• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire Gorilla From Dusk Underway!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am really loving these WIP threads guys...top stuff and it makes me appreciate the work that goes into this and reflects the price so I don't feel so guilty about buying it. LOL Seriously though it has a positive effect in the sense of us, vendors and customers alike becoming more of a community and not us and them mentality.

oh and great work Chris...you got some skills dude.

Totally, 100% agreed. Very well said, Szark. :)

And I so agree with you. I love the WIP threads -Chris has led the way with doing that and other CAs are doing it as well. Not everyone feels comfortable with it, and that's ok, but for the ones who do, it's great!

It's kind of funny. I remember the (for me it was) big thread over on the Daz forums back when I was making Nathan Tlaloc (he was an M4 skin). At the time, I was amazed that it had garnered so much interest, as for the most part my freebie posts over there would usually only see a couple of posts. The WIP threads really do seem to do a great job of engaging the folks who will be receiving the file when you're done.

I don't know about Chris... but for me, I like to do the WIP's partly because I think they can help newer folks learn, and partly because it gives me, as the creator, a chance to get some input from the end user. It allows us to tailor the package a little bit more to what folks would really like to have in it.

I feel that it engages the rest of the community a bit better if they can have some input on things and sort of help shape up how a product goes together. It gives them a little bit of a hand in what ends up going into the store... becomes a sort of community project, and I like that. A lot.

---------------

Chris... dayum, what more can be said? LOL I love your WIP threads; I love watching the progression of your modeling, and no matter how many of your threads I watch, I am always mindblown at your modeling skills. I also love the fact that you have such a good understanding of anatomy. It's so hard to pair that understanding with the actual modeling part of things, and you do it very, very well. Loving this gorilla, too, and can't wait to get my hands on him!

Keep rockin' the models. We're loving them! :laugh:

Last edited:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I especially like the WIP threads because we can offer suggestions that more often than not get noted and incorporated. Where do you find THAT kind of community anywhere else? Nowhere, that's for sure.

Definitely - and even if the suggestions aren't all incorporated, they are noted, and people are listened to. That's special.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this place?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I like the wip threads also...they're an opportunity to learn as well as give input. In my own thread it's a way of marking where I'm up to and keeping track of my progress as well as getting input from others. Which reminds me it's been a while since I posted in my thread due to being back at work.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In my own thread it's a way of marking where I'm up to and keeping track of my progress as well as getting input from others.

And just to add to that... for me it also actually helps keep me moving forward on the project. If I know I there are folks waiting for the next round of test renders, or the next round of preview renders, or some sort of update... when I know there are those expectations, it actually helps me keep from getting distracted away from the project, too. I am so horribly ADD it's pathetic. LOL. And aside from the learning, the opportunity for others to give input on the package, it just helps me SO much to stay "on task" when I know I have folks waiting for the next update. ;)

Szark

Awesome
Great positivity and great points about the community driving the creative process to make something possibly better...so cool.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
And just to add to that... for me it also actually helps keep me moving forward on the project. If I know I there are folks waiting for the next round of test renders, or the next round of preview renders, or some sort of update... when I know there are those expectations, it actually helps me keep from getting distracted away from the project, too. I am so horribly ADD it's pathetic. LOL. And aside from the learning, the opportunity for others to give input on the package, it just helps me SO much to stay "on task" when I know I have folks waiting for the next update. ;)

I know, I use them for the same reason. Once I have "mentioned" a new project in a WIP thread I must finish it because people are waiting for it :D

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow, you folks are way too kind. But I do appreciate your support.

Working on the Gorilla more today and tonight. Reshaping things to a better looking base. Feel much better about it. Worked over feet and hands, torso, butt area, beefing up lower legs and forearms to support a thicker hair look as well.

Can't remember if I mentioned here that Virtual World has agreed to take a crack at doing the texture maps. Excited for this. She'll do a great job on this beast. I'm sending her an obj to get things going now. And the UVs are the same as Dusk.

GorillaWork44.JPG
GorillaWork45.JPG
GorillaWork46.JPG
GorillaWork47.JPG
GorillaWork48.JPG
GorillaWork49.JPG

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You must have read my mind Chris I was just wondering what he would look like dialed in at a smaller percentage.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Beautiful, Chris!

I would, personally, love the ability to be able to dial in legs, arms, head, and body at separate values. But I know that's a lot of work to make those all extra dials. I only mention it because I do a lot of hybrid style/animorph styled renders and being able to have some human features and some animal features together is a huge help.

Either way - he's looking great! Can't wait to see him arrive. :D

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'd really like to be able to dial the torso separately as, like I said earlier, that torso shape is a common one around my neck of the North and it would be choice to be able to dial it in. Not that I go round telling my mates they have the body shape of a gorilla. Though maybe I should...