.

HEIN TONTO and SILVER.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think maybe you're talking about one of these...some of the members of my family got refurbished XT's like this as a first home computers...and mostly played DOS games with them...haha. Back then they were playing a lot of Mario clones, and Jazz Jackrabbit was always a hit :) Those old drives weighed a ton...all metal cases.
No my Win95 was a 386 with a tower CPU, my Win98 was a 486 also a tower, and my WinXP was a Dell Latitude business laptop. The ones on that site remind me of my old DOS 5.0 desktop. I think that one was a 286.

skylab

Esteemed
The fun part of working with Hein was that he was so short...people used to ask about his size, so I created this comparison to illustrate his relative height.

James sure was bow legged...haha.

hein james comparison.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I used James for awhile when I first started using Poser, simply because he was the default figure that loaded in Poser 6. That's how I got the hang of the difference between Poser and DS, especially in Poser 7 when the eliminated the boxes so that you could work with the figure directly....I learned that I much preferred Poser's way of being able to select body parts by simply clicking on them, and the parameters box became my main tool since I liked posing. I had done posing in DS 1.4....and it was okay, but after trying it in Poser, I realized it felt like more work in DS. I'm so thankful that so far Poser has maintained backwards compatibility, so that scene files still open that were done eight or nine years ago.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

LOL! Yes, that's exactly it! Minus the color monitor; mine could only display in green, white, or amber at a time and that was it! :roflmao:

And... I am now happily installing Windows 7 from a bootable USB flash drive...:sneaky:

IMAG0761.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Lookin' good...looks like you'll be back in the swing by tomorrow :)

Thought I'd mention, DS 4.9 does not go through the thing of insisting on a connection when installing...this version installer is newer than the first time I tried. It does go on about some products not showing until a certain connection is made. I didn't try to push that through because I just wanted to try IRAY...I'm satisfied using DS 4.7 for everything else. Just thought I'd mention it in case you try the newest version download of DS.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
YAY!!!! Go Seliah!! :D

No more 8.1, no siree... take that, M$... :laugh:

Lookin' good...looks like you'll be back in the swing by tomorrow :)

Thought I'd mention, DS 4.9 does not go through the thing of insisting on a connection when installing...this version installer is newer than the first time I tried. It does go on about some products not showing until a certain connection is made. I didn't try to push that through because I just wanted to try IRAY...I'm satisfied using DS 4.7 for everything else. Just thought I'd mention it in case you try the newest version download of DS.

No, Ma'am. No way, no how. I will be sticking to my 4.8, but thanks. I backed up all my 4.8 related installers... I won't touch 4.9 with a ten foot electrified barbed wire pole! :roflmao:

If I want Iray, 4.8 has it... I do not want or need 4.9 anywhere near my pc. :laugh:

Miss B

CV-BEE
IIRC, that comment about products not showing refers to products available through Connect. For that I think you need to be online.

Then again, by the time they're finished, ALL their products will be available through Connect, but as long as you don't have products that are ONLY available through Connect, then it'll just be an annoying popup, or whatever.

Miss B

CV-BEE
No more 8.1, no siree... take that, M$... :laugh:
I wish I had a full install of Win7 Pro. Unfortunately, I was desperate when my Dell Laptop died and I had to rush out and get an "off the shelf" laptop, because it was setup with Win7 Home, so I had them upgrade it to Win7 Pro, but the only actual software I have on disc is the upgrade. I wonder if I can still get Win7 Pro somewhere. I'm not sure anyone's able to sell it anymore.

That's why I've been looking into Linux. M$ has run it's course, as far as I'm concerned.