• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Terre

Renowned
We're all concerned about his Common Law wife. New Mexico is one of the states that only recognizes legal marriages so we're putting together money to help her. One of his granddaughters is going to pay for the funeral with funds from an automotive settlement of some sort.
At least you have many good memories of Pete. Missing someone like that is better than not having met him though it's harder on you.

Terre

Renowned
My mother's description of the micorburst incident from her blog post about the trip.

At 6:30 I began writing these notes. I had just survived the far outer edge of a tornado for the second time in my camping life. I was sitting in the tent reading a book to keep my mind off the surrounding storms.I heard a whirring sound outside the left side of my tent. Less than a minute later the whole front of the tent lifted and tried to rollover. The other edges began lifting, also. The tent had come completely loose from its moorings. I pushed the large patio table off me and worked my way frontwards. The rim around the bottom of the door hit me in the chest. The worst thing was that I had a basin of water sitting on the floor near the door. It turned over and the large puddle got part of the floor and some gear wet.

I waded thru the puddle, got my feet in my shoes, stepped out and grabbed one corner tent pole because the tent was trying to blow away into sage and yucca and prickly pear cactus (with beautiful yellow blossoms today) and other prickly things that would have poked many holes and shreds in Agnes. All of a sudden the tent took off, about a foot off the ground, pulled me to the ground, and drug me several feet. It lodged against a small berm. That, plus the weight of my body, stopped onward movement but the wind was still exceptionally strong. It seemed to be going at 100+ mph and I was determined not to let go. In my mind I thought of pictures of people and cartoons in which something similar was happening. I wondered if I could hang onto the tent long as long as the wind would blow.

I let go of the pole with my right hand and fished around in the belt holster and popped my smart fone out. I tried to call Terre but the connection would not go thru. No wonder, there was a ferocious cloud over us all. I then tapped a text message and sent it. In about a minute the text did manage to get gone.

At that moment four neighbors came to help. And, also at that moment, the wind diminished spectacularly and in the calm came rain and a few pieces of hail. I pulled some heavy items out of Agnes, then the neighbors helped me move her to firmer ground. They held her down while I hammered stakes into her holding loops. She seemed unhurt. My bedroll and the top layers of the camping foam under it were dry. On me, the wettest thing was my bluejeans.

I thanked the neighbors and finished putting the gear that had ejected out of the tent back inside. Just as I finished, Terre and Jim drove up. I told them what had happened. Jim suggested that a small microburst had hit my campsite. I later found out that none of the RVs had felt the extraordinarily strong wind.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, that's a very detailed description she wrote. Not sure I'd want to go through that sort of event, or that I would've survived it as well as your mother obviously did.

Terre

Renowned
I didn't settle down until the radar made it clear that the storm had mover NE and she was clear of it. She did tell the ranger who lives on site about the incident the next day and the ranger duly passed the story on. With there being no instruments at her campsite her anecdote is the only info but even things like that can add up to useful info for learning more about how these storms work.

Terre

Renowned
Laughing right now. While sending a "Good morning" text to my mother on my flip phone I accidentally held the # key a bit too long while changing text modes and discovered that this is the command to switch between English and Spanish letters in my phone. As a result I deliberately used an ene (?) for the first n of morning and an accented o for the last o in the same word. My mother and brother are now working on figuring out how their smart phones can do the same thing. LOL

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yesterday was National Donut Day...we went down the street to Dunkin' Donuts and got a couple of donuts! I got Boston Cream. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm… They don't have a lot of variety anymore. Disappointing.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
That's mean. Get them going crazy trying to figure that out. What if their phones can't do it? :laugh:

Dana
If it's possible neither has figured it out yet. There is a symbol table mother has found but that's not the same thing. The wavy line that makes an "n" into an "ny" in Spanish is there but can't be inserted above a letter. She says it's just the symbol for infertility.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Laughing right now. While sending a "Good morning" text to my mother on my flip phone I accidentally held the # key a bit too long while changing text modes and discovered that this is the command to switch between English and Spanish letters in my phone. As a result I deliberately used an ene (?) for the first n of morning and an accented o for the last o in the same word. My mother and brother are now working on figuring out how their smart phones can do the same thing. LOL
I often do that with letters when texting to my personal trainer at the gym, as he speaks Spanish. By the "ene" I assuming you're referring to ñ, which I use whenever I respond to him "Sí Señor!"

I'm not sure all the letters on a cellphone have alternates, but certainly all the vowels do, and several of the consonants have them as well.

Terre

Renowned
I don't remember how the name is spelled but that is what I meant. I've always pronounced it as "enye".

Terre

Renowned
That is the correct term for English. Spanish actually has a name for it and it's something like what I way trying to write. Like the old German letter that is a double s. It isn't much used anymore but does have a name. I remember it being pronounced as something like "esset". Been way too many years to be certain I'm completely right on the sounds.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, if I think of it on Sunday, I'll ask my trainer and see if he knows. His father and late mother both have/had Spanish as their first language. Richie and his brother were both born here, so English is their first language, but they're both fluent in Spanish.