• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
And Janet's last two progress renders.

1.jpg

2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I'm pondering how to create a thorough hair tutorial, so that others can make their own animals in the hair room...it's time that it was updated from the Poser 7 version. Some of it needs an animated view of the process.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, okay, so you got it....hmmm, well...good. I was concerned that folks would find it kind of lame to have to use such an old tutorial...but you're right, the process is still the same...it still works. I used the worm as a beginner project because it was easy to do the sections, and would have fun results.

In the case of the sheep, or like the scruffy dog that you wanted, the key is in the kink strength and kink scale settings, and also the length variance setting gives it that "out of control" look, like the back of Hein's hair in this work in progress render (below) from a very long time ago. You just have to observe with length variance that it doesn't get so out of control that it causes hair to poke through the eyes or other inappropriate places.

hein-partially-bald-641x832_orig.jpg

In order to do something like Archie's hair (below), it calls for increased kink settings...and I usually increased the root and tip width in cases where I wanted to have tight, wavy hair:

archie.jpg

And of course you can experiment with your own creations...using the negative pull down (settings below zero), combined with pull side option in a section of hair gets you this type of result, like the Kon on the right below...haha. If you do the hair in two sections on the top of the head, you can create this kind of effect. Most of the time I used to do all of Hein's hair projects in two sections, parted in the middle, or side, in order to have more pull side, and pull down control of the hair strands. But you can just do one large "puff ball" on top of the head...like I did with my sheep...then I pulled back just a little, and applied length variance, and kink settings.

KON BAD HAIR.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
I see that it does have a little fur texture to it, more like a cave man's outfit, but it did nevertheless work. Some things I learned just like that...they were "accidents" that I used later as techniques. Now that would work perfectly for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" hoodie in my cartoon sketchbook notes...I had wolf characters, trying on fleece hoodies, in the Wolf's Clothing Store....haha. What you've got there in the DAZ render is actually useful information. Just experiment and have no fear of it, and you'll be surprised what you discover :)

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
Well, sure enough, she did...good for her! At least it gets the idea out there :) It must have been passing through Rendo free stuff while I was sleeping today.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Weird. I tried a bunch of times to upload it be kept getting errors. Glad it went through.