• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Not sure about using cheetah as the base. Unlike most big cats they don't have retractable claws. But you're the boss.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Someone get Chris a Vanilla Shake before he models one and tries to enjoy it! LOL (And while you're getting him one, I wouldn't say no to one either ;) )

I like the idea about the endangered cats. The cloud leopard looks a lot like the snow leopard and they're both lovely! When I was young I wanted to have the big cats for pets. Leopards, panthers, tigers, lions. Why? Because I saw something on TV about how endangered they were. I don't have any of the great cats, but my current cat is a tiger striped tabby, dark grey and an orange-ish-brown-ish-grey-ish with white.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well THIS is exciting!! I just checked my wild and mil cat maps... they are 2000 x 2000...so pretty good quality still... and if this kitty is laid out like a "bear rug" in any way, I'd be DELIGHTED to convert my maps for your cats, Chris!! (not for sale, though, as it would take MY hands eons of time... :/ )

I morphed the mil house cat into all my wild cats because, thankfully the person (can't remember his name, he had left DAZ and the modeling world a while after the cat, sadly... as far as I could find out) had MANY groups for PARTS OF THE HEAD, so the house cat was eminently morph-able... and yes, I'd think a big cat (ie: more mesh?) would make a good base for all the feline shapes there are... the main thing that helps is how YOU make the models (like Harry) with MORE body groups, making it soooo easy to pose properly... ooo ooo and got to have an "easy pose" tail, right? oooo this is just SO EXCITING... er... already said that... but it bears repeating! oooo !!! :happyflip:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Someone get Chris a Vanilla Shake before he models one and tries to enjoy it! LOL (And while you're getting him one, I wouldn't say no to one either ;) )

I like the idea about the endangered cats. The cloud leopard looks a lot like the snow leopard and they're both lovely! When I was young I wanted to have the big cats for pets. Leopards, panthers, tigers, lions. Why? Because I saw something on TV about how endangered they were. I don't have any of the great cats, but my current cat is a tiger striped tabby, dark grey and an orange-ish-brown-ish-grey-ish with white.

I think Chris is hungry!

Very kewl!! =) I have three. Ash is the Russian blue and he mostly skulks in the shadows, Church is the black and white long hair domestic who loves the cold, and Buzzsaw (Buzz for short) is on my Christmas card this year.

Just Settled in for a Winter's Nap

We put up our Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving and this year he was our greeting after lunch.

Buzzsaw.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You are sooo right Lyne!! They also have a strange obsession with boxes. NO matter how big or small.

You are the cat expert in my opinion I would say with all of your freebies and coat patterns etc. I need to down load some of them and your foxes.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
It surely is purrrfect. Well done. Good looking cat.

Lyne. It would be great to see you still be able to access your previous map work for sure. Great idea.

The DAZ MilCat1 was modeled by Eric Allen and Rob Whisenant. Rob was production manager at that time. That's what I remember anyway. Debra Ross was responsible for MilCat 2 modeling work. At least she was working on it under my direction before they let me go. I think she finished it under Josh Darling's direction, and others I'm sure. Deb is who I think you're referring to Lyne, as she has left DAZ years ago due to health related issues and is focused on spending time with family. She's a great lady. Loved working with her.

Here's some tweaking work from today so far. I haven't cut up the geometry yet. When I do that the nose and other areas will really take on a cat like look of refinement.

Leopard7.JPG
Leopard8.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Not sure about using cheetah as the base. Unlike most big cats they don't have retractable claws. But you're the boss.

It is going to be based off of a Leopard/Panther for sure. My thinking is that other breeds can come off of it very nicely. Not too worried about the claw bit, for the uniqueness in the cheetah or retractable nature in the others. As long as I model it all correctly, Paul will be able to make his rigging work properly.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Or ... Root Beer Shake :wink:

With Paul rigging, it will definitely be the best rigged animal (other than Harry of course)

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know it's been said before, but it needs saying again. Chris you and Paul are excellent at modeling and rigging. And we need more of you!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Truer words have never been said Tana, that's for sure.

@Chris, now we're talking. Big Game Cats are my favorite feline, though a precious little domestic kittie is nice too.

I'm excited you're planing on a leopard/panther base, because the Snow Leopard is my absolute favorite big cat. :D

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hey Richard, that sounds like a good idea!

I wonder if you could run a poll in a newsletter to take suggestions and then decide on one and the winner gets a prize of some sort.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oh no, it WAS Eric Allen that someone on Rendo told me, anyway... I was just sorry that Eric wasn't the one to do the mil DOG... as it was impossible to morph... which is why I went after the poser wolf for my dog sets...

ANYWAY.... sooooo looking forward to YOUR cat(s) Chris!! Next to horses I am SO A CAT PERSON! LO!

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Please, please, when a house cat appears, can we have a Venus cat. You know, the one with two textures on it's face.

All the best.

Richard

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes Leopard/panther should work for all of those panthera critters...

Last edited by a moderator:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Said cat!

It's actually called heterochromia when you have two different eye colors like that. The alleles exhibit codominance which probably is responsible for the split face effect and since Venus is a female she contains two X chromosomes and that gives her the calico coat. You won't generally find a male calico cat unless they contain an extra X chromosome.

It's a trait that is sometimes exhibited in jaguars and leopards called melanism and occurs about 6% of the time where as you get some with black coats two recessive pairings and then the normal gold and black dominate allele paring and then you get the codominance when you get the mottled black coats, but even in the ones that look solid black if you look very closely you will see the ghosting spot pattern. So generally a black Jaguar or Leopard will not produce a black offspring 100% of the time unless paired with a black pure bred, but you can get a black offspring in the same litter with normal gold and black cubs if both normal colored parents are carriers of the recessive black allele.

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist

Codominance.

It's the same when you get a Palamino. You cross a chestnut and a cremello and through codominance you get the Palamino. You can't cross a Palamino with a Palamino and get another Palamino 100% of the time. You either get a chestnut 25% or a cremello 25% and 50% chance of a Palamino but a bit diluted depending on what gene pairs match up, but it's a little different with horses because it occurs sometimes when you have a carrier of either a chestnut or a cremello gene that are crossed then you sometimes will get a Palamino offspring.

Yes, I know tell me to shut up! My science background is showing. Sorry.

Last edited: