• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Alisa! Perhaps it should remain given that Satira has already responder to it and just delete post #55 (the delete request). Please feel free to throw bricks at me for having ten thumbs! :eek:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I wonder if they may be trying to follow DAZ's lead and only provide a Pro version going forward. And maybe simply charge more for "game dev" versions of content.

Dana

Oh a free basic version? How cool would that be!

DanaTA

Distinguished

Well, I wasn't thinking free, like DS, but who knows? I just thought maybe they would abandon the basic and just offer the Pro version going forward. Somehow, I doubt they would offer it for free, though.

Dana

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Oh no Myth! I didn't mean you and others were making an odd assumption about being able to upgrade from Poser 11 to Poser Pro 11! I agree that's an important question (as well as what's happened to Poser 11. Hopefully, both will be addressed before the limited availability sale expires.

No, I was referring to the insistence that the Poser development team must make Poser compatible with Genesis content or that they need to make DSON functional in Poser.

HiveWire has no problem with making their figures native in both Poser and DAZ Studio. Surely, DAZ should be able to do the same. It's not like they have one person modeling and one person rigging.

Honestly, if you're going to emulate someone else's software ... go to the top. Like SideFX's Houdini!

No problem Satira! Thanks to my ten thumbs I hit the post button before I'd finished typing. In answer to your post, yes it does suck having to buy Poser twice especially when I'd lost the first copy to a hard drive crash which effectively destroyed any chance of recovering any data including the Poser licence number. It sucks even more that the crash occurred on a $2000 dollar workstation. It will suck even more if I have to buy yet another copy of Poser 11 Pro at whatever price, just to stay in the game and take advantage of future upgrades.Unfortunately attempts to recover that licence number met with a response I can only describe as watching tumbleweed drifting across and empty desert. Hence my question on Renderosity and here. What has happened to Poser 11? I'm not the only one who is asking and it would be nice if someone over there could be more open and responsive rather than the somewhat selective answers we've had so far. We can only wait and hope! Respect.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You're not the only one with ten thumbs!

I feel like I have 20 thumbs when I have to type on my work laptop's keyboard. I had to do that last week because someone had removed the unifying receiver from my laptop and plugged it into the docking station when they replaced the docking station. Then I remembered I had a spare unifying receiver, so I dug that out of the box and plugged it in so I could use my solar keyboard instead. Too bad they don't ship the unifying receiver inside the keyboard like they do with mice! I dug through the box for the replacement Solar Keyboard, then the box for the original Solar Keyboard, then the replacement box a second time before I finally found it.

Dang things are so small!

eclark1894

Visionary
I can still download Poser 7 f
No problem Satira! Thanks to my ten thumbs I hit the post button before I'd finished typing. In answer to your post, yes it does suck having to buy Poser twice especially when I'd lost the first copy to a hard drive crash which effectively destroyed any chance of recovering any data including the Poser licence number. It sucks even more that the crash occurred on a $2000 dollar workstation. It will suck even more if I have to buy yet another copy of Poser 11 Pro at whatever price, just to stay in the game and take advantage of future upgrades.Unfortunately attempts to recover that licence number met with a response I can only describe as watching tumbleweed drifting across and empty desert. Hence my question on Renderosity and here. What has happened to Poser 11? I'm not the only one who is asking and it would be nice if someone over there could be more open and responsive rather than the somewhat selective answers we've had so far. We can only wait and hope! Respect.
Have you tried talking to Jenn Blake about it?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary

Well, I wasn't thinking free, like DS, but who knows? I just thought maybe they would abandon the basic and just offer the Pro version going forward. Somehow, I doubt they would offer it for free, though.

Dana

Perhaps not surprisingly, someones already asked that over at Renderosity about Poser 11 Pro. Probably someone from amongst the small number of people who seem to think Poser will suddenly turn into Studio Mark 2 with full compatability. While I personally believe greater compatibility would be an advantage which would benefit everyone, perhaps those people would be better off asking Daz why they didn't buy Poser out and get rid of the competition!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I can still download Poser 7 f

Have you tried talking to Jenn Blake about it?

Yes! I spoke to everyone I could get hold of at both Renderosity and SmithMicro, and after a considerable amount of time effectively headbutting a brick wall, I surrendered and bought a second copy!

D

Deleted member 325

I just saw this. Was catching up on all the posts and sending a question over to Renderosity. I would like to think this will be positive in the end. I do have some information not in the announcement - it may clear up some questions concerns, but does not answer all of those in this thread:

Bondware does have access to all previous purchases of Poser and the serial/registration numbers assigned. They have access to the Download Manager which will remain in use through a transition period for existing and previous Poser purchases. If users experience issues they will be happy to help.

I am sure they are inundated with questions and requests right now from Poser users, and from what I understand some decisions and set up has yet to be completed. Given this is fresh, I would not say a lack of response on some questions just yet is sinister or a red flag - I would give them some time to get the transition well established.

I don't know. I use the older models in crowd or distance scenes to populate a scene. They're low resolution and require less resources. They don't bend as well, but they do adapt to Superfly rather well.
I agree. This is exactly why I like keeping older figures handy and prefer not to see them always phased out. Especially for animations.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi Alisa! Perhaps it should remain given that Satira has already responder to it and just delete post #55 (the delete request). Please feel free to throw bricks at me for having ten thumbs! :eek:

LOL, no bricks ;)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I showed Jenn the thread here and told her people were wondering if they bought all versions of Poser and were they going to develop it. Here's what she replied back:

We purchased ALL versions of Poser. We are the only owners of any Poser Software going forward.

