• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
and the poser background isn't blank by default?

No quite. Poser automatically puts a ground plane that has a sort of grayish texture in any new scene. In p11 it's actually got kind of a skydome to it as well. You can the set it to be a color or hide the ground plane, but the image will still look like it has a background in Poser (when you export the image the background will be an empty alpha area.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Hey eclark, do you mean the alpha transparency (as blank)?

If so, you can retrieve a version with chosen background color in your temp folder located in Apps Data (Windows). There are two temp render folders. One that contains current render (with alpha) that is always replaced by next render, and a temp render folder that holds a succession of temp renders without alphas (showing background color).

This is at least for 3Delight/Cartoon/OpenGL rendering (verified up to DS4.6). As for IRay, I don't know, but I suspect it might be the same.

If this is not what you meant, then please disregard. Although, I hope this might help at least one other out there who might not know about this yet.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
That's okay, eclark. I'm on a PC now, but utilizing Linux (online only - Puppy Linux), but when I want to work I'll boot up Windows XP on this laptop, or go to my PC box which is Windows 7.

Are you using Linux?

Vanish

Motivated
I'm on the other side of the fence. I love the alpha transparency. Makes it easier to manipulate with other layers in post work, if you're not doing a full on scene render.

Sky, if you have an nVidia card you can speed up that render time by telling iRay to use your GPU(s) for rendering instead of the CPU. I can't remember which is set by default. I don't have an nVidia card so CPU is my only option. Also, make sure you check the box for OptiX Acceleration.

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 7.58.50 PM.png

skylab

Esteemed
I forgot to mention it was my nap time, so I disappeared on folks...sorry about that...haha.

Vanish, I'm in the boat with you, I don't have NVIDIA so I have to opt for CPU...that's why I said going for a nap was the only option when rendering :)

Well here's the final big kitty...and I knew full well that I didn't know what I was doing when I hit render, I sort of did it for fun, just to see what would happen. So bit kitty looks like he was left soaking in bleach too long...hahaha.

Big Cat 2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
And Miss B, I somehow faked out the DS 4.9 installation by renaming 4.7 during the installation and my 4.7 is functional...yahoo! That's what I wanted, since 4.9 gives some kind of prompt that certain content won't be available, yada, yada...and I just wanted it to try IRAY. So I've got a fully functional version of 4.7 which will run Genesis 3 content, version 4.6 which was the last one that played nice in the content library, and DS 3. Woohoo, it worked :sneaky: I've got 4.7 and 4.9 open at the same time :)

DS Studio Folders.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
This is weird...now the Smart Content Library is out to lunch, and the Content Library seems to be functional. Again, not an issue...if certain items are a problem showing, I'll set them up in DS 4.7 , and then open the saved scene in 4.9. So far it seems the Genesis figures and certain content require connection in 4.9, but I was able to render a saved scene from 4.7, so I've got access to the figures through the back door so to speak. Here's a quick render, no lights, of Michael 6 scene from 4.7, rendered out in 4.9 (not using IRAY of course).

M6 western in 4.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm on the other side of the fence. I love the alpha transparency. Makes it easier to manipulate with other layers in post work, if you're not doing a full on scene render.
Exactly! I have always done PNG renders with alpha trans. I much prefer that, unless I happen to be rendering a full scene, which is rare. I usually do large scenes in parts, and then composite in postwork.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Sky. Been a busy day, so haven't had much time to cruise the forums like I usually do.

skylab

Esteemed
I kinda ducked out for a nap for awhile, so things kept buzzing without me...that's okay...interesting new input :)

skylab

Esteemed
Message for GG....I finally figured out the mystery of the disappearing content library. If it goes completely empty, look over to the far left hand side, there is a tiny little vertical rectangle...click that, and the pane will expand back out, as illustrated below. When the content library is open and functional, that rectangle ends up begin right in the middle, and can easily be clicked by mistake, closing the whole thing down. It's difficult to see when using the Darkside interface...I discovered it by switching to Highway, which has lighter parts, and then I could see where it was located.

cl2.jpg

cl1.jpg

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Also there is bug with disapearing items in folders - folders is here, but no items. Close-open of tab solves it. Or in my case switch to other tab and back as I have content library in same group as main viewport.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Message for GG....I finally figured out the mystery of the disappearing content library. If it goes completely empty, look over to the far left hand side, there is a tiny little vertical rectangle...click that, and the pane will expand back out, as illustrated below. When the content library is open and functional, that rectangle ends up begin right in the middle, and can easily be clicked by mistake, closing the whole thing down. It's difficult to see when using the Darkside interface...I discovered it by switching to Highway, which has lighter parts, and then I could see where it was located.

Ah ha! I'm pretty sure that was it. I remember that I thought I had gotten comfortable with Daz, and was looking at the other interfaces to see what I liked when I lost the library. So I bet this was the exact thing I did. Daz is a less scary place now.:squee: