• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help Me Save This from the Scrap Heap

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You can't use the emoticons? Hmmm let me check that out.

They aren't greyed out for me. What "menu items" are greyed out for you Pen?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Poser has depth of field. Would be perfect with that image. Find the settings in the properties of the Main Camera. Then tick depth of field in the render settings. Don't remember offhand what all the settings do but you can widen the focal length so that lots of the image won't be blurred.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
This is how I get drawn into an image... being as I write from left to right like most of us do I also do the same with images .. with this one I hope to get drawn in from the bottom left.. here I follow Indy one of two ways
1. as the arrow shows
2. I can follow the whip travel along the top wall and back down to the tiger.

I get to see the whole image.. I find if I have to come into the image from the tiger I get blocked visually...

I find this also helps with the continuation of the image story by going from left to right... can turn the page so to say..

these are my thoughts and ideas... about how I try to go about doing story images.. others will have totally different approaches.

Do what you like and what draws you in.
Hope you don't mind me fiddling with your image to show what I'm trying to say ;)

1600914810936.png

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh maybe try turning the camera so Indy is higher than the tiger.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh maybe try turning the camera so Indy is higher than the tiger.
That's what I had originally thought, bring the camera down a bit, and setting it so it's looking up at Indy and the Tiger. It winds up being a bit more dramatic than looking straight at them.

That's what I had originally thought, bring the camera down a bit, and setting it so it's looking up at Indy and the Tiger. It winds up being a bit more dramatic than looking straight at them.

I did that a little but the tiger is on a platform/rock slab so if I tilt the camera too much, the tiger goes out of frame and so does Indy's whip. I can try it again. I could also tilt the z-axis and see how that makes things look? What makes it difficult is the leaves on everything are solid white squares in my preview window and block out everything because they use a Superfly cycles material. It makes posing and camera angling a little difficult. I might have to figure out how to hide all leaves and try getting everything into place that way then bring the leaves back but I think they are grouped with the rocks rather than separate. :/

Right now I'm letting my computer rest. I'll get back to work on this scene in the morning. :)

What makes it difficult is the leaves on everything are solid white squares in my preview window and block out everything because they use a Superfly cycles material. It makes posing and camera angling a little difficult. I might have to figure out how to hide all leaves and try getting everything into place that way then bring the leaves back but I think they are grouped with the rocks rather than separate. :/

Two ideas for hiding the leaves while you work out a camera angle: change the item's Display mode to wireframe OR go to material zone for the leaves and make them fully transparent.

I only just now saw this thread, but I agree with many of the comments that were made about the original and also about the revision. I really like the wider aspect ratio of the revision, but if it were my scene, the first thing I'd do is move the camera around a LOT until I found the most dynamic angle for the scene -- and that's not going to be "straight on" like a snapshot of friends. Cuz they aren't friends ;-)

On a related note: whose POV do you want us, the audience, to take? Right now it seems sorta like we're meant to see things from the tiger's POV, only if that were the case, I suspect the man would be much larger and clearer than the background (since that's what the tiger would be focusing on). If you want us to see things from Indy's point of view, then the camera angle may need to change dramatically.

I'd also experiment with the Perspective dial on the Main Camera (if that's the one you're using), as it will automatically adjust several parameters that will either make the subjects appear closer together (along the z axis) or make them appear further apart (again, along the z axis). Right now everything seems a bit too close together, so you might find it more helpful to spin the Perspective dial to the left. (I find it helpful to "memorize" the camera position first before I use the Perspective dial, so that it's easy to get back to "zero," since the Perspective dial has no value associated with it.)

As for DOF, I'm rarely happy with the way that works out in Firefly, but I've had some luck enabling a Z Depth pass in the Firefly auxiliary render options and then using that as the "mask" for the Lens Blur filter in Photoshop. That would require that you use Firefly, however. I don't use Superfly, so I can't help you there :)

Hope this isn't coming too late to be of any use!!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lots of good ideas...