We are only going to broker Poser Pro 11 only and price that at the low price of Poser 11 so that EVERYONE can have full access to Poser 11 and Poser 11 Pro. So everyone can use the same great piece of software.

Jenn

skylab

Esteemed
Now that sounds good...I was wondering that, if they would just continue to develop the Pro version and lower the price...that's great for all concerned. When I purchased my license at sale price yesterday, I upgraded off of an old Poser Debut purchase, just to see if it would work, and it did. So if you have something old, as far back as Poser 6, it will work. There's apparently no option to sidegrade to Pro from 11 for the reason Janet has posted. Sounds like something that should be pursued by email...repeatedly, until the issue is resolved in a common sense fashion. I'm sure they will be fair about this.

:bee:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I showed Jenn the thread here and told her people were wondering if they bought all versions of Poser and were they going to develop it. Here's what she replied back:

We purchased ALL versions of Poser. We are the only owners of any Poser Software going forward.

We are only going to broker Poser Pro 11 only and price that at the low price of Poser 11 so that EVERYONE can have full access to Poser 11 and Poser 11 Pro. So everyone can use the same great piece of software.

Jenn
YAY Jenn!!! That is VERY good news. Thanks for posting her reply Janet.

skylab

Esteemed
This idea just came to mind...apparently it's a Smith Micro issue, because of it being old licenses. So, wonder if Smith Micro could agree to give folks who fall into that sidegrade gap a Poser Debut license to use to upgrade to Poser Pro 11, when they show proof of purchase or a serial to Poser 11? Just a thought, and something that could satisfy both the already established upgrade process, and Smith Micro.

eclark1894

Visionary
This idea just came to mind...apparently it's a Smith Micro issue, because of it being old licenses. So, wonder if Smith Micro could agree to give folks who fall into that sidegrade gap a Poser Debut license to use to upgrade to Poser Pro 11, when they show proof of purchase or a serial to Poser 11? Just a thought, and something that could satisfy both the already established upgrade process, and Smith Micro.

That would be highly illegal since they no longer own ANY version of Poser. Renderosity has said REPEATEDLY that they will honor ANY previous version of Poser for an upgrade. And since from now on, they only sell one flavor of Poser, you'll only get Poser Pro.

skylab

Esteemed
If you've made a purchase yet, the process involves checking eligibility through the Smith Micro site, and it actually looks at first as if the purchase will be made there, then it switches back to Rendo. What I'm suggesting involves a handshake agreement between Rendo and Smith Micro, the same way they are currently doing in order to process transactions. Some kind of assigned number has to be used in order to pass through the process. And we're talking about solving a temporary issue that's occurring now...not something that would be ongoing. Constructive suggestions or possibilities, or variations of them, might be helpful...and I have been through the purchase process, so I have the benefit of that experience.

eclark1894

Visionary
Then, I'll take you at your word. But I did follow the new link for buying Poser on press release page. It took me to where it directed me to Renderosity or Paypal.

D

Deleted member 325

I would suggest that those with a P11 serial reach out to renderosity through their email and ask directly. Since it has been confirmed renderosity intends on eliminating the standard version and making Poser a 1 version software I would also suggest to try this - open your SM Download manager and enter your serial number - see what versions/files become available. I suggest this as they say they honor all previous serials numbers so it may be they have made the full Pro version available to those who already have a P11 Serial. I can not test this myself, but it is worth a try.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Entering your Poser 11 licence number gives the following:
Updates Poser 11/Poser 11 Pro to the latest version.
Version 11.1.1.35510 available.

That's the version I'm currently using so no upgrade in that direction.

While the reply from Jenn Blake is of great interest and I am sure will be greeted with joy by many, myself included. However, that still does not address the original question which has been yet asked again over at Renderosity:

"If you have poser 11 can you also upgrade for a reduced price to poser 11 pro?"

To which Jenn Blake replied:

"The Poser Pro Upgrades have to entry points. Please check the products. Each has the previous version you can update from. All are good on all versions of Poser, you do not have to currently have PRO to upgrade to pro."

And checking (again) the upgrade page clearly states:
Poser Pro 11 Upgrade from Poser 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 or Poser Debut

To Upgrade to Poser 11 Pro you must currently own a serial number from another version of the Poser Software that is Poser 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 or Poser Debut. Please be sure you are currently licensed with a valid Poser Serial number that is listed here to complete install of Poser 11 Upgrade.

It is obvious that Poser 11 is notable by its absence. It is equally obvious that Jenn Blakes response to the above question is somewhat evasive when the product page is clearly stating that Poser 11 is not included in the upgrade. Mores the pity that no one at Renderosity is willing to give a straight answer to a simple question. Yes! The fact that dropping Poser 11 Pro's price which was always bordering on the realms of the ridiculous is most welcome. On the other hand, being excluded from taking advantage of the current upgrade price because of the Poser version you own is only going to lead to further alienation in an already much-reduced support base. I may be an optimist, but I had hoped that Renderosity's buyout would have lead to greater clarity and openness right from the start. Time to stick my head back in the sand methinks!