Well the whole line above where I'm type . Maybe I'm in trouble for something...?
I worked it out...I'm posting this in case it happens to anyone else. At the end of the menu is a little icon that looks like a settings button. If you click it the menu comes back and then click it again it disappears. Never noticed it before but obviously it's been clicked at some point.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, I've seen the button and thought it was for settings, but since I've never used any of the icons which needed settings adjusted, I've never clicked on it. Good to know. :)

OK, I just tried it, and it "toggles BB code" which is used on forums. Since I know some of the code, like for adding a linked URL, I've never used it before. Since BB code doesn't use any of the other options, that's why they disappear. Hmmm will have to make a note of that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thought it might be useful to know Miss B. I'm still not sure how I changed the setting. Never played with it before.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Probably a random click you didn't even realize you had done. I sometimes click something I didn't realize I was clicking.

I'd also experiment with the Perspective dial on the Main Camera (if that's the one you're using), as it will automatically adjust several parameters that will either make the subjects appear closer together (along the z axis) or make them appear further apart (again, along the z axis). Right now everything seems a bit too close together, so you might find it more helpful to spin the Perspective dial to the left. (I find it helpful to "memorize" the camera position first before I use the Perspective dial, so that it's easy to get back to "zero," since the Perspective dial has no value associated with it.)

Oh my goodness, all these years and I have NEVER used the Perspective dial that I can remember! This is soooo cool!!! It's one of those "I don't know what it does so best to leave it be" dials. LOL Now I'm going to be playing with it in every scene. :D Now can anyone tell me what "hither" and "yon" do? I've always wondered but never got around to looking it up.

Okay, I'm back to work on this now. Sorry for the long wait. I had another render going that had to finish and I think I'm coming down with something and Mom made me rest all day. Now I've snuck back to my computer room and I'm going back to work. LOL I've made some changes and I'm rendering a new version now. I'll post it as soon as it's finished. I may take it into Photoshop for some extra depth of field blurring but we'll see how it turns out.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Hither and Yon: The area the camera sees is the area between these two values.
Hither: The camera sees nothing before this value.
Yon: The camera sees nothing past this value.
Sometimes called clipping planes.

Oh my goodness, all these years and I have NEVER used the Perspective dial that I can remember! This is soooo cool!!! It's one of those "I don't know what it does so best to leave it be" dials. LOL Now I'm going to be playing with it in every scene. :D

Although I "learned" what it did in my early days of playing with Poser, I didn't really "get" the value of it until about 7 or 8 months ago, when I wanted to frame a shot in a way that just wouldn't fit into the "default" perspective. I went on to play with it rather dramatically in some of my renders, like Sky Glider Launch in 3, 2.., Hein's New Glasses, and Fehn+Vila Enjoy Pride Day-Shooting Gallery. When you first use the dial (in either direction), it can mess with your mind a bit, but once you see something you like and render it, it looks totally normal!

Now can anyone tell me what "hither" and "yon" do? I've always wondered but never got around to looking it up.

Have you ever zoomed a camera out so far that your background prop seems to sort of disappear into the scene's default background color? If so, you ran into that camera's "yon" limits ("yon" as in "yonder"). If you increase the yon value, the part of the background that disappeared will reappear.

If you've ever zoomed a camera in so far that you were looking at eyeballs instead of a face, or at the inner walls of a prop you meant to use as an exterior, then you've run into the camera's "hither" limits (as in "come hither").

Every camera has default settings for hither and yon that are meant to make sense for the type of camera (head and hand cameras have much lower "hither" and "yon" values than the main and aux cameras, for example, and the aux camera has a much larger "yon" value than the main camera does). But you can, of course, change these values, memorize them, and save them to the Camera library, or even use them in a blank scene you tell Poser to open as your default new scene. I often like to do big landscape scenes, so I adjusted my default "yon" value much higher than the default!

As for other camera parameters, you already know what Focus Distance and fStop are for, and as far as I've ever been able to determine, the shutter_Open and shutter_Close parameters don't do anything (any more).